Something to teach our kids in the off-season.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
So my daughter, a senior in college, gets a text message from her boyfriend at 6:00 AM this morning that he's breaking up with her.

Really ?!? A TEXT? And he couldn't have waited until this evening?

Can I make this a non-softball rant: When did we stop teaching our kids how to do the decent thing?

Younger people break up all the time. That's not the point. At least have the decency to do it in a phone conversation, or, better yet, in person. One side of the break up will be hurt, and probably then mad, maybe even curse you profusely and throw a few things. But that's the way it's supposed to happen. There is no easy way to do this.

You'll be respected more, eventually, by having enough courage to say goodbye in some way other than a text message.

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I knew a department at a place i used to work layed off people with a mass email, (week before xmas at that) so its just a now kinda thing.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
another reason I hate the crazy amount of time we all especially kids use phones and social media! go to any HS team game and look in the stands at the kids.... 99% will have the face in their phone. one of my favorite motivational speeches / vids. quote from Nick Saban: Invest your time! Don't spend it!

check it out here! http://youtu.be/6LMdu7r9NQw

The3dm

Reaction score
Somewhere between reality and winning the lottery.
IMHO...A majority of today's young folks have no respect for other's feelings, no courage to face their fears and no concept of personal/family responsibility. They are always looking for the easy way out, to avoid things that make them uncomfortable. It is this type of thinking that has caused the proliferation of the LGBT lifestyle, the constant turmoil in our media as related to our government, Police, etc...

Unfortunately, it is most likely going to get worse before it gets better. :(

Irish196

Reaction score
That stinks! I'm sorry for your daughter but if he broke up that way she is probably too good for him anyways. Are you close enough to her college to go take her out for a special dinner or ice cream or something?

Louuuuu

Reaction score
Thanks.

When I talked to her last night, she was already over the initial shock and had moved on to the "He's a piece of s**t" stage. She's coming home for her mother's birthday next weekend. A trip to the Cheesecake Factory and everything will be back to normal.

The Dude

Reaction score
Cell Phones, The Internet, and Social Media have turned this into a country into a bunch of 'cowardly social dumbshits'. The quote above about it only getting worse is just the tip of the iceberg. Brave New World, we are here, and we ain't goin' nowhere!

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, does this bring memories…

I woke up to shrill banshee shrieking in the dead of the night, got up and went to see what it was to find my at the time, senior year daughter just got “the news” from her b.f. at 3 in the morning on the phone. Moms comforting her and in my sleep delirium , I tell her shes better off. This of course isn’t what she wanted to hear and i was then a shit like the b.f.

Ahh, the memories.

FPN

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. One of the top pitchers in the country last season literally had almost the exact same things happen to her right before her start in a super regional. I mean who does that via a text prior to one of the biggest moments of your career?

Scooter7

Reaction score
Wow, does this bring memories…

I woke up to shrill banshee shrieking in the dead of the night, got up and went to see what it was to find my at the time, senior year daughter just got “the news” from her b.f. at 3 in the morning on the phone. Moms comforting her and in my sleep delirium , I tell her shes better off. This of course isn’t what she wanted to hear and i was then a shit like the b.f.

Ahh, the memories.

Ummm.....NEVER throw the deep pass into zone coverage. :p

( I know better myself, but still would end up doing the same....just because.)