Top tier programs vs mid level.

Wishuwereme

Reaction score
Why do the big program teams boast that they are the only ones that can get your dd noticed? If you throw 63 mph as a '00 pitcher, you'll get noticed. You could play for the River City Slugs, and they'll find you. It's not the coaches job to get you noticed, it's yours. Don't feed the ego's of the promise mills. Also don't believe for a minute that you have to be in certain showcases to get seen. If you can't get to the show, take the show to them.

Get over yourselves super program coaches!

FPcoach9

Reaction score
Amen to that. College coaches want to hear from the player. If you are good enough they will come.

Lester

Reaction score
you have to attend a camp if not at something they've attended or will attend. Video only goes so far. Phone calls are key from the player, not mommy or daddy... emails are good but it takes both. I'll repeat, phone calls are key! And if you have a coach or org with a pre-existing relationship that is huuuuuge!

Remember, they only have 52 days to recruit!

Last edited:

Lenski65

Reaction score
Why the sour grapes? Did you lose a stud player to a "big program"? You do realize that the kid and parents have the ultimate decision where the kid plays, don't you? Also, the coaches at the big programs have connections that can help a player get to the next level. The big programs get in the big invitationals where the college coaches will be. The big programs play the best competiton. Yes, the kid should do legwork to have the college coaches come to them. Kids need to attend college camps where they would like to go. I have been to college camps where the college coaches have told kids that they need to play better competition. You can play for the River City Slugs and be at the Swim At The River tournament, or you can play for Team Big Program and be at Stingrays. Where do you thing the college coach will be? They will be at the tournaments where the handfull of kids they are interested in are playing.

vikingsix

Reaction score
If you are good enough they will come.

I strongly dissagree with this statement. Its NOT that simple anymore.

Cathy Aradi, a very well respected name in College Softball Recruiting has written in her book under True and False:

College coaches will find you if you?re good enough. False. The number of softball players at the high school and club level is growing at a rapid pace and no coach has enough time to see 1 percent of them, let alone find that hidden gem in a remote area

fpitchdad

Reaction score
why the sour grapes? Did you lose a stud player to a "big program"? You do realize that the kid and parents have the ultimate decision where the kid plays, don't you? Also, the coaches at the big programs have connections that can help a player get to the next level. The big programs get in the big invitationals where the college coaches will be. The big programs play the best competiton. Yes, the kid should do legwork to have the college coaches come to them. Kids need to attend college camps where they would like to go. I have been to college camps where the college coaches have told kids that they need to play better competition. You can play for the river city slugs and be at the swim at the river tournament, or you can play for team big program and be at stingrays. Where do you thing the college coach will be? They will be at the tournaments where the handfull of kids they are interested in are playing.
bingo!!!!!!!

brownsfan

Reaction score
I strongly dissagree with this statement. Its NOT that simple anymore.

Cathy Aradi, a very well respected name in College Softball Recruiting has written in her book under True and False:

College coaches will find you if you?re good enough. False. The number of softball players at the high school and club level is growing at a rapid pace and no coach has enough time to see 1 percent of them, let alone find that hidden gem in a remote area

You beat me to it.

flarays

Reaction score
There are so many ways to take this - but it is such an over discussed topic on here it hurts my head. Would someone please paste the link to the last time it was debated. Or simply post the number of college players from the so-called super programs VS others.

wishuwereme - a nice way to start is to realize that there is a place for everyone in this sport. No need to slam a group simply because you choose not to have your daughter play with them. Lets try to have post #5 be more intuitive.

TnTs_Dad

Reaction score
Funny, a current college coach and a former D1 pitcher both told me completely opposite... the program, caliber of the teammates, level of competition (top tournaments) do matter. If for no other reason it shows you can play at the highest level. So what if you are a '00 pitcher throwing 63.... can you strike out the top hitters on the top teams? Blowing the ball by lesser caliber of competition proves little.

Wishuwereme

Reaction score
Funny, a current college coach and a former D1 pitcher both told me completely opposite... the program, caliber of the teammates, level of competition (top tournaments) do matter. If for no other reason it shows you can play at the highest level. So what if you are a '00 pitcher throwing 63.... can you strike out the top hitters on the top teams? Blowing the ball by lesser caliber of competition proves little.

No one said anything about playing lessor talent. I'm talking about the sales pitch that parents get from these "elite" programs. Let me know when you sit at your next signing table, because I'm sure it will be your first.

Outwork

Reaction score
No one said anything about playing lessor talent. I'm talking about the sales pitch that parents get from these "elite" programs. Let me know when you sit at your next signing table, because I'm sure it will be your first.

What are you talking about by sales pitch? what organization? there seems to be a lot of threads/posts being made regarding this topic by a "group" of people that appear to be holding a grudge of some sort....
there are well know organizations (elite or whatever you want to call them) that have a history of playing in good tournaments (or showcases) so as to put the girls in front of the college coaches and at the higher age levels, this is important for recruiting. I agree with the poster above that they will not just find you.

it seems as if you are upset because some of your players left to go to one of these organizations...

if i'm wrong, say so- but let this board know what Ax it is your grinding

flarays

Reaction score

Oh never mind

tjsmize3

Reaction score
If you throw 63 mph as a '00 pitcher, you'll get noticed. You could play for the River City Slugs, and they'll find you.

