Sportsmanship

My daughter played In the Willoughby Starzz tournament this weekend, and we all had a great time.
We met some really nice players, some great parents, and some classy coaches.
Her team made It to the semi-final game, and lost. This was the only time I didn't see good sportsmanship from a few, my daughter Is a pitcher who grunts when she pitches.
She's not trying to intimidate, she's not trying to psyche anyone out, she's just trying to put her heart and soul Into every pitch.
The opposing team started to mock her, and grunt after she would pitch, even laughing. I don't mind when any team Is loud and positive rooting on there teammates, but taunting or mocking someone shouldn't be taught or be acceptable gamesmanship and there coach didn't seem to mind.
That wasn't the thing that really got under my skin, after winning the game 5-0 the teams In a show of good sportsmanship high five/ low five Congrad's to each other.
One of the girls would not shake my daughters hand, she was one of the few I mentioned, I knew she was pretty mad after my daughter struck her out, but being a poor winner. That's disappointing to see.
My daughter loves this game, and always wants to win and yet she'll always tip her glove to a team who wins over hers.

If your daughter is the same kid I know.. I bet the team that won would love to have her! Shes a beast and a great kid! Shame on them.. I would even say your daughter would be their #1 pitcher!

We saw poor sportsmanship as well this weekend. I had a girl hit her first homerun ever and to top it off it was a grand slam in what was a 3-2 game. The centerfielder ran into the fence going for the ball. Got hurt pretty bad, broken nose, torn muscle in her thigh and some other injuries. After the game only two girls highfive the girl that hit the homerun. I don't understand how they blamed her. She was very upset that it happen and she did not get the celebration at homeplate because everyone was tending to the hurt girl. Was also told that while she was playing 3rd base the other team was calling her names from the dugout.

Great teaching moment, don't let other people's actions or verbiage to bother your game. Congrats on shutting them out.

If your daughter is the same kid I know.. I bet the team that won would love to have her! Shes a beast and a great kid! Shame on them.. I would even say your daughter would be their #1 pitcher!

So are you saying your team won the tourney, Billy????
Looks like your girls are improving with all the dance & other activites.....lol

No.. We didnt play this weekend.. Im saying to the parent that we know a pitcher in this area that grunts when she lets go of her pitch and shes awesome! Im saying that the team that was making fun of her would prolly love to have this kid! I would be willing the bet that she would even be their #1 pitcher.

Smoosh, ran into the same thing this weekend with my daughter except it was the coach that made a comment. I was sitting down by third base watching the game and my daughter was in the circle. The opposing coach new it was my daughter pitching and in about the third inning he looks at me and says it sounds like your daughter is having a baby. I thought what a classless comment.

Had an issue with one of "Ohio's premier organizations" where we had dropped our gear in an area to warm up after taking a break between games and they came out and started getting loose right in the middle of all of our equipment (literally playing catch overtop of our girls bags). Our girls naturally went down and started getting loose in the area as well and one of their players threatend to "punch one of our players in the mouth" if she didn't go find somewhere else to warm up. Needless to say that set the tone for the game and it was a chippy one to say the least.

If you advertise yourself as a champion; ACT LIKE IT!

No problems with girls this weekend, just a whiny coach; he waited until we started putting pressure on his team before whining about our pitcher's presentation of the ball or lack of.
Wish ALL coaches would remember that they are responsible for modeling the type of sportsmanship that the girls are expected to show.
Much thanks to the coaches who do reprimand their girls for throwing equipment, using bad language, or doing any of the other things that shouldn't be done. Your efforts are appreciated!

I'd like to think the behavior we saw from a few individuals Isn't something taught, but If a coach or a parent allows or encourages unsportsman like conduct they're just as guilty. It Is a great disservice to the girls they are intrusted with.

I will not say it is right but in many instances being shared it would pay in spades to simply grow some thicker skin. Pitchers are the most susceptible because they are the center of attention. They have to be strong of mind and body. Shut down the others by staying focused and show no emotion. You'll never fully quiet the masses but they'll be less apt to continue if they see it has no effect. Consider the rudeness as a badge of honor because that pitcher at the moment is giving them fits. For them to lower themselves to such tactics should be fuel that her play is at a level they cannot conquer. As for the girl that hit the homerun, was the celebration at home plate so important that you feel others should have relaxed their reaction to an injured human being to honor your moment rather than attend to a player down? How selfish are you? Perhaps a little effort to have some compassion for an injured person rather than feel cheated because they didn't give you time to get hit on the head by your teammates. You'll have another opportunity to hit a homerun. What about that outfielder that may be injured to a point she never gets to play the game again? Personally, even if I were the coach of the girl with the HR, I would have joined the other team's staff in the field to help with the injured player before ever taking time to give anyone a five high. We could celebrate later if the situation allows for it. It's just a game no matter at what level.