Tryout prep - how fast will the pitching machines be?

First2Third

Reaction score
It seems at all levels I have seen pitching machines used at tryouts to evaluate hitting. Occasionally there is live pitching from kids or coaches, but that seems more rare. My question is, for each level (10u, 12u, etc.), what speed should folks expect the pitching machines to be set at when they go to tryouts?

There will certainly be some variation based on the expected quality/level of competition of the team, or based on the number of open spots, but I'd like to zero in on a general range for each age group. I'd definitely like to see some responses from coaches and others organizing upcoming tryouts. My guess would be somewhere in this range:

10u: 40-44
12u: 46-50
14u: 48-52
16u: 52-56
18u: 55-60

What do you use?

wow

Reaction score
This is like asking someone's opinion on who the Browns should draft in 2017. Opinions will be all over the place. You probably want to be at the upper end of what you will see at yr age bracket from a pitchers standpoint. Your examples below are a little low. There is less and less emphasis at the 14u+ levels on speed alone. 10 and 12 the machine is good.. However knowing pitches break like cartoons at the higher ages, speed is less of a factor.

10u: 50ish
12u: 55ish
14u: 60ish
16u: IDK all the way maybe?
18u: how much movement you got?

ificanbelikeu

Reaction score
This is like asking someone's opinion on who the Browns should draft in 2017.

i guess in this case asking the homeless guy on his opinion would be the answer! Sorry, couldn't help myself

jd100

Reaction score
When there are 40 girls at tryouts and only 5 hit the ball with regularity that tells me the speed is too high. At 12u tryouts last year most of the organizations had this problem (if it is considered to be a problem?). I still wonder why my 11-year old daughter got offers after her hitting performance. I guess you identify the 5 best this way. But if only 2 of those 5 accept the offer, I would think it would be nice to know the next 10 best. My opinion is based on me sitting in my chair behind the fence so I would be interested in what the actual coaches think?

Reaction score
I personally dislike machines and find them to be ineffective most of the time...especially at tryouts. Last year at our tryouts I threw BP and front toss to the girls. It was very productive and I could move them through quickly and efficiently.

As far as machines go, I could be in the minority in not liking them?

swaves

Reaction score
I agree, don't like them. My DD rarely hits off them. I find it more beneficial for her hitting front toss, side toss, and tee.

Laser05

Reaction score
I plan to throw front toss to girls at Lasers 10U. I would prefer to see them react to arm motion and how they hit inside, outside, low, high ect. That will tell me what I need to know.

ValleyStorm

Reaction score
We do not use a lot of the machines. Front toss is a staple but I have to agree with lasers coach Mike on speeds when we do.