Scorekeeping & illegal pitch

backstop09

Reaction score
Bases loaded, illegal pitch. Runners advance. Does batter get RBI? How do you score the runners advancing?

snoman76

Reaction score
An illegal pitch in Fast Pitch Softball is similar (but different…hmmm…one more new article to write in the future) to a balk in baseball. If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch, the ball is not put in play (note that most illegal pitches in Softball are a delayed dead ball unless the batter hits the ball), and a run scores as a result of the illegal pitch, the batter does not get credit for an RBI as she did nothing but stand there to drive the run in.

FastBat

Reaction score
Not an RBI!

Could it be scored as fielding/pitcher's error maybe???

I wish I was a better scorekeeper, lol.

raidian70

Reaction score
Google "ATEC softball scoring". Not sure the answer, but I guarantee you will find it in there.

SoCal_Dad

Reaction score
An illegal pitch in Fast Pitch Softball is similar (but different…hmmm…one more new article to write in the future) to a balk in baseball. If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch, the ball is not put in play (note that most illegal pitches in Softball are a delayed dead ball unless the batter hits the ball), and a run scores as a result of the illegal pitch, the batter does not get credit for an RBI as she did nothing but stand there to drive the run in.
IP's are a delayed dead ball except when plate umpire kills the pitch before they're in their delivery. IP is nullified if it hits the batter (HBP) -or- the batter hits the ball, reaches base safely and all runners advance at least 1 base. Most rule sets then give the offense the choice of taking the results of the play or enforcing the IP.

The batter doesn't get an RBI if their PA continues after the IP. Otherwise, I'd give the batter an RBI if they would have without the IP.
- Batted ball drove in a run and then enforcement of the IP also resulted in them scoring.
- The pitch was ball 4 and the bases were loaded (i.e. shouldn't be penalized by coach taking IP instead of play).

Last edited: