scoring question

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
Less than two our very fast runner on first and speedy lefty at the plate. Batter hits a routine ground ball to second baseman's right who was already cheating toward the hole. She fields it tries to tag the runner going to second but the runner makes an athletic move and avoids the tag - safe at second. Fielder then throws to first base but not in time.

Had she thrown to either base it would have probably been an out. Fielder's choice on the out at second, or ground out on the batter. But the time she wasted missing the tag allowed the batter to be safe. Still fielder's choice?

Maxdad

Reaction score
Based on your description, even though no error occurred and the runner was safe at second, if the initial play would have been to first and the batter would have been out, score the FC. That's how I would score it.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Technically it's a fielder's choice if the scorekeeper judges that if she had thrown to first initially, she could have got out the batter. As far as the batter goes, fielder's choice has the same impact on the batter's BA as the ground out.

With all of that being said, if I had any doubt whether the batter would have been safe since she was speedy, I might be tempted to give her a hit.

Maxdad

Reaction score
Tempted to give a hit if you're on offense.......more tempted to give a FC if you're on defense. LOL

City Slicker

Reaction score
Hit. There is no official stat for mental errors

Heavy Hitter

Reaction score
Based on the way you are describing it would be a fc. You said the B/R was fast and if you think she would have beat out throw if second baseman went straight to first then you could give her a hit otherwise it would be a fc.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A routine ground ball fielded cleanly by the 2B - that would be a hard one to find a way to give someone a hit on that!

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
Thanks for the sanity check. FC it is, I changed it from a hit.