Travel Ball Players Playing Roster Ball at same ??

Wanting some feedback on Opinions about Travel Ball Players trying to play on roster ball teams and the effects of the timing for hitters making the switch from fast to slow and back to fast again..

Re: Travel Ball Players Playing Roster Ball at sam

IMHO For pitchers, they can get alot of extra innings.
Hitters, especially at the younger levels 10's and 12's
they have a difficult time at both Travel and rec ball.
They can't hold back for the rec pitchers and when they do get used to them and they switch back to their travel ball teams then they can't catch up to the ball.

I agree with Grizzlies, for pitchers getting more innings in game situations is always good, especially for a #2 or #3 pitcher on a travel team it's a good way for them to get innings. As far as hitting goes rec ball is a great way for the travel player to learn the lefty slap, bunt, etc. That way their timing doesnt get messed with to bad.

That's what we've done for the past several years. We've been able to play up in roster ball age brackets which helps quite a bit as well.

As a community based team we have lived with a foot in both worlds for years and have found it very useful. In league play we work on situations like loading the bases (usally we have to help by walking some batters) and trying to make outs only at home, or only getting the lead runner. We track our pitchers to make sure they are throwing all their pitches, we only want them throwing 40% fast balls in league games. We work on bunting from both sides of the plate and slap hitting. We also work on bunt (going to 3rd with runners on) and slap defence. We look to face all kinds of pitching so our players can adjust. In tournaments we look to put all this to use.

In my opinion, play on both a travel team and a roster team at 10u and maybe a young 12u is okay but not any longer than that. The timing does get messed up because travel team pitchers start to develop more speed and learn different pitchers that most roster ball pitchers won't. I know when I did this at 12u, I would get frustrated with the roster ball team because I would want them to take it seriously like I took travel ball. Some of the kids aren't at the same level of competition and it is very frustrating from all aspects. As the girls get older it is definitely not good to play both because it really can screw things up with your swing and other abilities. Just my 2 cents though.