Really??? 63 mph at '00 gets you what... noticed by Alabama? .... OSU? ... Kent State... John Carroll... Akron Barber College...??? and who exactly is going to scout the River City Slugs? While they're playing in the Timbuktu super frenzy, 3 out of those 5 colleges will be at Boulder or the Demarini, etc... all tournaments the Slugs are not invited to play in. Sure, if you're a top-100 talent maybe some of those coaches will get in the big red recruiting bus and show up at one of your games no matter where you are... but then again, if you're a top-100 talent I doubt you'll be playing for the Slugs.
I don't know what is considered a "super program," but I know I would rather take my chances with an organization who has a track record at placing kids into D1/D2 programs consistently, then with a so called "exposure team" that never leaves Ohio.

SoCal_Dad

Reaction score
There are so many ways to take this - but it is such an over discussed topic on here it hurts my head. Would someone please paste the link to the last time it was debated. Or simply post the number of college players from the so-called super programs VS others.

wishuwereme - a nice way to start is to realize that there is a place for everyone in this sport. No need to slam a group simply because you choose not to have your daughter play with them. Lets try to have post #5 be more intuitive.
Alas, the Great Crash took away all that history.
- We can't post links to the past discussions.
- We can't look at people's past posts and/or verify what we recall them posting in the past.
(sigh)

Wishuwereme

Reaction score
Really??? 63 mph at '00 gets you what... noticed by Alabama? .... OSU? ... Kent State... John Carroll... Akron Barber College...??? and who exactly is going to scout the River City Slugs? While they're playing in the Timbuktu super frenzy, 3 out of those 5 colleges will be at Boulder or the Demarini, etc... all tournaments the Slugs are not invited to play in. Sure, if you're a top-100 talent maybe some of those coaches will get in the big red recruiting bus and show up at one of your games no matter where you are... but then again, if you're a top-100 talent I doubt you'll be playing for the Slugs.
I don't know what is considered a "super program," but I know I would rather take my chances with an organization who has a track record at placing kids into D1/D2 programs consistently, then with a so called "exposure team" that never leaves Ohio.

Did I just get schooled by an 11u coach? I'm slipping.

Can any of you "Super Ego" coaches tell me the percentage of players that get a significant amount of money to play at the d1 level?

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
Did I just get schooled by an 11u coach? I'm slipping.

Can any of you "Super Ego" coaches tell me the percentage of players that get a significant amount of money to play at the d1 level?

Get the info straight from the horse's mouth.

Have your DD go to a college camp. Most of the camps also have an informational class for parents. ASK THE COLLEGE COACH!!! I know that the Univ of Akron, Coach Julie Jones, has a winter camp that also includes a family class where she tells it like it is. She explains about how much athletic money you can expect to receive, how much you will work during the season and off-season. She will answer your questions.

Also, a lot of 10U and 12U coaches have already travelled that road that involves college recruiting. They are just re-starting in the younger age groups and working their way back up.

Last edited:

Coach Sonny

Reaction score
All that any of us can really do is speak from our own experiences and from what the college programs have given us as feedback. I have coached players who have, currently are or will play Collegiately...including my own daughter. Here are my two cents based simply on my own experiences as a coach that has been through it with my college exposure team and who is now preparing my current 13U team for what is to come. When we started our first "College Exposure" team we were a very young 2nd year organization that hadn't proven anything yet. We had quality "recruitable" players on the team but our organization had not been on a National stage yet. I had to provide resumes on all of my players and do a lot of credible convincing to get that first shot at the big invite events. We proved ourselves once we got on the stage and the rest is history. Now, getting on that stage is huge but a College coach EXPECTS a player to contact them, and repeatedly, about interest in their program before they're coming there specifically to see them play. As a head coach I can only develop a player, give them and their parents tools, provide wisdom and reach out w integrity to programs that the player is interested in once she enters her recruitable years. The parents/player needs to email coaches with ALL of their softball information, academic progress, tournament schedules etc. They need to also give follow ups as they progress, attend camps, do individual "Showcase" events and play in the "Showcase" tournaments that the are on most college coaches recruit circuit...the bigger the stage the better. I am not saying that you MUST play for the top XYZ coach/team/org but since they have a history of proving to have the "product" they will be the one who gets displayed first. You have to remember that most of these college coaches are coming to see specific players that they have already had communication with but others can be discovered just from being noticed in a game that another player is being observed in...happens a lot. That said...the majority of the players I have had recruited over the years were the result of what the PARENTS and PLAYERS did with the tools that I provided them...a lot of marketing of themselves! Simply put...Coaches/Instructors develop the player, provide tools and give wisdom. Parents supporting talented players that do well in school, follow up with college coaches, attend their camps, coaches attending individual or team "showcase" events to watch her play, she then gets recruited, goes on a visit and then hopefully gets signed.

Last edited:

Cankles

Reaction score
you have to attend a camp if not at something they've attended or will attend. Video only goes so far. Phone calls are key from the player, not mommy or daddy... emails are good but it takes both. I'll repeat, phone calls are key! And if you have a coach or org with a pre-existing relationship that is huuuuuge!

Remember, they only have 52 days to recruit!

This guy gets it. Oh, how I miss Ga