Tie to the runner rule?

Wreckinized

Reaction score
In our last tournament, I encountered a situation where,down by 1 and runner's on 2nd and 3rd,2outs,I decided to call a bunt(which worked perfect) but umpire called her out at 1st. His explanation was there is NO such thing as a tie for a base runner.Unless,they changed that rule,I was left in disbelief. Went on to lose to the game 4-3 and even the opposing coach said,"we got hosed". Anyway's my question is just that,"IS THERE NO TIE RULE where the runner is safe on tie's?

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
No there can not be a Tie - The old saying "Tie goes to the runner" is just that - a saying -
The call goes to whom ever the Ump feels reached the base first.

and truth be told - If he isn't sure who was there first he guesses.

crystlemc

Reaction score
I believe Cobb is correct. There is no rule that the tie goes to the runner. The ump just has to make the decision he feels is correct. Sometimes it's in your favor, sometimes not.

raidian70

Reaction score
There is no such thing, but there are many umps who will say "When in doubt its an out." The other common quote is "I don't get paid to call safe." Believe me those are not serious sayings, but if it is close they are going to make their best judgement. There are hundreds of sets of eyes at a game and if the rule of "tie goes to the runner" was real, there is a guarantee that someone will have rose colored view of a tie on every close play. It would cause more trouble than what its worth.

Comp

Reaction score
No, the rule does not say tie goes to the runner, but it does say put out prior to reaching the base. Technically, if the runner and ball both arrive at the same instant the runner has not been put out prior to reaching the base. But as has been stated, the umpire must judge which happened first and make a call.