Uneducated Daddy Ball Coach

Converse Kid

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my DD happens to play for a Daddy Ball Coach. It's been very frustrating watching lesser talented kids get playing time due to their friendships with the Coach. I could name a hundred things that I am upset with about this situation but one particular thing stands out. DD, has spent all off season with a hitting/ throwing College Coach who corrected her swing and throwing mechanics. Fast forward to first week of practices, Daddy Coach tells my DD her mechanics are all wrong and he plans on fixing it. This man clearly does not know what he is talking about and my DD does not know how to handle the situation? She wants to tell him where to go and why but doesn't want the risk of being alienated from the team. How should she handle the situation? Damn shame the schools let the uneducated, egotistical people coach...

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you are the parent paying for this instruction, and obviously you dont want it unraveled, i would make a call or stop by practice and have a conversation with that coach.

fastjay

Reaction score
start drinking the school kool aid. she will have many bosses she won't like in life. this is a great warm-up.

spartansd

Reaction score
My biggest issue with HS ball is not our coach she is solid. The issue is most of our team is bad and then our competition is bad.

So my DD's have to work hard to not regress.

Coach has my DD spending time coaching at times because many on the team are so far behind. She enjoys it but her personal playing skills suffer from the lack of hard reps.

We have zero pitching. My DD has pitched at times which is the first time in her life.

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my DD happens to play for a Daddy Ball Coach. It's been very frustrating watching lesser talented kids get playing time due to their friendships with the Coach. I could name a hundred things that I am upset with about this situation but one particular thing stands out. DD, has spent all off season with a hitting/ throwing College Coach who corrected her swing and throwing mechanics. Fast forward to first week of practices, Daddy Coach tells my DD her mechanics are all wrong and he plans on fixing it. This man clearly does not know what he is talking about and my DD does not know how to handle the situation? She wants to tell him where to go and why but doesn't want the risk of being alienated from the team. How should she handle the situation? Damn shame the schools let the uneducated, egotistical people coach...

Does the coach know that your DD is getting instruction from an outside source? If not, have your DD tell him and that if he has an issue with the technique, then have him call the instructor. A lot of HS coaches, once they know that a kid is getting outside training, with take a hands-off approach unless they see something very, very wrong.

If he does know, then your DD will have to "Act like" she is following the bumbling coach's advice but continue to work on the proper technique after-hours, away from the HS coach. Once the coach sees her in action using the proper technique, then he will have nothing to say.

Last edited:

daboss

Reaction score
I cannot stress enough for parents to do their homework before agreeing to play for a travel team. If the thread is targeted at a travel ball coaching staff then take the bull by the horns and approach the coach privately and make your case to them just as HITTER suggests.

On that same train of thought, always know when this option is taken away from you (school or LL/Rec) that you more than likely end up with a coach described in the thread opener. Many schools are still behind the times and/or have agreements with teacher unions to allow less qualified individuals run programs. Rec and Little League coaches in many cases are simply those that have some spare time while other parents can't do. I suggest if you are experiencing something so blatant at school you begin the climb across the AD and onwards till you get to the Board of Education. Just a warning, once you start this climb you need to know there's a good chance your daughter will be dealing with and suffering the consequences from your journey. Tip #2; if the coach in question has been there more than 1 season they probably have dealt with the complaining before by other parents. You'll need to decide if it's worth it or convince your daughter to roll with the punches and have fun with her friends. Humor them if you will.

If your issue is with a Rec coach, there's a distinct chance the only reason the team exists is because a daddy is trying to give his daughter some or any playing time due to issues we can't do anything about. Talk to him about her training away from his team and ask that he leave her to try and improve her skills being taught by the private instructor. Be open and honest but remember, here's a daddy ball coach doing things selfishly. Don't expect a parade in your honor afterwards. He'll have his own ego mountain to climb. The rare few that really don't know will gladly back off and some may ask your daughter to show everyone what she's learned in an effort to help the entire team.

Remember; we are banking what your daughter is learning is correct. Just because she's getting instruction from a college caliper coach doesn't mean its 100% correct. The title doesn't mean they couldn't be teaching something wrong. How good are the hitters from that school? Again, do your homework.

