The Longest Drive

I bet you thought this was a football post.

I just took my longest drive as a softball parent and coach this past weekend. You see I delivered my youngest to college. She has decided to become a nurse and continue to play softball.

We had "Bawl Fest" at my house last Thursday night as all my daughters closest friends stopped in to say one last goodbye before they all departed to different schools. She was the first of the four to leave. The good part for DD is that her closest softball friend decided to attend the same school but not play.

On Friday the wife, Son and I along with the parents of DD's best friend packed them up and delivered them to the university.

It was a busy weekend moving them into an apartment and making sure they had what they needed to hit the ground running. All of that and having to attend orientation classes for both students and parents.

By last night we were all pretty much mentally and physically exhausted by the experience. Then came the big goodbye. Dad and Mom out the door. Of course the DD didnt want us to leave and mom was in tears and I think you understand the scene.

As we made the 2 1/2 hour drive back home I had some time to reflect on the journey that brought us to this point. It is hard to explain the emotion tied to this from a fathers perspective when you have sat on a bucket with your daughter throwing balls at you for hour after hour. Then coaching her and watching her grow as a person.

It is hard to let go but let go you must.

At the end of the drive both the wife and I felt pretty good about the journey and the destination. With the realization that the longest drive really wasnt the one we took this past weekend.........................

Elliott

[move]GOOD LUCK SAM AND BEST WISHES FROM YOUR LADY KNIGHT FRIENDS!!![/move]

I am really not looking forward to that drive. My DD is beginning her 4th year of ball - we've been in it since she was 10. We've traveled all over for the sport and love it. HOWEVER, your "final" drive is one that I am dreading. My DD will be the first one to leave. I can only imagine your memories - from the first pitch ever thrown, to the WOW pitches, to the wins and almosts, and finally putting that ball bag in the car for the last time. I know she'll be great in college and we've never met, but softball players just seem to be able to adjust to life better than most. ;D

Good luck to you and your wife. Just think it won't be long before you are driving that 2 1/2 hour drive to watch her play COLLEGE Ball.

Elliot,

GREAT post---best of luck to you and your daughter and entire family!! ?

I remember when I first left for college and Mom was in tears for the weekend and Dad just went along with everything not showing much emotion because that's just how Dad's are --LOL. ?:) ?The biggest adjustment I had was not having my Dad at every game--there was no looking over anymore to see what the heck I was doing wrong or just to smile when I got a girl on a change up. ?Instead, it was calling him to give him a play by play, pitch by pitch analysis. ?I learned quickly how much it meant to have him (and my mom) at my games; I actually think I was even nervous the first time they came to one of my collegiate games!! ?:)

You're moving on the next level of your relationship with your DD. ?I have no doubt that you both will have a fantastic year!! ?

Marie Shaver

WOW...here I am..a grown man with my eye's all watered-up. ?I couldn't even get through this whole thread with out stopping and wiping my eye's. ?I started sitting on the bucket 3 1/2 yrs ago and knowing someday that long drive will be coming......I don't want that day to ever come, as selfish as that may sound. ?I do know that I will stay on that bucket for her until the day comes when she tells me to get off. ?I just hope it is not before the long drive. ?I don't think there is a stronger feeling out their than the father daughter relationship. ?Especially the one on the bucket. ?I know all the dad's with dd can really relate to this. ?

Thanks Elliot..I feel for ya and good luck, hang in there.

Thanks for sharing- many of us are making that "drive" within the next week- hearing your experience helps us know that even though difficult we'll all get through it - we're making sure we have an extra box of Kleenex!!

Yep, it's that time of year again. We only have a short drive, but the house will be empty of both kids when we return, so emotionally it will feel like quite a long distance traveled. Parents on this board can take heart from the fact that the amounts of time that families devote together to an endeavor like travel softball almost always leaves the young lady in a better position to spread her wings in all walks of life.

I think alot of us went thru that journey. I miss the coaching aspect of being with my daughter. I still see all her games and she stiil wants to play catch when she comes and she's a sophmore. But that was a nice story and sounds like our first year

:'( remember that drive with my son..... its just about the hardest thing to do. its a whole new phase of life. Don't look forward to that with the girls. Thanks for sharing..

Wow...I guess I know that day is coming, but I never really thought about it. :'(

Great description of the events, Elliott.

Thank you all for your kind comments. Now the other side of the story. She calls momma tonight and she is at a tatoo parlor getting her ear peirced for more hardware.

At least it wasnt a tatoo. YET.

I guess it didnt take long for HER to adjust. ::)

And life goes on........

Elliott. ;D

Elliot,
I hope she is not breaking you in to the tattoo scene like I did my mom. It too starting off as a little peircing! LOL ;D