Softball hitting lineup

SoftballBomb

Reaction score
Could some of you share how you setup your batting order and what information your using to come up with your best lineup?

Last edited:

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
best hitter, next best hitter, next best hitter, next best hitter..... and so on, and so on.....

lol joking!!! there is really more to it than that but its pretty close. i will let some other coaches take off with this one and i will comment later.

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
I believe we had this discussion in another thread.

OBP.

I don’t care how you get on base just get on base.

I generally set my lineup based on OBP. I also look at OBPS and throw them in the 3/4 hole and down in the 6/7 holes.

OBP and speedy base runners at the start of the line up.

you have to get on and then good things happen from there.

I also look at softball IQ and base running.

there’s multiple things that go into making a lineup.

those are just a few key ingredients IMO.

Long Baller

Reaction score
I actually take on base percentage a step further and look at OBP+ROE. Not all errors are created equal, especially when you have speed in your lineup. Slappers + uneducated scorekeepers = Way to many ROE's.

My oldest DD was a slapper, so I can write a 10 page rant thread on this topic alone :rolleyes:

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually take on base percentage a step further and look at OBP+ROE. Not all errors are created equal, especially when you have speed in your lineup. Slappers + uneducated scorekeepers = Way to many ROE's.

My oldest DD was a slapper, so I can write a 10 page rant thread on this topic alone :rolleyes:
Amen to that Longballer ! --- in the same boat. I know your pain. %#$$#? lol

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net

Very good point. Yea I have always wondered why is it so hard for a score keeper to actually do the right thing and count the true errors? I have a few slappers on our team and most the time they reach on error.
Regardless they get on base. That’s their #1 job. Create chaos and get on base. From there good things happen.

Xrayaries

Reaction score
My DD is not fast but ROE 17 times in just shy of 100ab she still hit .380 but it should have been well over .400.

Do not volunteer to keep score if you don't even understand ball hit hard, fielder dives stops the ball gets up throws to first, runner is already safe, ball in the dirt, first baseman does not pick it and if trickles a few feet from first. No runners advance. This is not an error.

coachjwb

Reaction score
I always included ROE in my OBP stats, and in considering what the lineup should be as well. Partially due to scorekeeping inaccuracies and partially because I figured that over the course of a season that someone who got more ROE's was probably hitting the ball harder and "forcing" some of those errors. And I think in youth softball or baseball, you can make a very good case of arranging your lineup totally based on that, assuming you have enough stats to do that ... and also assuming you consider improvement over the course of a season. If someone started out hot/lucky, I'm not necessarily going to keep them at the top of the lineup when they've fallen off considerably vs. other players who are hitting it well.

But if I had to pick my #1 criteria for an order, it would be who would I want up next if its 2 outs and bases loaded in the last inning and I'm down by a run? And that holds true even more so in time limit games, where some players will get up 3 times, and others will only get up twice. I want my players who have the history and/or potential to reach base the most getting up 50% more than those who don't.

Stedman00

Reaction score
My DD is not fast but ROE 17 times in just shy of 100ab she still hit .380 but it should have been well over .400.

Do not volunteer to keep score if you don't even understand ball hit hard, fielder dives stops the ball gets up throws to first, runner is already safe, ball in the dirt, first baseman does not pick it and if trickles a few feet from first. No runners advance. This is not an error.

Seen it for years on scoring, esp high school. The ones that really get me are the easy fielding play, throw is in the dirt and it is scored an error on 1B.