Softball - A beginers Guide

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score

mike_dyer

Reaction score
It's kind of like when you start a new job.

There's always that one guy who tells you what an idiot everyone else is and lets it be known that the placed would shut down if he wasn't there.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
I find myself taking up watching from as far away from everyone else as I can get.

The pisser is that the ones I'm politely ignoring always make their way around to me.

"My kid looks really thirsty, I'm going to get her a water, I'll be right back..." works. I always wonder what they think when I don't take her a water and I don't come back. :cool:

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
I find the right field corner works well - I try to put the lawn chair in that one spot where you can almost see most of the action and the rest is obstructed.

My daughter volunteered last year for the 8U-10U softball clinic.
She had better things to do on a Friday night but thought it would be a good thing for her to do.
She has played softball year round since she was nine, has gone to college clinics and has had lessons with very good college coaches so she figured shes had enough training to be able to teach little kids how to swing a bat or field a ball.

Every dad who was "Helping" Shunned her advice or "Corrected" her when she tried to explain something to their child. These guys who maybe played sandlot baseball 20 years ago acted like this girl who lives and breathes softball was an idiot.
She on several occasions tried nicely and politely to correct their "teaching" They did not take kindly to that at all and she was soon relegated to just demonstrating the improper techniques they were teaching.
Needless to say she has not actively sought out opportunities to volunteer at any more of these clinics.

Last edited:

mike_dyer

Reaction score
I bet a lot of the kids there were "dipping their shoulder."

coachtomv

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I find the right field corner works well - I try to put the lawn chair in that one spot where you can almost see most of the action and the rest is obstructed.

My daughter volunteered last year for the 8U-10U softball clinic.
She had better things to do on a Friday night but thought it would be a good thing for her to do.
She has played softball year round since she was nine, has gone to college clinics and has had lessons with very good college coaches so she figured shes had enough training to be able to teach little kids how to swing a bat or field a ball.

Every dad who was "Helping" Shunned her advice or "Corrected" her when she tried to explain something to their child. These guys who maybe played sandlot baseball 20 years ago acted like this girl who lives and breathes softball was an idiot.
She on several occasions tried nicely and politely to correct their "teaching" They did not take kindly to that at all and she was soon relegated to just demonstrating the improper techniques they were teaching.
Needless to say she has not actively sought out opportunities to volunteer at any more of these clinics.

Yea...this is one of the reasons I no longer head our local youth softball program. Zero buy in from "coaches" and parents for the most part. Too many egos. Wanted to head up clinics, bring in instructors like Bob Hoiles, Micaela Minner, Allana Barker(which we did once with great responses), and got polite head nods but no commitment. Everything I tried to do to bring the program up, coaches clinics, instructional videos like Kobata, whatever, was ignored. Everyone was too busy teaching baseball and hording the next great rec player, lol.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
It's amazing sometimes the level of ineptatude and it hurts the program - If these guys could just come in and admit they don't know skat - they could bring in some one like Hoiles, Minner or Kobata for a couple sessions to work with the kids and coaches and they would be 100 miles ahead, But NO these guys think they were a heartbeat away from the pro's if only they had stayed with baseball through Pony... It drives away the volunteers who know they don't know nothing and the ones who do.

larrybowman

Reaction score
I think every post on here is absolutely correct! I've seen the youth program in our area diminishing quickly due to "poor support" I guess u could call it. There is a certain gentleman who has been coaching the youth in the area for yrs now. He does a great job with these girls, teaching the basics to the youngsters and higher level stuff to the older girls. Just like yall said though he wanted to bring in certain pitching coaches, hitting instructors, and the like but was told "No, we dont need them to help out the program, we have enough Dads who will do it for free".... needless to say the Dads who "do it for free" aren't paid for a reason! The guy is still coaching and still doing his damn best to make these girls better though. Kudos to him, some of the varsity girls who he coached eons ago go to help him when they can, so thats a big plus. Yet there are still those parents who tell there kids " dont worry about what those girls tell you, just swing the way I showed you, or that catcher isnt dropping and blocking correctly do it this way" BTW the Dad that told his DD that couldnt even get into a catchers stance to show her anything except how to pull his back out in a feeble attempt. It's funny but at the same time its BULLSH** as well..... what do u do?????