Softball player position-to-position qualities

SoftballBomb

Reaction score
What do Coaches looks for/likes in each position is it speed, leadership, arm strength, fielding, game awareness or any other category I may of left off. In my example I only listed one qualities of a player position. Go ahead and list all the positions and use whatever combination of skill sets you would like from that position.

skill set to choose from: speed, leadership, arm strength, fielding, game awareness or add your own category.

an example:

1st base: fielding
2nd base: game awareness
Shortstop: speed
3rd bass: arm strength
catcher: game awareness
Left Field: arm strength
Center field: speed
Right field: fielding
Pitcher: game awareness

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i can sum it up for all positions.... HITTERS PLAY -- i also suggest knowing and playing more than 1 position on defense just in case a better defensive player is playing your "normal" def. position. (especially if you plan to play in college) The more positions you know, the more you increase your softball IQ and if you HIT the ball...... you will play somewhere.

Last edited:

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
DanMaz, I agree 100% it's unbelievable how many times I've watch a Team lose game because they couldn't score a run but left there hitter on the beach because they're not the best defense package for the team.

Last edited:

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Amen to that brother! these phrases has always been stuck in my head since my kids were in T-ball... "hit the ball.... they will find a position for you to play" "dont hit the ball.. they will find you a seat on the bench next to the coach"

Long Baller

Reaction score
i can sum it up for all positions.... HITTERS PLAY -- i also suggest knowing and playing more than 1 position on defense just in case a better defensive player is playing your "normal" def. position. (especially if you plan to play in college) The more positions you know, the more you increase your softball IQ and if you HIT the ball...... you will play somewhere.
Exactly this. I remember sitting in the "Q&A" session at a college camp (a top ranked, power 5 program) years ago, and a parent asked "You obviously recruit pitchers and catchers, What do you recruit next? Short stop/middle infielders?" The coach replied "I recruit pitchers and offensive threats, period. If you can hit, I will find a place for you on the field, somewhere."

When someone asks my DD what position she plays, she responds: "Hitter" :) That usually gets a blank stare though o_O

daboss

Reaction score
DanMaz is right. Hit the ball, put it in play. It's the only sure fire way to control your destiny. You can't expect others to do for you meaning hit by pitch, walks, intentional walks, bla bla bla. Those are things out of your control. That bat in your hand is something you control.

A secondary factor is speed. Speed kills in fastpitch. It's suggested in the name. lol. Speed/quickness in the field to cover defensively and speed running bases can greatly increase your worth.

I once had a D1 coach tell me if I could find him a girl that could run from home to first in 2.3 seconds he'd give her a full ride scholarship and she didn't need to know how to play the game. He'd teach her how to play.......... I'm still looking................