school/ travel ball question

jeremiah_250

Reaction score
My question is if a 6th grader is playing on a 7th grade team can she still practice with her travel team? I know that when girls are in 7-12 grade they can't practice/ play with their travel team while school ball goes on but I didn't know about a 6th grader playing for a 7th grade team.

Dawgsdad

Reaction score
6th, 7th and 8th graders can participate in both if the the school team is a club team and not sponsored by the school. If so, the answer is no.

jeremiah_250

Reaction score
Since they wear uniforms with the school name and use buses to get to away games I would say they aren't a club team and a school sponsored team

VE_05

Reaction score
6th graders are not permitted to play middle school ball.

FastBat

Reaction score
/\/\/\They are if it's not sanctioned.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is school sponsored - 6th graders are not allowed to participate.........
Better be careful!

Bob_Himmelein

Reaction score
if a school is Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) member, 6th graders are not permitted to play on Middle School and up teams. Almost all schools are OHSAA, but even if they are not (usually only small or private schools) are OHSAA members. If they are not OHSAA programs they can have rules as they want, but may have issues with insurance and getting OHSAA opponents.

Club sports are different, as someone stated above they can use younger players, but I would make sure the insurance is OK as well.

The penalties and actual rules are spelled out in OHSAA rules and by-laws, but I believe the game is forfeit and player may lose eligibility and go up for repeated offenses on player, coach and school.

Players eligible for JV/Varsity who play/practice with travel team can lose eligibility and I believe coaches can be sanctioned as well, again not sure exactly, but the conversations I have heard over the years seem to indicate, few want to take the risk of having a player doing both HS and travel ball at the same time.

Good luck figuring out HS rules and regulations,

mike_dyer

Reaction score
The penalties and actual rules are spelled out in OHSAA rules and by-laws, but I believe the game is forfeit and player may lose eligibility and go up for repeated offenses on player, coach and school.

My question was about junior high. How could it even be policed or enforced?

When my son was in junior high there were rues too. Stupid ones. No idea how they could possibly enforce them.

I drove him to Pennsylvania a lot and entered him in stuff under his middle name and last name. We still got mail from colleges in PA for Anthony Dyer up until last year. ;)

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Who polices this?

What are the penalties?

Hopefully the AD is keeping track if it is a school sponsored team!
If it is, I'm sure they do not want to break any rules, especially a silly one like having an underage player playing..........

Now, if a club team - I have seen 5th graders & girls from out of the district on those teams.

FastBat

Reaction score
But, aren't some middle schools just throwing together club teams?

mike_dyer

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all of the middle school teams in my area of the state are club teams.

brownsfan

Reaction score
My understanding (how it was explained to me) is that before a MS becomes an OHSAA sponsored sport, it must go through two years club status which in turn must adhere to the OHSAA rules. This was when my dd was in 8th grade and our second year of club status. I was told by numerous people (her current HS coach, MS AD, HS AD, etc) not to allow her to play in any non-scholastic event. Luckily for us, most of her team was freshmen so it didn't matter.

swaves

Reaction score
Every year the question comes up about HS players and their travel teams.

For players playing on a sanctioned Ohio school softball team - Middle School up to High School. Once a player competes in a school scrimmage or game she is not permitted to participate in her travel ball team practices, scrimmages or games until her school team has completed their season. She IS permitted to seek individual instruction from an instructor ? hitting, pitching etc. and can attend softball ?clinics? for which she has paid an individual fee to attend.

Over the next couple months we will open the Hawks HIT Center in Middletown on the weekends to all Hawks players. Players will be free to come and go on their own to hit with our pitching machines, and to pitch or throw in the pitching lanes. Players can meet and work out together as well. There will be adult supervision, I will be there giving hitting lessons on Sundays. All of this is permissible for Ohio HS players will HS softball is in season.

It is probably a good idea that the player talk to her HS / School coach if they plan on going to a clinic or continue instruction .. some coaches have a personal preference that their players cease all activities that don?t involve the school team once they hold their first high school practice.

From OHSAA

Subject: RE: Softball Non-Interscholastic Participation

A softball player can participate with their non-school team up until the time she becomes a member of the school team. She would become a member of the school team when she participates in a school contest, which could be a scrimmage or a game. As soon as she competes in either one, she must cease all non-interscholastic participation. It is not necessarily the school team, it is the individual player, thus the date for initial competition may vary from student to student.

The actual regulation states (Gen. Reg. 8.3, page 65 of the current OHSAA Handbook), "Individual skill instruction may be received in any sport by a squad member at any time in individual or group lessons from non-school coaches provided that these individual skill instructions do not violate any Board of Education, school administrator's or coaches' policies.

Receiving lessons is not the same as playing team softball.

Roxanne Price, Assistant Commissioner
614.267.2502 phone

4080 Roselea Place
Columbus, OH 43214

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
Clear as day for the start date.... what about the end date?? can that vary from school team to individual player also I wonder

From OHSAA

Subject: RE: Softball Non-Interscholastic Participation

A softball player can participate with their non-school team up until the time she becomes a member of the school team. She would become a member of the school team when she participates in a school contest, which could be a scrimmage or a game. As soon as she competes in either one, she must cease all non-interscholastic participation. It is not necessarily the school team, it is the individual player, thus the date for initial competition may vary from student to student.

Roxanne Price, Assistant Commissioner
614.267.2502 phone

4080 Roselea Place
Columbus, OH 43214

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
This is what stinks and it has to be happening all over. Daughter is a young 04 and in 6th grade, most of her team is older 04s putting them in 7th grade. Next year, when daughter is eligible to play MS softball, most of her team doesn't have middle school sports, so I imagine that our team will be participating in tournaments during the Spring season causing us to choose between travel ball and school ball. The year after that, her 8th grade year, it won't matter because most of her team will be in HS ball and we won't have to worry about choosing because everyone will be in school ball.

So she doesn't play school ball in 7th, but can in 8th --- OHSAA...smh

There is another Gahanna girl that this is happening too also....

Stedman00

Reaction score
They are released to go back to summer teams when school team is eliminated from playoffs. OR if they are on JV and not pulled up to varisty for tourney run,

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
They are released to go back to summer teams when school team is eliminated from playoffs. OR if they are on JV and not pulled up to varisty for tourney run,

What about middle school?

For example: Final MS Game on Monday, May 15th, if my daughters has a travel team tourney the 13th/14th --- Could I tell MS coach, her final game is on the 12th -- so in that case, can the end date vary from school team to individual player as it does in the start date.....

Skeeter

Reaction score
In the GWOC conference the middle school has an end of season tournament and players are not released until the team is knocked out of the tournament.