tryouts same day and time

wiseguy

Reaction score
Why does everyone have the tryouts the same day. Ridiculous. I understand trying to get the talent first but come on

ificanbelikeu

Reaction score
So, what do you suggest the dates to have tryouts on? My opinion is to honestly judge your DD talent level, choose the organization that would best suit her needs and goals, then either go to their tryouts or set something up private. Probably can eliminate a few hundred by that criteria alone.

wow

Reaction score
You have to limit your tryout schedule to 3 maybe 4 teams. If there is a conflict there are usually alternate dates. There is always the option of a private tryout. But the dates are limited because most teams start playing in September fall ball or turneys.

Do your homework on the teams you want to play for. Hopefully you were watching this past summer and already know where the talent is.

Maybe, just maybe, those polls are good for something...

First2Third

Reaction score
If I were in charge of tryouts I would be looking to have them the weeknights of the week of 8/10 instead of waiting until the next weekend. Yes, everybody has them 8/8 and 8/9, but I'd be wanting to jump on that next group instead of waiting to compete the following weekend too. There are hardly any scheduled that week so you know you would get the best of those still available.

Run26

Reaction score
We were lucky in that my daughters stayed on the same team almost their entire TB careers. The coaches still made the whole team participate in tryouts but our core usually always came back.

Personally, (I know it will never happen) I'd like to see these orgs give these girls a break. Most of them are coming directly off of high level nationals and they are just beat. To turn right around and have to perform for your spot seems out of place to me.

Last edited:

snoman76

Reaction score
Waiting 1 week later then everyone else will kill you. We were in Myrtle last year while everyone was having their tryouts and it affected our turnout. Coaches are very demanding wanting that commitment right away.

I agree Run26. It would be nice to have at least a week or 2 off.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
My opinion is to honestly judge your DD talent level, choose the organization that would best suit her needs and goals,.

This is Much easier Said than Done - The Dunning Kruger Effect greatly hampers making a good judgment on your own kids talent level.
Another problem is YOU have no idea what the team you think is a good fit needs and what they will see in try-outs.
Also don't assume that coach you saw a couple times this year working with and teaching the kids on his team will take your kid under his wing.

This is a hard and stressful time for family's especially if they need to make a move.

Take your time read all you can, then read between the lines Then ask people.

A year is a long time on the wrong team.

Good Lock

Lester

Reaction score
Oh no, will someone please resurrect the shopping market tryout concept thread from a couple years ago? LMAO. The team with the best give-a-ways will get the most players.

backstop09

Reaction score
Why does everyone have the tryouts the same day. Ridiculous. I understand trying to get the talent first but come on

You haven't been at this travel ball thing very long, have you??

Louuuuu

Reaction score

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
I'll enlighten the masses:

(I had to look it up...)

The Dunning-Kruger effect is the finding that the poorest performers are the least aware of their own incompetence. - See more at: http://www.spring.org.uk/2012/06/th...w-theyre-incompetent.php#sthash.cmFUPN3O.dpuf

Yes and there is a corollary that says - The best performers are unaware of their competence.

Charles Darwin said it best; "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does Knowledge".

So the Less you know the better you think you are - The More you know the worse you believe yourself (or your kid) to be
The Hard part is to know where you are on that circle.

"Am I very good and just think I'm bad Or Bad and just think I'm good"

Last edited:

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
WOWs post is right on...

Tryout needs vary per team and organization and I can assure you most teams do not care what time or date someone else is having tryouts regardless of sport.

You will find as you stay in any game long enough tryouts are year around and parents need to do their homework long before August if they are looking for their DD to move up in play class.

Yes, that means recruiting and showcasing for travel teams at the upper levels happens during season. As a coach over the years I know of about a half dozen teams that were recruiting my players in season. I also was approached just about every season with a parent/player that wanted to switch teams and I would say the majority of your longer established coaches have seen the same.

Most of your top tier programs already know the core they are returning and who they are releasing at seasons end. (The ones with class do it before tryouts).

These programs have already been in contact with potential players and have a pretty good idea if they are coming on board or not so, at the tryout they are mostly looking for a player or two that will help push the rest of the group. These same principles apply with Team mergers or teams switching organizations. These decisions do not come about at the end of July. These deals have been in the works for a season sometimes two before an announcement is made.

Last edited:

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Another thing about tryouts is, the teams/organizations generally pay for field rental in advance (I always did it a month before).
If teams wait sometimes they lose their best locations or time slots.

A lot of times parents do not understand the amount of planning and money that goes into just having tryouts.
The bigger the tryout the more time is involved. Weekday tryouts are more expensive than weekend tryouts because you need more fields to get all the age ranges in within 2 hours and have a quality tryout. I would say back in the day we averaged 4/5 people for each age range to work the tryout and had about 3 or 4 people working the registration table.

As an organization we started talking about tryouts in late June early July to make sure they went off as planned so as I stated in my other post tryouts start much earlier than August.

Last edited: