Tournament without spectators

SoftballBomb

Reaction score
If we could play tournaments again without spectators, meaning only coaches and players can be in attendance. Would you as a parent be willing to let your daughter go play? Would you as the coaches be willing to except the extra responsibilities involved?

jayflyer98

Reaction score
My thought is there eventually will be new guidance for outdoor events. Most fields will allow parents to spread out to watch. No need for everyone to be gathered right behind the backstop. I bet a lot of players would rather have their parents out in right-field....
My 2 cents is that it is only April 16th. Lets see what the next 30 days brings as things start to open up. Were the models wrong, yes... But that is a positive thing. We need to learn from the new data. Some things might not be the same this season. Movement towards smaller local tournaments. If a tournament can't have a concession stand, let them charge a small gate fee.. I would be happy to pay one and bring my own food in. But again, it is only April 16th and most teams really do not start until the very end of May/Early June.

daboss

Reaction score
Right now, I truly believe it would be difficult to field a team. I believe fielding enough teams to actually have a competitive tournament at any level would be more difficult. Ohioans have shown a large number are choosing to follow the guidelines mandated and will refrain from any gathering. Spreading parents out around a field is one thing, grouping the kids and coaches in a dugout situation is another. Most responsible parents are going to wait this out.

I'm not implicating SoftballBomb or jayflyer98 are bad parents. The thread is a good one to stimulate conversation. Thank you. I'm curious to what others say. lol.

Education is key. People need to react to what we know to be true about the virus (Covid-19). One fact that should be considered is what we don't know. This virus could have lingering affects that could last a life time. Once the respiratory system is compromised to the degree being reported, the aftermath can lead to health issues that can be irreversible. It's the unknown that should scare you.

Myself and many farmers were diagnosed years ago as having been impacted by a blue mold found in stored grain. My family Dr. called it "Blue Mold Lung". Apparently it has similarities to lungs infected with asbestos and is there for a life time. To this day if I get around fine dust I'm susceptible to flu-like symptoms. I get cold chills, sweating, diarrhea, constricted chest, and shallow breathing. This can go on for days. No cure. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, especially a young person wanting to play a game in the dirt.............

Everyone is different. Everyone is going to react differently to the virus. We know about the symptoms and the similarities. We simply don't know enough about what's next. I wouldn't subject a life time of respiratory issues to anyone to play a game. Little Suzy might miss her senior year but it'll be worth the sacrifice to bounce a new generation of softball addicts on her knee. She can relive her youth thru their eyes while still having her health to play with them. It could also mean the new generation of players would still have their grandparents around to watch...............

Just my opinion.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If we could play tournaments again without spectators, meaning only coaches and players can be in attendance. Would you as a parent be willing to let your daughter go play? Would you as the coaches be willing to except the extra responsibilities involved?
here is what gets me..... somehow some people (no names please) have this general idea that our kids and coaches have some type of protective shield around them if they are allowed to go play ball... really?
social distancing is here to stay for a while... probably months at the minimum.... masks or some type of mouth coverage or shields, face covering will be highly recommended if not mandatory in public places... it seems a lot of people think its ok to put the girls out there because they are young and healthy. i dont get it. I WANT SOFTBALL TO START TOO!

but.... this is something we all have NEVER seen or been thru. I hate it as much as the next. lets put our families and children and ourselves first b4 softball for once. I know all us diehard softball fans have put softball before just about everything for the last numerous years.... but this time. ITs much different. again: JMHO friends

Stedman00

Reaction score
fine by me, but I coach 18u and all the players can drive themselves anyway.

