Catching and Catchers discussion Throwing Hand Position?

Shane

Reaction score
Hey folks, father of a 9 year old catcher. Give me your thoughts in reference to the position of the throwing hand when runners are on. She likes to dangle her throwing hand on her side. Last night I introduced positioning the throwing hand in the form of a fist behind the glove when runners are on, thinking it would provide for a quicker exchange. Actually picked up the idea from the New England Catching website. Interested in hearing other thoughts and opinions. Thanks

17smom

Reaction score
Hi Shane, my daughter is a 14 year old catcher. She also typically holds her hand in a fist behind her glove for a quicker transfer. She used to (and occasionally still will) hold her hand down by the side of her leg. The most important thing, though, is either way make sure that she is not starting to hang her hand out to the side of her glove prior to the pitch actually being in her glove. This increases the risk of injuries to her throwing hand/fingers by a late foul ball or a pitch that does something crazy at the end that she doesn't expect - she and her pitcher are on the younger side, this happens sometimes.

When my daughter's catching coach first started having her do the fist behind the glove (at about the same age as your daugher), she had a habit of hanging that hand out. We broke the habit with the help of the lacing on her catcher's mitt. Her mitt at that time had lacing that came around and tied low on the back side. We had her hold on to those laces until she felt the ball in her glove. It's funny now because I have so many pictures of her from back then playing with the laces prior to the pitch. Having her do that might have slowed down the transfer a tiny bit at the time, but it helped her learn to keep her hand protected. The catcher's mitt we bought 2 years ago doesn't have the laces there to play with. At first she had a hard time getting used to not having them, :D but it's worked out well in the long run and she keeps her hand safe most of the time.

mgardner

Reaction score
I agree it is faster if your catcher stays disciplined and keeps her hand behind the mitt. Some allow the throwing hand to drift away as they catch the pitch and then take the mitt with the ball to the throwing hand. This slows transfer of the ball and leaves the throwing hand unprotected. Turn the mitt out front where the ball is caught then take the balll from the mitt.

Shane

Reaction score
Thanks 17smom, what a great idea with the laces. Last night my daughter's reaction was that she is putting her hand and arm at risk of being hit and injured. Something that she needs to work through as it surely helps with the transfer time!!

Shane

Reaction score
Thanks mgardner!! So much to work on. My DD is strong behind the plate but I see so much she can do to improve. And this leads to looking to the future with optimism!! : )

Reaction score
Website
WWW.OHIOBULLDAWGSELITE.COM
As long as the glove and the throwing hand meet at the (throwing hand side) ear as quickly as possible in my opinion the throwing hand placement isn't important, as long as they are comfortable. I teach them to get the ball out of their ear from the catchers position.
Glove to ear(gets you into throwing position)- ball out.

Last edited: