Showcases..

OHsoftball

Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts on uncommitted players sitting out while committed players are playing during a showcase? There are times when a committed players school is there to watch them play, that's a different scenario... but I am seeing this a lot on multiple teams where the uncommitted kids aren't playing nearly as much as the committed kids. I'm talking high level teams where all the players are very good.. Isn't the point of going to a showcase is to get the girls on your team recruited?

daboss

Reaction score
In my opinion, coaches get so wrapped up in the win at all costs and become oblivious to the needs of the entire roster. They let their own agenda cloud their decisions. They try to defend their actions with excuses that skirt the real issues. If a player was promised the exposure and in many cases this was the main reason they joined the club, they should get the field time to prove their worth. If they aren't getting it, dump that used car salesman.

To defend those coaches that are reputable, their could be extenuating circumstances we don't know. Injury, sickness, other personal issues they don't want to discuss publicly could be factors. It's best to leave the individual families to handle things even if you are inserting yourself because you believe you should. There's always 2 sides to every story.................

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
I remember back just 5/6 years ago...
There were teams "formed of committed players at 16/18u" These teams really did not play showcase ball but worked for a different goal...A championship, ASA USA, PGF , NSA, USSSA etc.

Parents that put their kids on a team that is running a showcase schedule have NO room to complain if their DD only plays bracket play or a handful of games if they are already committed......
Heck most showcases rules state uncommitted players ONLY...

Last edited:

Long Baller

Reaction score
The purpose of a showcase is to "showcase" your uncommitted players to collegiate coaches. If the coach is batting his commits at the top of the lineup and the uncommitted are at the bottom, then the coach is a tool. If the committed SS or CF never leave the field while middle infielders and outfielders are on the bench, then the coach is a tool. If the committed pitchers are getting all the innings, and/or better starts over the uncommitted pitchers, then the coach is a tool. If the coach is putting any emphasis at all on winning a "showcase tournament", then that coach is a tool. That's a good way to force your uncommitted players to look for new teams the next year.

tjsmize3

Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts on uncommitted players sitting out while committed players are playing during a showcase? There are times when a committed players school is there to watch them play, that's a different scenario... but I am seeing this a lot on multiple teams where the uncommitted kids aren't playing nearly as much as the committed kids. I'm talking high level teams where all the players are very good.. Isn't the point of going to a showcase is to get the girls on your team recruited?

This has always been a very difficult issue to manage and certainly has been a big topic of discussion internally within our own org on how to handle. One of the biggest reasons why you might see this on (as OH said) "high level teams" is that they are generally playing in "high level showcases." Most of the showcases at this level will either not invite consistently under-performing teams back, or they will be sent to the "non-preferred fields" or play in the "non-preferred pools." When you weigh the big picture, you have to decide is it worse this weekend for my 10th best hitter to be batting 8th in our lineup and giving us a BETTER chance to win, or to have the girl hit 4th and be playing in a game no one comes to watch??? We have ALWAYS batted the line up at a showcase so I cannot otherwise understand why a kid would be sitting unless they are a pitcher/catcher with a "non-showcaseable" secondary position, or they have something like a 550 fielding percentage and the coach is literally doing the kid (and the pitcher) a favor by keeping her off the field defensively.