Hitting and Hitters Discussion Swing faults and some methods to correcting them "Dipping the Bat"

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
HITTING: * * Swing faults and some methods to correcting them * *

The Batting Dip

Over the years, like many coaches, I have taught players to keep their back elbow up, thinking that it would help the to move the bat faster through the swing.

Well, what I found was that at the start of the swing, the bat dips and stays down. The first, and most obvious cause, is that the bat is too heavy.

Another, less obvious, cause is that the player is pushing with his back arm. What I have found is that the batter often needs to pull the bat more with his front arm.

To work on this I have the player stand as though he is holding an imaginary bat. Then I have him grasp the thumb of the front hand with is back hand (as though his thumb was the bat).

Then I have him to through a batting motion, pulling with is front arm while resisting back arm.

This is actually a great isometric exercise. The results are surprising. Not only does the bat stay level, a side result is that the batter utilizes both arms (not just the back) to hit the ball.