Truth or fake softball story

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
They have fake news :eek: why not have a truth or fake softball thread.

I will start it out with my story, members you decide if it's true or fake by replying to this post. Then you tell a story and let others decide if it true or fake.

"My Story"

As everyone knows for years we put on one the biggest tournament in the state of Ohio. For years we drawed over 1000's team in the Jamboree until we had to cancel due to low team count.

Who would have ever thought that the oil fraking business would have ended almost a 15 years run for the Jamboree.

The main reason we had to cancel the Jamboree was due to the shortage of motel room in Zanesville, Ohio.

jpkeating

Reaction score
This is a tough one, I’m going to say it’s a fake story

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
No its a true story, we had hit almost 50 teams, then Coaches started to call me saying they couldn't find any rooms even close. Then around 9pm coaches started calling saying they needed to pull out due to the motel shortage. We starred with 50 teams at 8am and had 16 pull out before 10pm in one day. I started calling motel in the area and they all were book for the most part until November thanksgiving

NWCbus0124

Reaction score
The Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA has the same issue. First year it came up, they asked all the oil companies to have their employees vacate hotels. All agreed except one. That one company agreed after learning they were the only one and did not want to be the lead story on SportsCenter. But the Little League World Series has a much higher profile than a regional softball tourney. Seems like the companies are still cooperating.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA has the same issue. First year it came up, they asked all the oil companies to have their employees vacate hotels. All agreed except one. That one company agreed after learning they were the only one and did not want to be the lead story on SportsCenter. But the Little League World Series has a much higher profile than a regional softball tourney. Seems like the companies are still cooperating.

I say Fake!
LLWS in Williamsport, Pa, just expanded to 16 teams in 2001 & I'm sure they had things in place before doing that.
Been around a long time - slowly building up to the size it currently is. 16 teams - even though the fan base may be a bit larger - isn't nothing to a National event hosting 50-150 teams for a week.....

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score

I believe it's true.

City Slicker

Reaction score
True or False

A batter gets hit by the pitch - twice in the same at-bat - and does not get awarded first base.

City Slicker

Reaction score
TRUE.....
Swings at pitch, or in the strike zone......

In those situations, yes, you're right.

I should've clarified my question. (would've been hard without giving away the answer.)

My question should have been: True or false - A batter gets hit by the pitch twice in the same at-bat and does not get first base. (The batter did not swing at a pitch and the neither of the pitches were in the strike zone.)

Situation:

The batter did not swing nor was the ball in the strike zone. The first ball that hit her was in the calf. The second pitch that hit her was in the butt. Both times the pitch was called a ball and the runners returned to their bases.

City Slicker

Reaction score
False, bUT he had really dark, I mean really dark sunglasses
So here's the rest of the story.....

In the top of the first inning, the same batter got hit by a pitch. After three outs, he came up to me and said: "I could've not awarded her the base because she made no attempt to move but I couldn't do that to her." I said, "I don't agree, there was a rule change that specifically says that batters do not need to make an attempt."

Two innings later was the at-bat that I am talking about - side note, this girl won the "Mama's got Ice Award" this summer on my team - Between innings, he brought us both together and tried to explain it. I said, "I know what you're saying, I just don't agree." I showed him the rule and he said that ASA apparently did not make the change that NFHS, NCAA, USSSA & USA Softball made.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
...he said that ASA apparently did not make the change that NFHS, NCAA, USSSA & USA Softball made.

TRUE!

ASA did NOT change their rule. They still require a batter to make some effort to avoid a pitch.

(On a side note...ASA no longer exits. They changed their name to USA softball a couple of years ago. But their rule is still the same...batter must make an attempt to avoid the pitch!)

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Was the Cincy Doom one of the first teams in Ohio to wear pants instead of shorts?

I would have to call this a FAKE story, even in the 70's ye that right 1976 girls show up to games in pants. Of course there was one team that I seen wearing dresses with long socks, I believe one of the players went by the name of ROSE.