Softball Super Regional Format Change

InSider

Reaction score
The Division I Competition Oversight Committee has decided to change the softball Super Regional format from a 2 day competition to a 3 day format, beginning in 2017. In the 2 day format, the 3rd "if necessary" game was played as a double header on the 2nd day.

This change was made in the interest of the well being of the student athletes. It gives the teams a little bit more time to rest between games. Now, the Super Regionals will be played Thursday-Sunday, the week before the Women's College World Series.

Are there any other changes you feel would be beneficial for the WCWS tournament system?

coachjwb

Reaction score
This will benefit the trams who ride one ace in the circle

Which is a reason I don't like it much ... I'd rather see the deeper programs have an advantage. Besides, I am sure all of these players played travel ball over the years and are used to playing 4 or 6 or 8 games in a day, with pitchers pitching in 3-4 games ... why can't they play 2?

Not a big deal to me one way or the other but I don't care for the change at first glance ... someone might be able to convince me differently ...