Umpires, you make thr call! This is a tricky one

Reaction score
Set the scene:
R1 on 3rd
B1 at plate
Pitcher throws it to the backstop
Catcher retrieves ball as R1 approaches plate
Catcher flips to pitcher who fumbles with the ball a bit
Pitcher pins ball to outside the of the glove and applies tag to runner who has slid in 2 inches from the plate.
Runner and pitcher do not move and ball is pinned with ope. Hand to the outside of the closed glove which is laying on R1 foot. Whats the call

sftball follower

Reaction score
fielder must have possession of the ball in the glove when tag is applied OR tag runner with the ball in open hand. Sounds like runner should be safe in above instance assuming runner did touch plate.

Last edited:

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
Safe. Since the fielder has the ball outside the glove, the ball must touch the runner, not the glove then the ball.

gcg3refs

Reaction score
Runner is out- if the ball was not bobbled and tag was made prior to runner getting to the base

FastBat

Reaction score
What happens next? I think the play is still going?

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that I read an official interpretation on this year's ago, but no luck finding it (so far).

My recollection is that once the glove and ball are brought together, you have one big glove/ball combo that can be used to effect a tag.

Think about this...suppose the fielder is holding the ball in the bare hand. She brings her hands together such that the ball is inside the glove's pocket, but the glove is not holding the ball, the bare hand is.

If this fielder tagged the runner with the backside of the glove (with hands together) I'd have an out. Note that the ball never touched the runner, and the ball wasn't being held by the glove itself.

Reaction score
What happens next? I think the play is still going?

What happened next was the umpire not calling anything as the girls did not move for 4 or 5 seconds, then the offensive coaches screamef for the girl to touch the plate, she slid her foot the last 2 inches and she was called safe. Looking for official ruling because i called her safe, and the UIC for the organization disagrees so i wanted to know an official rule.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that I read an official interpretation on this year's ago, but no luck finding it (so far).

My recollection is that once the glove and ball are brought together, you have one big glove/ball combo that can be used to effect a tag.

Think about this...suppose the fielder is holding the ball in the bare hand. She brings her hands together such that the ball is inside the glove's pocket, but the glove is not holding the ball, the bare hand is.

If this fielder tagged the runner with the backside of the glove (with hands together) I'd have an out. Note that the ball never touched the runner, and the ball wasn't being held by the glove itself.

To me the HUGE difference is ball is inside the glove in the hand. That makes it 1 unit. Outside the glove is not imo. Thats why im trying to find a governing body answer

daboss

Reaction score
BretMan2 is correct as far as I know but the reasoning I have is a little different. Perhaps my understanding will help him find the example of the rule he's looking for.

To my weak knowledge of the rules, the glove is an "extension" of the hand and therefore to be considered the same as the hand in most instances. The key to this scenario with this in mind is "control." If both bare hands were being used to hold/protect the ball the runner would be out as long as the defensive player had control when applying the tag. Since the glove is an extension of the hand it makes no difference that the glove was closed. In a hand, back of hand, held in a hand and protected with a fist against the hand results in the same call as long as there is control.

You want to get into a real "debate", have a girl collect a throw and use a swipe tag with her glove while holding the ball in her bare hand in ready to throw it to another base! This bang bang play scenario resulted in the umpire not seeing the ball and because of the continuance of play didn't get the chance to order the defensive player to "show me the ball." Everyone else saw it except the man that matters. Game-ending double play awarded.