SEC   all that??

Tidbits of interest the next time you sit down beside someone who thinks the SEC is all that.

Now I know the SEC is a tough conference but we'll never know exactly how good they are because the conference simply doesn't play many non-conference road games. Combine this with how most of the Bowl games are located in the South and West coast they also enjoy "home field"
advantages the schools from the East, North and Midwest don't. I came across this website last night that validated this....

I wasn't the least bit surprised to find the following:

* Georgia has traveled a total of 358 miles for nonconference road games since 1998. By comparison Ohio State has traveled 7,222 miles for nonconference games during the same timeframe and will be playing USC next September on the road not to mention home/away games already under contract with the Miami Hurricanes, Cal Bears, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma in the next few years.

* Teams from the Southeastern Conference hold down seven of the top eight spots for teams having traveled the fewest miles.

(This includes Florida, which last played a nonconference road game outside of the Sunshine State on Sept. 21, 1991, at Syracuse.) This is an incredible stat!

Here's the sites that detail each conference / school and their respective travel details.

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2007/12/who-travels-who-doesnt.html

http://www.mapgameday.com/travels/

Re: SEC ? all that??

Oh no, just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water

No reason to travel for the SEC since all the talented schools are down south in the same states with them! Look at the other schools in the southern states compared to what is up north. Heck look here in Ohio alone and OSU`s non-conference Ohio schedule.
Take the schools in the states of Florida,South Carolina,Georgia,Kentucky,ect....
I know hating the SEC is the new fad (like bashing Bush) but they deserve all the love they do get. They have the long track record to boot!

Im happy to see Ohio State back in the title game and I would like to see them upset LSU, but it wont happen. That coach from LSU (Les Miles) is a freakin nut case! I told people on here last year when OSU was heavily favored over the Gators that Florida would win. SEC is the powerhouse in football,just like the ACC is the powerhouse in basketball.

Yes I will take some fun (and hated) ribbing for being an SEC fan and having the view that will rival most others on here. But hey that what makes this forum fun!

LSU - 31
OSU - 20

Just don't buy into all that you said Lake. When a bunch of teams say they are good and play each other doesn't really warrant the fact they don't travel. I'll go with the facts presented in the Topic Starter message. Just like the facts last month that destroyed the myth SEC being stronger than the Big 10 on a overall basis. By the way there were 45 former Buckeyes that played in last weeks NFL games

It's all smoke and mirros with the SEC. A big made up media myth. The SEC athletes are no faster than USC, OSU, OU, Oregon or any other big time school. Everybody talks about SEC speed. They are all fast in big time programs. The SEC is perpetuating a myth on the past legacies of teams that are "supposed to be good." Only two in the SEC are worth this year of being called good, Georgia and LSU. OOHHH but look who they have to play!!!!!, The SEC is a meat grinder!!!!! Please, look at the SEC.

Auburn - nope
Alabama - sorry
Florida - still milking win from last year
Tennessee - not yet
Kentucky - nuff said
Arkansas - One hit wonder

Then you have the Northwesterns

S. Carolina
Ol' Miss
Miss St.
Vanderbuilt!!!!!!!!!!

21-27 for the bottom dwellers.

OSU would do just fine in the SEC.

could someone tell me the last time osu won a bowl game vs a sec team?

The SEC is strictly a deeper conference then the Big 10 right now. We need Illinois to sustain their level, they are a must for us to get back to the top. PSU is going to be OK, OSU and Michigan are well OSU and Michigan. But it cant be the big 2 and little 8 (9) anymore year in and year out. Penn State and MSU must become Legit players, if they do, we will be better then the SEC, alllllllllllllll that being said...

I think OSU is a better team then LSU. OSU got blindsided last year, happens all the time to all types of teams, 1 game is not a trend. LSU's strength is OSU's strength and I belive OSU is stronger in those areas. I dont think LSU is going to be able to run the ball, and in case anybody has noticed this little talked about fact, LSU corners are VERY weak, OSU will run, LSU will stack the box, OSU will hit the short routes because the corners have to give cushion and OSU will dominate the Clock.

So my prediction is this. OSU 28 LSU 14.

I cant say it, so I will just say...Go Big Ten!!!!!

