see it all the time in baseball .. why not softball?

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see a lot of baseball coaches wear the full uniform that the players wear during games.... why is this?

Why dont softball coaches wear the same uniforms their players wear? (or do you?) weird isn't it?

City Slicker

Reaction score
It's an old school baseball thing when managers also played. Other than tradition, I also don't understand why?

I wear baseball pants to practice and around my house all the time ... for no other reason than they're comfortable as hell.

IRdad09

Reaction score
Why am I not shocked here SoftballBomb. If you knew anything about the history of baseball it is deep rooted in tradition things change very slowly if ever. Mangers in baseball wear uniforms because in the early days they most likely still played. During the 1910's the Manager was kind of like a glorified utility player, thus needing a uniform and it has stuck from there. I get there is no reason for a manger to wear one today, but again tradition.

SoftballBomb

Reaction score
Why am I not shocked here SoftballBomb. If you knew anything about the history of baseball it is deep rooted in tradition things change very slowly if ever. Mangers in baseball wear uniforms because in the early days they most likely still played. During the 1910's the Manager was kind of like a glorified utility player, thus needing a uniform and it has stuck from there. I get there is no reason for a manger to wear one today, but again tradition.

My great great grandfather was a semi professional baseball player and manger so I’m well aware of the tradition. I still think plenty of travel ball coaches look very unprofessional. Just think about it, you want your players to look their best when your running around wearing a tank top and camouflage shorts. But hey at least it’s not quite as embarrassing as watching 36-40 year-old women running around trying to look like teenagers at tournaments. That’s what us players call the Hoochie mama contest. You’re just praying your mothers not in the contest.