Tryout spie recruiter

AceGRC

Reaction score
We had a tryout just recently where a coach of another organization was found sitting talking with parents of our players trying out.
a young 12U player trying out noticed this coach and notified our 12U coach. We stopped what we were doing and walked over to confront the group sitting in the dugout. We asked who is the coach that is in our tryouts, everyone's face looked shocked. Finally the coach spoke up and said he helps ( ) and his daughter will be trying out for our team. So, we asked which player is she? His reply shes not here but she will be next week." The next day our 12 U coach gets a text from a parent that was in the dugout there and they confirmed their daughter had just been recruited to his team and will not be joining ours. 3 more days another player also left to go to that team. We checked the Facebook of this coach to see if he is with that organization and yes photos have him in that organizations coaching shirt.
This person BOLD FACED stated he was not there for recruiting.... but he was and has no honor.

These things do happen but the boldness of this person is over the top......... I had total respect for his organization for many many years and can not believe how their standards drop so far down and now being practiced. It is hard enough to do things right but when you have these tactics practiced and allowed by your staff members you may gain some good players but you lost RESPECT and a Past Good Reputation.
I tried to reach out to the Organizations Director with no response yet...but as we all know that will not stop people from their ways of operating.

I wonder how well it would be to POST and POINT OUT this person on our team site? I know some people will say just get over it but who wants to turn around and get it in the back again? I have read about these types of stealing player tactics but I never had a bold face lie told to me like that before that I caught as it was happening. A true ( X ) level tactic used... I guess we should have had him removed at that point...lesson learned

mike_dyer

Reaction score
I think I've seen that guy and his assistant around.

Villainc.svg.jpg

Villain_2.jpg

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sam-Kinison.jpg

Do we like SNEAKY ASS coaches... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, NAME THEM, NAME THEM, OOOH, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

coachjwb

Reaction score
I'd call them out here ... if we want this kind of crap to stop, this is one place to make it happen.

Once, when I became the coach of a new team and we were advertising for another 1-2 players, I had someone call me and act as if they were interested for their daughter and told me she would try out, but she never showed. I figured out later that they were just fishing around for info on my team and organization because they were starting their own team and organization. I don't remember everything but they asked things like the cost, payment terms, where most of the players were from, etc. They didn't come and try to take any of my players, so not nearly like the situation you describe, but sometimes when I see that person, I still remember that they weren't truthful to me at least that one time.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Think of all the time the accused coach saved by just going to someone else's tryouts to find players,no finding a location,posting on tsz, getting other coach's to help.Probably keeps the team fees lower as well.Probably happands more than you think.Once. a poacher allways a poacher so I've heard.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
what kind of Parents would follow such an extremely unethical snake of a coach?

I was thinking the same thing. In order for this to happen, you have to have a willing Poacher, and a willing Poachee...

mike_dyer

Reaction score
I want to hear who it was, but only for the LOLs.

As others have pointed out, if being a snake was any sort of a deterant there wouldn't be a thread about it.

They may be a dirtbag, but that premier 3n2 gold showcase team kool aid they have is delicious.

Last edited:

yossarian

Reaction score
Call him out by name and org. Not for the drama, but as others have said, it's one of the things that will make people think twice about it. You got confirmation from parents that he was doing it. I'm sure everyone from his org to his parents would like to know who they're associated with.

He'll have a chance to explain himself here.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
Dave, I wouldn't hesitate to call them out on here.
only way it will stop. it's hard enough as it is, no need for this kind of action to make it any harder.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
yep, the coaches clues are a dead giveaway........extremely disappointing the situations that arise in travel ball

FastBat

Reaction score
/\/\/\/\I think 12u?

Thanks Ace. I figured out that clue! I've heard of the parking lot flyers, but this is bold.

Last edited:

AceGRC

Reaction score
After a talk today with the Director which I have respect for, the issue of the asst Coach that has done this deed will be looked at closely and does not reflect the normal recruitment operations of his organization as a practice. So basically the asst Coach was a lone wolf and his action was not with the blessings of the Coach.
Case closed.

coachjwb

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't close the case until I knew that this organization representative was talked to and appropriately dealt with. Perhaps that was done here, but it wouldn't be good enough for me if the coach got away with it, and didn't really learn a lesson.

AceGRC

Reaction score
I agree Jeff but as for our staff we made our point and case, it is now in the hands of someone who can act on it. time tells all
This year has been the hardest on us to recruit quality athletes out of 11 years now. I will stand up for my Coaches in defense if they are wronged even if looks like we are crying about tactics. Things always have a way of getting balanced in time. 360 degree effect