Sitting Out a Year

number5

Reaction score
This subject may have been beat to death, but would like to see if anyone has been in this situation. My DD will be enrolled into a new school next year by means of open enrollment. She is a freshman this year and has made her current HS softball team. If she plays this year will she have to sit out next year or if she sits out this year will she be able to play next year? Or is there any type of exception to the rule to allow her to play this year and next? Any help would be appreciated since time is running out on which way we should go.

GeneralsDad

Reaction score
Could be wrong, but I believe if she open enrolls next year the penalty is sitting half the season.

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Unless it has changed in the past few years, she would have to sit out all next year does not matter if she played this spring or not with current school. Exceptions are as follow............
1. She can show change of residency where she lives in that school district.
2. If new school is in same town as current school (such as many towns/cities have more than one school). Example old school Sandusky High, new school Sandusky Perkins.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
rprice@ohsaa.org Roxanne Price is the contact with OHSAA.

Here is a link to the rule. http://www.ohsaa.org/eligibility/default.asp
http://www.ohsaa.org/eligibility/TransferBylawGuidance.htm

Yes there are certain situations where an exemption "may" take place but from your post it sounds like your DD is just a transfer so she will have to sit unless you establish a residence in the new district.

I would speak/see your AD office first. They will be in contact with the new school anyway for clarification.

Last edited:

Coco Montoya

Reaction score
If she does NOT participate in any scrimmages or games she will not have to sit out any games. The rule is covered in the OHSAA By laws 4-7-2.

If she DOES PLAY in a scrimmage, which many schools will start having this coming week ( SOME schools are scrimmaging at indoor facilities ), she will have to sit for 13 games as the maximum number of games that can be schedule is 27.

Bottom line, if you want her to play at the new school, have her sit out this year.

Some people might say, let her play this year and sit for half next year.

Consider the following: Is she going to be a varsity starter as a freshman? If your daughter is pretty good, does her new school have someone at her position where she may NOT get a chance to start at the new school? If that is the case, does your daughter have a second position that she could play at the new school? You really need some info on the new school to help decide your decision for this year.

Problem is, you don't have a lot of time to make the decision UNLESS your current team has no access to indoor facilities as most teams won't get outside for at least the next two weeks.

Chad Strahler

Reaction score
If she does NOT participate in any scrimmages or games she will not have to sit out any games. The rule is covered in the OHSAA By laws 4-7-2.

If she DOES PLAY in a scrimmage, which many schools will start having this coming week ( SOME schools are scrimmaging at indoor facilities ), she will have to sit for 13 games as the maximum number of games that can be schedule is 27.

Bottom line, if you want her to play at the new school, have her sit out this year.

Some people might say, let her play this year and sit for half next year.

Consider the following: Is she going to be a varsity starter as a freshman? If your daughter is pretty good, does her new school have someone at her position where she may NOT get a chance to start at the new school? If that is the case, does your daughter have a second position that she could play at the new school? You really need some info on the new school to help decide your decision for this year.

Problem is, you don't have a lot of time to make the decision UNLESS your current team has no access to indoor facilities as most teams won't get outside for at least the next two weeks.

This is all true. Rules changed to only sitting half the season now. Good luck with any of the exceptions, they are pretty tight and not guaranteed even if you fit the criteria. It still has to be approved.

number5

Reaction score
Just to add a little history, our current school does not have any type of indoor facilities to scrimmage. The main reason we are transferring to another school is due to academics. Her current school is bad. We have been told by colleges that a 4.0 at her current school is not the same as it would be at other schools. I'm not to worried about her finding a spot on her new schools rooster. She is currently on a few D-1 schools recruiting boards or that is what the schools are telling us. And she plays multiple positions. I think I would rather have her sit her freshman year than sit any time next year.

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
She is currently on a few D-1 schools recruiting boards or that is what the schools are telling us. And she plays multiple positions. I think I would rather have her sit her freshman year than sit any time next year.

A school is telling you that your DD is being looked at by D1 college softball coaches?

number5

Reaction score
A school is telling you that your DD is being looked at by D1 college softball coaches?
Yes, we been to their camps multiply times and them watching her play, we finally asked them if we were on their board and they told us yes. They are working through her TB coach. If that's what your leading too.

Last edited:

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
Yes, we been to their camps multiply times and them watching her play, we finally asked them if we were on their board and they told us yes. They are working through her TB coach. If that's what your leading too.

Ok, it is a college that is telling you. I was thinking a HS was telling you that she was on a college's radar which would, of course, be very strange.

Missing her freshman year is no big deal but, she might want to consider being a team manager or something like that which would keep her in the coach's view. It shows that she is interested in the team and she really wants to be a part of it.

Best wishes for your DD.

number5

Reaction score
Ok, it is a college that is telling you. I was thinking a HS was telling you that she was on a college's radar which would, of course, be very strange.

Missing her freshman year is no big deal but, she might want to consider being a team manager or something like that which would keep her in the coach's view. It shows that she is interested in the team and she really wants to be a part of it.

Best wishes for your DD.
That's a great idea but she will not start the new school till next fall. So she would be on the team already and I don't think her current school would want her around if she is leaving. Thanks for all the inputs.

softballgirl19

Reaction score
We have gone through this, unless you change addresses and move to the new school district and she will be a sophomore in open enrollment she will have to sit half year whether she plays as a freshman in the old school or not. Lucky for us we were told of this rule before her freshman year and we open enrolled at the end of her 8th grade year.

softballdad01

Reaction score
So here is my situation. ....my DD is a freshman this year an if are levy does not pass may 5th they are doin away with all sports for next year. We will be going to open enroll her. Does she have to sit out 50% next year at her new school?

Coco Montoya

Reaction score
We have gone through this, unless you change addresses and move to the new school district and she will be a sophomore in open enrollment she will have to sit half year whether she plays as a freshman in the old school or not. Lucky for us we were told of this rule before her freshman year and we open enrolled at the end of her 8th grade year.

You are incorrect. Read my earlier post. If she does not play in a scrimmage or games, she would not be on the roster. She will be able to play without sitting out. Go read my previous post.

crystlemc

Reaction score
So here is my situation. ....my DD is a freshman this year an if are levy does not pass may 5th they are doin away with all sports for next year. We will be going to open enroll her. Does she have to sit out 50% next year at her new school?

You might want to call OHSAA and ask about this one. I think there is a provision that kids from schools that don't offer sports can play sports for adjoining schools without actually having to change enrollment. I may be way off base on this, but I think that's what I read/heard somewhere.

number5

Reaction score
I finally got my reply back from OHSAA, and if she does not play in a scrimmage and/or game, she is cleared to play next year and not have to sit out any games. A huge relief to hear that. Thanks to all for chiming in.

Coco Montoya

Reaction score
I finally got my reply back from OHSAA, and if she does not play in a scrimmage and/or game, she is cleared to play next year and not have to sit out any games. A huge relief to hear that. Thanks to all for chiming in.

Just like I said! :cool: