The Softball Coach's Culture Bootcamp

RobR

Reaction score
All (especially High School and Travel Coaches),

I am not being paid to endorse, nor will I receive any kind of discount for this post... god is my witness.

I have listened to "The Mental Sweetspot" Podcast for a couple years now (it's free on all of the audio streaming apps/sites). I kept listening because as a travel coach, a male travel coach, I am always looking for ways to get through to the players. This has become more and more important as I have learned more about the sport, as I have attended more clinics, and become more open minded to styles of coaching that I was not familiar with; I needed to get better for our team!

Then, I heard Mel Rushing talking about the "mini Culture Bootcamp" that she advertised on her podcast. I signed up, not expecting anything at all really; I would watch videos, listen to speakers, take some notes and maybe get one or two things out of it that I could build on. It was inexpensive, and she was hosting the Florida State University softball coaching staff on the first night; totally worth it!

I learned in about 30 minutes of the first session that I was woefully behind the curve as a coach of young people in regards to team culture! In this week long boot camp I was challenged, I questioned some of the things that I thought were so important to our team, and most of all I saw our team RESPOND to the positive team culture that all coaches can learn, train, and ingrain in their players! The player with the WORST attitude on our team became a voice of positivity in the dugout; I was floored! Our team began to communicate more on the field, began to all use the same vocabulary within this communication (I'm not talking X's and O's, I'm talking in the way they would encourage and challenge each other during games) and the parents even began to notice.

I took the week long boot camp, that merely scratches the surface of learning about the team culture that I wanted, based on the specific team needs (this team, based on these players, this isn't a "one size fits all" for every team I'll ever coach that's the best part!). Yes, this is an introduction into a larger program that does have a larger price tag. However, there were NO additional costs for the rest of my week, there were several bonuses in that week long bootcamp that I DARE you to try and find anywhere else (Like in the next bootcamp, the University of Michigan coaching staff will be on the first night Zoom call that you can be a part of!) as well as interactive sessions with other coaches and workbooks that will helped me create my team culture without paying for the full version of the course.

I can not recommend this Culture Bootcamp enough!

Go to; CultureBootcamp.com

Check it out; it doesn't hurt at all to take a look. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to reach out to me directly!

RobR

Reaction score
Oh, and I am DEFINITELY taking the full course (on my own dime) as soon as this season is over. Based on what I learned in the week-long bootcamp, I know that I not only have a ways to go, but Mel and her group will have much more to share! As a coach, I expect my players to train in some capacity all year long; I need to do the same for them.