Scoring Question

Maxdad

Reaction score
Runner on third two outs...strike three swinging....ball gets by catcher....catcher throws to first over 1B to right field....batter safe at first. Run scores. A good throw would have gotten the third out at first. I score it a Kd3 /E2 on the throw unearned run. Then I get to arguing with myself about different scenarios and asking myself "what if" questions:

1. Same as above except a wild pitch. Still charge error on catcher? I'm not sure.

2. Same as above but good throw gets the out at first. One side of me says run from third cannot score regardless of when she crossed the plate (before the out at first) because it is a force at first. The other side of me said last night in the 24° wind chill that the run would count if crossed the plate before the out at first. This morning writing this I realize I was right. Run cannot score on a force out regardless of when she crossed the plate.

3. Same as above except catcher just drops ball. Runner flat out beats the throw. Run scores. Error on catcher for the passed ball? I'm not sure. Unearned run?

City Slicker

Reaction score
A good throw would have gotten the third out at first. I score it a Kd3 /E2 on the throw unearned run

- That is correct.

Same as above except a wild pitch. Still charge error on catcher? I'm not sure.

- A wild pitch is a wild pitch.... not an error. But if a good throw still would've gotten the runner, E2.

Same as above but good throw gets the out at first. One side of me says run from third cannot score regardless of when she crossed the plate (before the out at first) because it is a force at first. The other side of me said last night in the 24° wind chill that the run would count if crossed the plate before the out at first. This morning writing this I realize I was right. Run cannot score on a force out regardless of when she crossed the plate.

- Correct

Same as above except catcher just drops ball. Runner flat out beats the throw. Run scores. Error on catcher for the passed ball? I'm not sure. Unearned run?

- Yep, an unearned run - not E2 because a passed ball is a passed ball and not an error.

Here's a simple way to do all of this..... get Gamechanger and let that program do it all for you!

Maxdad

Reaction score
Was not actually scoring this game, just a how would I have scored it type of thing. I have used iScore and Gamechanger in the past. Very useful. Thanks for clearing up the error issues I had running around my frozen brain last night.