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
here is what gets me..... somehow some people (no names please) have this general idea that our kids and coaches have some type of protective shield around them if they are allowed to go play ball... really?
social distancing is here to stay for a while... probably months at the minimum.... masks or some type of mouth coverage or shields, face covering will be highly recommended if not mandatory in public places... it seems a lot of people think its ok to put the girls out there because they are young and healthy. i dont get it. I WANT SOFTBALL TO START TOO!

but.... this is something we all have NEVER seen or been thru. I hate it as much as the next. lets put our families and children and ourselves first b4 softball for once. I know all us diehard softball fans have put softball before just about everything for the last numerous years.... but this time. ITs much different. again: JMHO friends
tenor.gif

Couldnt have said it any better, bravo.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because this is a softball site, people do refer as it is the only thing that matters.

What it boils down to - Is when restaurants are allowed to open again, when malls are opened again - tournaments will be allowed to be played. If restaurants and malls are not allowed to open, then it won't happen. It all goes hand in hand....

OHsoftball

Reaction score
Because this is a softball site, people do refer as it is the only thing that matters.

What it boils down to - Is when restaurants are allowed to open again, when malls are opened again - tournaments will be allowed to be played. If restaurants and malls are not allowed to open, then it won't happen. It all goes hand in hand....

Yes, agree 100%

jayflyer98

Reaction score
Right now, I truly believe it would be difficult to field a team. I believe fielding enough teams to actually have a competitive tournament at any level would be more difficult. Ohioans have shown a large number are choosing to follow the guidelines mandated and will refrain from any gathering. Spreading parents out around a field is one thing, grouping the kids and coaches in a dugout situation is another. Most responsible parents are going to wait this out.

I'm not implicating SoftballBomb or jayflyer98 are bad parents. The thread is a good one to stimulate conversation. Thank you. I'm curious to what others say. lol.

Education is key. People need to react to what we know to be true about the virus (Covid-19). One fact that should be considered is what we don't know. This virus could have lingering affects that could last a life time. Once the respiratory system is compromised to the degree being reported, the aftermath can lead to health issues that can be irreversible. It's the unknown that should scare you.

Myself and many farmers were diagnosed years ago as having been impacted by a blue mold found in stored grain. My family Dr. called it "Blue Mold Lung". Apparently it has similarities to lungs infected with asbestos and is there for a life time. To this day if I get around fine dust I'm susceptible to flu-like symptoms. I get cold chills, sweating, diarrhea, constricted chest, and shallow breathing. This can go on for days. No cure. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, especially a young person wanting to play a game in the dirt.............

Everyone is different. Everyone is going to react differently to the virus. We know about the symptoms and the similarities. We simply don't know enough about what's next. I wouldn't subject a life time of respiratory issues to anyone to play a game. Little Suzy might miss her senior year but it'll be worth the sacrifice to bounce a new generation of softball addicts on her knee. She can relive her youth thru their eyes while still having her health to play with them. It could also mean the new generation of players would still have their grandparents around to watch...............

Just my opinion.

daboss, I don't think anyone on this message board is implying they are going to defy guidelines and try and play before it is permissible. Hopefully my posts did not suggest that. I am an optimistic person and always will be. I also will certainly respect anyone's decision to sit this season out if they have any concerns. The optimistic person in me believes we will be playing some softball this summer. Will it be the same, absolutely not and it shouldn't be until there is a vaccine. And if we can't get to "Phase 2" in Ohio this summer, I will accept that and make plans 2021 season.

Colt Coach

Reaction score
There is part of this equation that is being left out UMPIRES!!!!! These are generally older women/ men that for 40$ aren’t going to risk there health. So if tournaments do happen look for a lot of 1 umpire games this summer. Also look for extra charges from TD to make up no one to volunteer to take 5$ from 200 individuals. JMO. Be safe everyone

PaulP

Reaction score
I read that DeWine said in his press briefing today that professional and amateur sports with crowds will be the last to happen. That’s not good for summer ball. Hopefully we’ll be able to test a lot more soon, which might allow some games to be played with limited attendance. Emirates airline is blood testing at check in, with results before boarding, so the technology is available. Basically, this sucks, but the reality is sacrifices need to be made to protect healthcare workers and elderly. But most of us will be exposed to coronavirus before a vaccine is available, hopefully by next year.