Thoughts on the Haley Fagan Tim Walton Altercation?

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/si/more-sports/2017/03/27/auburn-florida-softball-haley-fagan-tim-walton-altercation%3Fsource%3Ddam

Is it just my dislike for Tim Walton or did he unnecessarily start this by pushing Fagan for not high-five'ing him - I realize she should have just high fived Walton and walked away and the hand shake line isn't the right place to make a stand but there is true disdain on her part for his dismissal of her sisters.

Did anyone notice if she had shoock hands the last two games?

Last edited:

Stedman00

Reaction score
grown man and a coach, not the right time or place to confront her. No hand up, walk on by. Then maybe mention to Auburn head coach at the end of the line. Or possibly phone call later. OR maybe realize why she might have did it, and let it drop entirely.

Never should he have touched her shoulder.

just my $.02

Reaction score
From a post on another site, it was said that she in fact did not shake hands those other two games either. I am sure it is because of the situation with her sisters. I lay all the blame on him. He was the aggressor.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Can't absolutely say 100% he pushed her ... almost appears he was looking ahead in the line and reached out and when didn't make contact, he moved his hand over ... not trying to defend him ... I like Auburn more than Florida anyhow ... just can't tell for sure. Certainly if he was intending to do that, he was way over the line. I don't know the history with the 2 sisters, but would guess there's 2 sides to every story there too. It's just never a good idea to refuse or force a hand shake/high five. I did it once in my coaching career and had another coach do it to me once as well ... and felt terrible about it both times. Of course, I would have never done it to a player.

Last edited:

kelbot

Reaction score
Way too many coincidences for me to think this wasn't done purposefully. Shameful act by the coach, IMO.

manitoudan

Reaction score
Walton screwed up -- Badly . Regardless of the lack of sportsmanship from Fagan , you just walk on by and do nothing during the line .. reaching out and tapping her shoulder was childish from a coach who has been around forever . A little " we just beat your __ " so you are going to take your medicine stuff . Uncalled for , and I hope the SEC suspends him for an entire series against an SEC foe . And Auburn's coach needs to tell all players -- " we shake EVERYONE's hand" It wasnt like he isnt aware of the whole fagan drama , just do NOTHING to stir it up .

init4all

Reaction score
He knew what he was doing and he wanted that reaction.. I cant believe someone hasn't issued a statement yet.

Long Baller

Reaction score
Is Fagan that full of herself? Is it that hard to just go through the motions? I know there is history between Walton and her sisters, but does she think that "He kicked my sisters off his team 5 years ago, so he's going to try and diss' me here?" Or that he is thinking " I kicked her sisters off my team, watch me show her up right here?" Judging by her team mates reactions, they must've thought she was in the wrong.

Btw, I am not sticking up for Walton as I hate all of the Florida teams, but there was a whole lot of Nothing going on right there.:rolleyes:

manitoudan

Reaction score
That apology is a bold faced lie . He didnt realize her hand wasnt up and he " touched her shoulder " Totally unbelievable . He was wanting to rub it in . Poor sportsmanship by her doesnt excuse his action and the apology is ridiculous .

Long Baller

Reaction score
Thumbs down? Did I type something inappropriate, or you just don't like differing opinions?

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He was in the wrong for actually sitting there arguing with a player and continuing it, but miss Fagan isnt blameless showing her ass either, she was looking to start some crap and Walton didnt disappoint by stepping right into it.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
He was in the wrong for actually sitting there arguing with a player and continuing it, but miss Fagan isnt blameless showing her ass either, she was looking to start some crap and Walton didnt disappoint by stepping right into it.
Have a feeling you would have handled it the same.Where's the respect for the coach, dispite the past issues.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
There is no way to ever know who was thinking what and why, but I feel there is blame to be had by both of them.
I think it was pretty classless and petty on both parts. Respect the game, it's bigger than any one coach or player,
Sportsmanship isn't that hard of a concept to grasp, win or lose respect the other team.
Goes both ways.

