Slapper Switching Sides

jt7663

Reaction score
Pretty Sure just had a case of ignorance on an umpire but.... wanted to clarify that it is Legal to Switch from Left Handed Batters Box to the Right Handed Batters Box after the Batter had unsuccessfully tried to slap & got 2 strikes on her.

Stedman00

Reaction score
if it isn't legal, I've seen it umped wrong for a very long time. Believe you had mis-informed blue on this case.

TR_Out

Reaction score
It is against the rules (ASA anyway) for the batter to switch boxes after the pitcher has taken the rubber. Batter would need to be granted time-out from the umpire to switch after the pitcher has taken the rubber. (I think)

jt7663

Reaction score
It is against the rules (ASA anyway) for the batter to switch boxes after the pitcher has taken the rubber. Batter would need to be granted time-out from the umpire to switch after the pitcher has taken the rubber. (I think)

That was my understanding also that Once Pitcher is on rubber then Batter cannot switch But this was prior to Pitcher stepping close to the rubber

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
This is another one of those old baseball/softball rule myths rearing its ugly head again...

There's no limit to how many times a batter can switch from one box to the other during an at-bat, and no special ball/strike count that prevents them from switching.

What you can't do is step directly from one box to the other once the pitcher has the ball and is on the pitcher's plate in position to pitch. You will be called out. So, if you want to switch either ask for time first and wait until it's granted, or do it before the pitcher is ready to pitch.

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
I believe you can switch sides inbetween pitches as long as the pitcher is not on the rubber. One of our girls that slaps starts on the left moves to the right then back to the left. (Dont ask me why she likes doing this) Lol. She has never been called for switching back n forth.