Umpiring can't find it until 4th

Eastside

Reaction score
Ok. Here is my rant. Championship game. 16U. Pitcher is a solid D1 pitcher (HS And College). Inning #1 first pitch right down the middle just below belt...."ball" 85% first pitch strike history. Pitch #2 pops the mitt catcher doesn't move set up directly behind plate..."ball" coach asks where is it. Umpire shakes his head. After 33 pitches and 2 runs 4 walks. Inning 2...same thing 40 pitches this inning. Then inning 3 or 4 umpire calling at the ankles are strikes and balls at eye level are strikes, but right over plate down the middle "ball". Inning five things become normal. My rant is...please have an umpire ready for the big game especially the plate guy, have him rested and have him know the game and ready for a 60mph fast ball-it is clear this guy was flinching and blinking. The game was much faster than he was, way above his level. Totally took the skill out of the championship game.

Rdsherman5

Reaction score
"...first pitch right down the middle just below belt..." does not sound like a solid D-I college level pitcher.
"...first pitch knee high and just off the outside corner of the plate..." does sound like a solid D-I college level pitcher.
It is very unusual for an umpire to be incompetent for 4 innings and then competent for 3 innings. Normally they are either good or bad and are pretty consistent about it. [Bad umpires do make a good call once in a while and good umpires do make a bad call once in a while.]

Louuuuu

Reaction score
Being a father of a girl who played for 11 years, and also being an umpire, I need to know "The rest of the story".

Who pee'd in blue's cornflakes before the game started? Like RDSherman said, bad umps don't become good halfway through the game.

FastBat

Reaction score
Ok. Here is my rant. Championship game. 16U. Pitcher is a solid D1 pitcher (HS And College). Inning #1 first pitch right down the middle just below belt...."ball" 85% first pitch strike history. Pitch #2 pops the mitt catcher doesn't move set up directly behind plate..."ball" coach asks where is it. Umpire shakes his head. After 33 pitches and 2 runs 4 walks. Inning 2...same thing 40 pitches this inning. Then inning 3 or 4 umpire calling at the ankles are strikes and balls at eye level are strikes, but right over plate down the middle "ball". Inning five things become normal.

Shouldn't be a problem, sounds like it was the same for both teams. Pitcher's have to find each ump's strike zone and throw it there, each and every game is different.

Balls and strikes are one of those things that just can't be argued, it is whatever the ump says it is.

I would be more unhappy with this situation if the umpire was extremely favorable to one team over another.

Last edited:

Eastside

Reaction score
I was talking to that other guy. I am ranting about an umpire that had NO strike zone at all. Yeah it went both ways but made for a bad championship. 4 innings of D1 level softball and 170 total pitches more walks than all previous 7 games combined. Just bad.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
You'll have that again too..... Her and the catchers job is to find the slot that he's calling and get to that approximate area to try and get some calls regardless of where they are...

Eastside

Reaction score
Ok so i ask an umpire last night and he confirmed that in tournament games as bracket play advances, intensity and level of play increases while umpire quality decreases. Stamina, durability, awareness, visual acuity all decrease because the umpires have been working all weekend and it is just part of it. No umpires want to work one or two games. Uic's don't normally have any fresh umpires come sunday afternoon. So i guess we will have to deal with it. In this case there was no "finding it". There was no strike zone it was random because the ump was fatiqued. A pitcher that throws bbs can't be asked to randomly guess an ankle strike or an eyeball strike then arbitrarily gets a call for a strike in the opposite batters box but doesn't get a call right down the middle. There is no sense in telling me that the pitcher has to figure out a strike zone in this case. There wasn't one. I'm just ranting because we lost and it was partially the umpires lack of freshness that played a part.

Eastside

Reaction score
So with that said any TDS or UIC'S that may read this, instead of having 3 umpires that are are dog tired use two fresh umpires for semis and championship. Makes for better experience and fairness for the players who have worked so hard to make it to the end.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
The funny thing is that some of us don't do weekend tournaments because we don't want to spend every summer weekend at the field. (I did enough of that when my daughter was playing) I've told UIC's that I'll take a "couple" of games, but they're never interested because it's harder to schedule than when you know have a full fleet of Blue's at your disposal.

Eastside

Reaction score
"...first pitch right down the middle just below belt..." does not sound like a solid D-I college level pitcher.
"...first pitch knee high and just off the outside corner of the plate..." does sound like a solid D-I college level pitcher.
Watching some college ball and 13 of the first 14 pitchers are strikes right on the plate. I guess you should apply for these coaches jobs since you clearly know D1 talent should eb throwing strikes to start.

trcyknny7

Reaction score
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 89

manitoudan

Reaction score
^^ Thats some funny stuff right there !!!! Anyway I witnessed a small college ump who refused to call any change a strike this past year . We are throwing a junk baller against a top 10 nationally ranked team on their turf and no matter where our girl threw it ... BALL ..... BALL BALL and we threw the girl because she is a change of pace pitcher . Yes we got pounded .

FastBat

Reaction score
We (12u) could have let your borrow our ump from last weekend, every change up was a strike!