Hitting and Hitters Discussion Success hitting fast pitching

FastBat

Reaction score
In a game situation, hitting against faster pitching, I have noticed coaches making adjustments with hitting. I am starting to think the best way to have players hit faster pitching is simply use their normal everyday swing and load sooner. Maybe by the second time around the order some success will happen with just using full swings, especially if they had a few quicker swings the first time up? In my experience, I have seen coaches tell players try to chock up and use a shorter swing. To me this doesn't make sense, because the players practice their regular swing at practice and they are more comfortable with it. I have also seen coaches bunt the entire line-up, which tends to be unsuccessful, especially at the younger ages and they haven't been able to get a few swings in.

Have you found success with hitting fast pitching and any suggestions or no-no's? Any pre-game drills, if you know the opponent does have a fast pitcher? Obviously, practicing good mechanics in the off season is ideal, but other than that.

Last edited:

WalkOffHR

Reaction score
I agree, never change your swing (assuming it is mechanically sound). It's hard enough to perfect one swing. Changing it based on one game or one pitcher doesn't make sense. It takes thousands of swings a year to develop a specific swing and to work on flaws. Why in the heck would you have any other type of swing for special circumstances that a player never practices?

FastBat

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I have always be taught and have done the opposite, but in season I may just have my DD try to swing away as normal. I worked with my son on hitting fast pitching over the weekend, he's only 9. After a few unsuccessful swings it was encouraging to see how fast he started making contact with his "normal" full swing.