The in between

maciec

Reaction score
What do you do with a girl that isn't quite a travel ball player, but seems bored with rec ball? My dd is a good solid player, but doesn't have the drive for travel ball. She excels at rec ball and plays up but still doesn't seem challenged. I am torn what to do with her. She will play rec this year but thinking fall ball and next year. Any advice would be appreciated.

maciec

Reaction score
She is 11 but has a terrible softball birthday of December. She played travel last year and started on a team this year. She doesn't want to put forth the effort for travel. That aggressive, dominant attitude just isn't there when she plays with girls that she sees as "better than her." She gets frustrated and doesn't give it her all. She is a better player in rec ball and that fuels her. I think an in between would be good but I don't know what that looks like.

lewam3

Reaction score
I see softball as
A. Rec Ball: 6 teams in one municipality playing each other, with maybe a championship at the end
B. Travel Ball: one team per community, playing the other one team from neighborhood communities
C. Tourney Ball: Team in an organization that travels and plays only tournaments, 5 plus games per weekend, etc.

So, which type of ball did she play? B or C?

maciec

Reaction score
Last year she played tourney ball....I thought that was "travel ball." She is now playing on a local team, that plays other local teams in our county. Parents coach, kids typically haven't played long if at all. She isn't ready for tourney ball I don't think but what you have described as travel ball is what she is playing and it isn't enough.

lewam3

Reaction score
DD was that way at soccer when she was younger. Never aggressive, never into scoring or making plays. Really into the ice cream after games though. Then she played softball--Totally different kid-- aggressive, enthusiastic, practiced on off days. She is a December Bday too. So, maybe its not the birthday, maybe its the sport?

maciec

Reaction score
She loves softball.....she wants to play but has told me that she wants to play with better players but she thinks tournament ball is too much. I was just hoping there was an in between that I wasn't aware of.

Bat Dad

Reaction score
Maciec,
That's exactly where my DD was. She dominated Rec ball in the community league and was bored to death. She also played on a Travel team comprised of All Stars from the various Rec teams in her league; mostly we played other Rec all star teams and played no more than 45 mins away. I still considered that "travel" ball per se because we had to leave the community to go play. She also played in 2 tournaments that comprised mainly of what some people do mean when they speak of Travel teams - teams that aren't easy to get on the roster, that practice essentially year round etc.
There are travel teams out there of varying ability levels. I think the official classification - please somebody correct me if I'm mistaken - is A, B and C (http://neusssafastpitch.com/teams/team-classification)
Perhaps you could call around to some teams in your area? When I was calling organizations for my daughter, coaches were generally upfront about where they felt their team should be "classified." That honesty helped a great deal. And hopefully if you communicate where you feel your daughter is "at" you will find an environment where she will be challenged and grow without being frustrated because hopefully she will find plenty of kindred sprits around her. :)
Good Luck!

Bat Dad

Dawgsdad

Reaction score
There are less committal teams out there that also play a limited tourney schedule and a league. Where are you located?