Last edited:

robinohio

Reaction score
I replayed this tons of times.i think Walton is in the wrong clearly done it on purpose big time very poor sportsmanship.But Sammy I feel should of not pushed back on coach she should of went to myers and let her coaches deal with Walton.

brownsfan

Reaction score
I replayed this tons of times.i think Walton is in the wrong clearly done it on purpose big time very poor sportsmanship.But Sammy I feel should of not pushed back on coach she should of went to myers and let her coaches deal with Walton.

Completely agree. This is the form of complete disrespect by both parties. Maybe I'm old school, but whether or not the adult disrespects you, you as a younger adult-kid (whatever) you never disrespect them back and you never lay your hands on them.

kelbot

Reaction score
Completely agree. This is the form of complete disrespect by both parties. Maybe I'm old school, but whether or not the adult disrespects you, you as a younger adult-kid (whatever) you never disrespect them back and you never lay your hands on them.

I've never really understood the whole "respect your elders no matter what" line of thinking. Respect is earned regardless of age. Based on their history, she probably feels strongly about her lack of respect for him. I'm not defending her, she surely could've handled it better. But he appeared to initiate the contact portion of the exchange and her reaction seemed instinctual, not premeditated.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
I've never really understood the whole "respect your elders no matter what" line of thinking. Respect is earned regardless of age. Based on their history, she probably feels strongly about her lack of respect for him. I'm not defending her, she surely could've handled it better. But he appeared to initiate the contact portion of the exchange and her reaction seemed instinctual, not premeditated.

There are many bad adults out there...and you can be as big of an ass at 40 as 22. Respect is earned period... Now in this case, it may fall under sportsmanship on both where you go through the motions so everyone feels happy...

Looks like the coach took the high road in the end...

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/softball/florida-softball-coach-tim-walton-issues-apology-for-incident-with/article_981d7a72-13ca-11e7-b989-bf5d7df6bfc9.html

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college...cle_981d7a72-13ca-11e7-b989-bf5d7df6bfc9.html

Last edited:

Long Baller

Reaction score
Everyone deserves to be treated with a certain level of respect, earned or not. It goes along with the whole idea of raising your children to be upstanding citizens You know, the whole thank a veteran, help an old lady across the street, shovel the snow out of your neighbors driveway (without expecting something in return), smile and saying "hello" to strangers, types of things. Today's generation doesn't behave this way. They are all about disrespecting people today. I don't mean that in particular to Haley Fagan's incident, but the total lack of respect that people display towards others is a big part of what is wrong in todays society. I can assure you that my DD, no matter how much distain she had for that coach, would still have "gone through the motions" with her hand raised and taken the high road. Why? Because that is the way I raised her.

Back to the Fagan/Walton incident....Was she trying to instigate something? Who knows? Was he trying to prove something? Who knows? She's lucky that one of the Florida players didn't come up and cold cock her for pushing her coach. Or, it will be interesting to see if she gets a fast ball in the ear hole later in the season. How is that for "earning" respect?

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
Looks like the coach took the high road in the end...

I'm not sure basically saying, - "I'm sorry your were mad I pushed you" counts as taking the high road -

"My intent was to give a high-five to each opposing player as we do after every game, Apparently, her hand wasn't up as I said 'good game' and I touched her shoulder. I should have paid close attention and did not intend to upset her. I regret that this has taken attention away from the effort and sportsmanship both teams displayed all weekend."

- Tim Walton

Lets play spot the weasel words -
Apparently - "how am I supposed to know if her hand is up or not?"
Touched - "I didn't push her in the shoulder for smugly walking past me with her hand down"
I like the next two best
Did not intend to upset her - "It ain't my fault my pushing her made her mad"
And Finally the weaselyist of all
I regret that this has taken attention away...yada yada yada - "Hey it ain't my fault but ill say words that sound like I feel bad"

Not sure these are the words of a person taking responsibility - though it gives a good indication Walton could run for public office if he decides to.

Last edited: