Tryout Newbie Questions

Was hoping for some advice! My daughter is to the point where she wants to concentrate more on softball instead of "playing the field" with several sports. Skill-wise, she has "outgrown" our city's summer travel league and is quite a bit better than the other girls. But I have no idea what is expected at a try out.

Here are my questions and concerns:

1. After being on the "top" of her teams (CYO and city travel)- how do I make sure she isn't shell-shocked at a try out? I don't want her to lose confidence and start second guessing herself in the midst of a try out if she realizes everyone else there is good too.

2. How can I find out about teams and how competitive they are? I know she is very good, but I know there are better girls out there who have been playing for these types of teams for years. How do I find a level that is a good fit without just printing out the list and going to every try out.

3. Is the tryout list on this site pretty comprehensive? If so, when does it start filling up more- as of today I am only seeing 19 entries (several of which are for the same teams).

4. My daughter just turned 12. If these teams have 10U teams, did we miss the boat to try out for these teams? Will the 12U teams just be the girls from 10U moving up with maybe one or two "spare" spots?

5. My daughter pitches and plays short stop. She is very good at short stop. She can also play the outfield well though she doesn't play it now. Her pitching can be great or can be bad. She is just not consistent. She either walks girls or strikes them out- I know she can not pitch for an elite team walking that many people. Should we even mention that she pitches at a try out - or do we just show up and say she plays short stop or just say "she will play anywhere you will take her"?

6. She does not slap and has rarely bunted. Do I need to get her some hitting lessons for bunting and slapping before tryouts? I don't want her to feel like she is inadequately prepared because she doesn't slap and isn't a tried and tested bunter. I don't want her to look bad to the coaches if she doesn't do something "correctly" or like she's done it 1,000 times before.

7. Are there any other tips anyone who has been through this a million times can give me? I am stressing (privately) about it because I want to help her go into these tryouts as prepared as possible and want to make sure I don't do (or not do) anything that would put her at a disadvantage as I think she is already at a disadvantage entering at 12U.

Thanks!!

Wow... This was EXACTLY my DD at 12 (13 years ago)! She started travel ball at 12u and culminated her softball "career" as a DI college pitcher! Don't fret about missing 10u travel, it's all about how hard you work at it. I don't have time for an in-depth post right now, but I will begin by saying that the prime time to check out travel teams is NOW during the summer (June & July). Go to tournaments where prospective teams are playing and observe observe observe! Watch how the coaches handle themselves and how the girls interact. You can gather a LOT of info by being a mouse on the sidelines. Hint-Hint... Stingrays tourney in Columbus is in two weeks...

Good tip about observing the tourneys- I'll go check the lists out and see what is going on! I sorta thought we should approach it like choosing a college- try out for at least one "saftey" team and then one or more teams at her level and then one or more teams a little above.

Don't jump at the first offer. You and your DD will be excited but you need to get the right fit. You will hear that a lot. By the right fit, I mean where she will be coached (not managed), where she will get along her new teammates, where she will get meaningful time for repetitions (game time) to develop those skills the coaches will be teaching her.

What part of the state are you located?

If she gets on a team where she is at the top end or the bottom end of the overall skills ranking, then she, and you, will be unhappy. If she is at Top end you and her will be frustrated, bottom end you and she will be frustrated and mad because that usually equates to lack of playing time.

Another thing you may want to consider, contact a coach here on OFC and see if you can work with the team. Explain to them why and they will more than likely will help you out. This gives you a good feel of where your DD fits and what needs to be worked on for improvement.

As a pitcher's dad, never sell short. At around 12-14U, the flamethrowers at the young age are getting caught up to (unless they have been working on other pitches at the same time), while others who continued to work started to take over.

Another thing you may want to consider, contact a coach here on OFC and see if you can work with the team. Explain to them why and they will more than likely will help you out. This gives you a good feel of where your DD fits and what needs to be worked on for improvement.

As a pitcher's dad, never sell short. At around 12-14U, the flamethrowers at the young age are getting caught up to (unless they have been working on other pitches at the same time), while others who continued to work started to take over.

Words of wisdom, John, words of wisdom...:D

And since she turned 12 this year she will be elegible to play on a 12U team next season, as long as she is 12 on Jan, 1st. My DD started out when she was 11, similar to your situation. I'd goto as many tryouts as possible and see what happens. Don't be pressured to join a team. If they really want her, they will wait til you decide. Do not be alarmed if you join a team and it takes her a while to adjust to playing travel ball. there is a learning curve that only comes with experience. Be patient. Also, if she chooses to be a pitcher for long term, find a good pitching coach sooner than later and learn proper mechanics now. To be successful pitching, you and her will need to be very committed to pitch 3 to 4 times per week plus weekly lessons to consistently improve. We are 2 yrs down that path now. hard work pays off, but it comes with a price of commitment and paying for lessons. Same goes for hitting! Get lessons. it's not an easy skill to master.

You sound like me last year at this time.

We actually subbed in July to get a taste of travel before tryouts. Find a team near you who needs a sub and experience a tournament, it is going to be an eye opener.

Not sure where you are located at, or if your weekends are free right now. But, you could search some tourneys on here, and you and your DD just go watch a few games. You can gain alot of knowledge just by watching how teams react to situations, team chemistry, as well as how the coaches handle situations. Also, you could go up and talk to a few parents, see how they like the org, or things they dont like.

Here is a check list of ideas:

- check out local tournaments
- ask to attend a practice now
- get a feel for who is who on the team (where does coaches kid play)
- check out the schedule from last year
- really look for a team that has an indoor facility
- find out the practice schedule, the more the better IMO
- I would not rely on too much word of mouth on a coach or team unless it is from someone you know and trust, peoples judgement is very subjective when it comes to coaches

- DO NOT pester coach
- DO NOT assume that returning parents will be giving you good feedback (lots of love/hate from parent to parent)

Remember this is the time of year that parents and players get ornery. It has been a long season and the girls and parents are tired and a bit burned out.

Go to lots of tryouts. If you settle in on just 1 or 2 and you don't make those teams you could be struggling to find a good fit later.

Also since its your first foray into the mix, ask how many nights they stay in hotels and not just summertime, we used to do winter trips as well and also how far they go. It adds up for families real fast with gas, food and rooms.

Also try not to let her give up other sports yet, she still has allot of high school activities and starting at 12 100% of the time, many girls get burned out by the time they hit 18.

Thanks. We are located in NE Ohio (Cleveland- East side). If she only makes one team- do we say yes just to get her "foot in the door"?

Thanks- this sounds like a silly question, but how do you know which posters are coaches here? Thanks! Karen

Just so I don't fill up the thread with inane responses- thank you all for your responses. We will definitely take the advice seriously. We are going to go to the torunament in Strongsville this weekend to watch some games. Would any of you feel odd or be put out if a parent like me just walked up to you out of the blue and started asking you questions at a tournament? Obviously, I wouldn't ask during a game (or right after a loss) or be obnoxious.

Here is a check list of ideas:

- check out local tournaments
- ask to attend a practice now
- get a feel for who is who on the team (where does coaches kid play)
- check out the schedule from last year
- really look for a team that has an indoor facility
- find out the practice schedule, the more the better IMO
- I would not rely on too much word of mouth on a coach or team unless it is from someone you know and trust, peoples judgement is very subjective when it comes to coaches

- DO NOT pester coach
- DO NOT assume that returning parents will be giving you good feedback (lots of love/hate from parent to parent)

Remember this is the time of year that parents and players get ornery. It has been a long season and the girls and parents are tired and a bit burned out.

To add to the point in bold above, make sure your goals and expectations for your DD and the team's goals and expectations are similar. It really is a long season when the coach talks about "high potential team" and plays scrimmages all winter against the next age up but come time for the season, you're still playing local "B" tournaments, and tournaments that the parents pick out. The coach should have a vision and a plan for the team, and if it sounds too good to be true, it ususally is. Also see if you can find out who the assistant coaches are as well and see if they are qualified. It really is a bad situation when your kid knows more about how to play the game and the rules than the the so-called coaches.

Just so I don't fill up the thread with inane responses- thank you all for your responses. We will definitely take the advice seriously. We are going to go to the torunament in Strongsville this weekend to watch some games. Would any of you feel odd or be put out if a parent like me just walked up to you out of the blue and started asking you questions at a tournament? Obviously, I wouldn't ask during a game (or right after a loss) or be obnoxious.

I don't see most coaches having a problem with being approached after they have finished talking to their team after the game. If it makes you feel like you're catching them at a bad time you may want to tell them that you are interested after watching their game and ask for a phone number to contact them at a better time. My guess is the majority of those you approach, even in this way, would not have a problem having the conversation with you about their team / organization. It might just be the opening dialogue but when you call later, they will at least have a face to put with a name for both you and your DD.

I think the best advice is to try to attend a practice, and get an honest assessment of where your DD's skill set is. I know our coach is typically willing to let girls come to practice to see what we are all about, and you can PM me if interested. From that, you need to figure out what you want out of making the jump to travel. If you prefer to stay local or go play in the "big" tournaments, and find a team whose goals match your DD's and what your family's commitment level is. You can use the search function on this sight to see if what the coach is telling you is matching what they actually did this past year.

As far as preparing for tryouts, I think the biggest difference from rec to travel is the speed of the game, especially at the younger ages. So you could maybe work with her on doing things quickly and without hesitating. Alot of the tryouts use machines for hitting, so get her in the cages, and incrementally work up the speed until you're getting in the low to mid 50's on the machine.

Also....

Do not fall into the belief that playing travel ball means that your DD will get a college scholarship. For the average player, you are better off, financially, to take all of the money you will spend on travel ball and put it into a 529 account. Academics will get you more college money that athletics. (But scholarships are an entirely different discussion)

But...there are so many good memories that you and your DD will have from playing travel ball. My DD and our family have met and made so many good friends from travel ball. I wouldn't trade it for the world. My DD played travel ball from 10U through 18U and decided not to play college ball.:( She chose academics. :)