WOW I hope you buckeye fans realize that was just posted by a wolverine fan...and very well said
nice job uber.... I agree..but will the loss of OSU`s 2 cornerback`s hurt any on the defense???

I dont think so, one thing JT does really really well, is check his ego at the door. If he needs to double or triple team Dorsey he will, if he needs to roll coverage to help cover up for losing the starter at corner ?he will. the other guy is the back up, and this is the freaking big ten, we have corners out the ying yang ?;D

PC SOFTBALL said:
Thats a fair question --maybe someone will finalllllllly help us out with the anwser , maybe not MD

I really don't wish to go down this road again MD

Hey OP -- I guess playing Florida St and Miami both in the same year just should'nt count as tough road games for the Gators because they stayed withing the state of Florida ????? ----Gosh what a stupid stat . Who could OSU play in state to match that , no one even comes close .
Also bowl games in sunny ann abor or chicago or wisconsin in january just does'nt sound like a great idea to the rest of the nation .
And further more the SEC does'nt play major non conference road games ? I guess the Buc's playing Washington every year as their only tough non conf game qualifes as a "tough schedule" . I'll let tosu's scores speak for theirself's against the SEC . Merry Christmas If this was after Jan 1st we could nominate it as dumbest thread of the year .

Keep trying MD someday you'll find enough people to agree with you on the SEC ,just not this decade

head to head matchups in the bowl games...............

Tennessee vs Wisconsin
Florida vs Michigan
LSU vs OSU

Tennessee and Florida will win hands down! Best game of the 3 will be the BCS championship game. Dont think OSU will win,but all depends which defense shows up for LSU.
Times LSU looks to be a world beater, then times not to awesome. If the game goes to overtime, (with LSU`s track record) then Id take the Buckeyes.

SEC - 9 teams total
Big 10 - 8 teams total

Not bad for it being a down year for both conferences!

I see the SEC winning the Tenn and Florida games but LSU is so pyscho you never know what you are going to get with them. I think the stars are aligned for OSU to win the game ---no way they can play that bad in back to back years.
Good to see the Buck's are (finally) adding some good out of conference games. and I could care less about people agreeing with me or even changing minds on the topic. But to imply Florida does'nt play a tough out of conference schedule because of miles traveled is ....... stupid , for lack of a nicer word. I'm for leaving this horse dead MD

PC SOFTBALL said:

all you osu fans should know this. don`t you? look it up and please let us all know.

ManitouDan said:
Hey OP -- I guess playing Florida St and Miami both in the same year ?just should'nt count ?as tough road games for the Gators ?because they stayed withing the state of Florida ????? ----Gosh what a stupid stat . ? Who could OSU play in state to match that , ?no one even comes close . ? ?
?Also ?bowl games in sunny ann abor or ?chicago or wisconsin in january ?just does'nt sound like a great idea to the rest of the nation .
And further more the SEC does'nt play major non conference road games ? ?I guess the Buc's playing Washington every year as their only tough non conf game qualifes as a "tough schedule" ?. ? I'll let tosu's scores speak for theirself's against the SEC . ? ?Merry Christmas ?If this was after Jan 1st we ?could nominate it as dumbest thread of the year . ? ?

amen

Keep trying folks , When the SEC teams get to play the caliber of bowl games that The Ohio State Buckeyes are invited to year after year maybe the general public will have a answer ready available.

The facts show they have been invited 8 times to bowl games that did'nt work out so well . "invited to the caliber of Bowl's tosu goes to " thats laughable and shows some of the arrongance that turns alot of folks off . MD Regardless of what happens this year ---another mythical title for someone ---until they play it off it's just that , a myth with alot of press , fancy titles , rings etc . and the buc's will be either 0-9 or 1-8 versus the SEC and a team that does'nt deserve the title either way is going to get it MD

yes that is correct osu is 0-8 versus sec teams in bowl games. the facts do not lie.

If I am not mistaken though, there isnt a player on OSU's roster that has played in all eight of those bowl games lol, each year is different. The SEC is the best conference but only because its the deepest. Believe me, OSU's roster stacks up with anybodies in the SEC.

Won't matter once Coach Rod gets his guys in place, Michigan will be the dominate team in the country, so if OSU beats Michigan you wont be able to say squat about a Big Ten team being in the NC game.

Go Blue and Go Big Ten ;D