Converse Kid

Reaction score
This is a school ball Coach who during most practices and especially games whose main advice to players is: " Come on, you can do it" "Good Eye" "Be a hitter" etc... Obviously, he tried to work on some basic softball mechanics in the off season that he must have learned from watching The Bad News Bears. His Main goal is for his DD and her friends playing time. Most parents (besides his DD's friends) feel his DD runs the team.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Converse ,Thought you were going after your coachs intelligence there for a minute.Dosnt matter if its HS ball or Travel these issues come up.At least in travel you go somewhere else if you've talked to the coach and they want to change her swing drastically and her hitting coach is reputable. In HS you can't move to were there's a good coach typically, so its as said,talk to them tell them your spending the money.If she has success your golden if she struggles and he's left it alone,you may have a problem.Good luck either way.Getting answers and doing your homework on coach's is essential.

Run26

Reaction score

How could a person be this upset already with it only being the 3rd day of organized practice? How are less talented kids getting playing time due to their friendship with the coach? There's 3 feet of snow on the ground. Playing time where?

Are you basing all of this on indoor or what?

Converse Kid

Reaction score
How could a person be this upset already with it only being the 3rd day of organized practice? How are less talented kids getting playing time due to their friendship with the coach? There's 3 feet of snow on the ground. Playing time where?

Are you basing all of this on indoor or what?

This was something we lived with all last season when DD was an 8th grader. Was excited for JV, playing for a different Coach until said person somehow miraculously was promoted to JV. Not saying that the assistant principle's relationship with Coach or his DD's apparent lack of skills had anything to do with the decision...

tngal01

Reaction score
Keep taking lessons and just have her be respectful and say ok. I would also have "her" let the Coach know she's working with an instructor elsewhere. If he's smart, he will see the results and let her perform. Causing any drama or issues will just make things worse. Remember it's high school ball and let her enjoy the school spirit and have fun. Travel ball is where her hard work will really show and pay off. That's where she will get the best competition and showcase. It's tough to take a back seat, but school ball is a very different game than travel. You've got a long road ahead, so try to breathe and enjoy the time because it flies by!

Dawgsdad

Reaction score
Well i have seen my DD middle school team practice indoors. Idc if it was outside! More than a handful need alot of work and with the short amount of time the coaches have, not good! My DD plays travel ball also and is frustrated by the talent on the team. The main problem is no tryouts and so now all 20 are on the team. Probably 6-7 have enough talent to be there. We understand you get what you get in school ball but lets at least give the girls a fighting chance. Making 2 teams, no way!!! Not enough pitchers for one and definitely not the talent to spread around. So we just look at it as pre season for travel ball.

QUOTE=Run26;32045]How could a person be this upset already with it only being the 3rd day of organized practice? How are less talented kids getting playing time due to their friendship with the coach? There's 3 feet of snow on the ground. Playing time where?

Are you basing all of this on indoor or what?[/QUOTE]

Run26

Reaction score
I must be getting old. Are parents now attending MS and HS indoor practices? Man I hope not. Let them be kids during this quick passing 2 months of ball. So what if the MS team is terrible. Use it as an opportunity to have your daughter show some of the more challenged kids how to do it properly.

When my kids played MS ball we were lucky to have enough to field a team. Just think about how good they could possibly be if all 20 stick together and get better through HS. All of you/us need to try and sit back and watch your kids for what it is. I'm telling you now it goes by WAY too fast and one of these days you'll be missing those horribly terrific 2 hour windows.

initfor51

Reaction score
I told my travel team last Sunday at our last practice until high school is over to not make waves. Go out there and perform your best. If they want to correct something, smile and nod. If you are doing awesome-they won't care because you are getting them wins.

This only will last a couple of months and then the travel team fun starts. If she is truly a good player, she will be able to adapt to the current situation. Keep her working on the right skills in the mean time.

Don't allow you or your DD to get trapped in the political mess that can be high school softball. Smile, play, and move on.This could be a long 4 years for you so just pace yourself.

Dawgsdad

Reaction score
Some do attend MS ball and socialize but i was asked to help since they have too many. And no, this entire group has no chance of making it in a high school program as a legit team.

I must be getting old. Are parents now attending MS and HS indoor practices? Man I hope not. Let them be kids during this quick passing 2 months of ball. So what if the MS team is terrible. Use it as an opportunity to have your daughter show some of the more challenged kids how to do it properly.

When my kids played MS ball we were lucky to have enough to field a team. Just think about how good they could possibly be if all 20 stick together and get better through HS. All of you/us need to try and sit back and watch your kids for what it is. I'm telling you now it goes by WAY too fast and one of these days you'll be missing those horribly terrific 2 hour windows.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
One thing I have learned over the years is this...If a player is a "true talent" they will not be any less of a talent because they played in HS or listened to their High School coach...

Last edited:

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
One more little tidbit.........If your DD can hit, the coach will find a spot in the line-up for her, regardless of what grade she is in. He needs runs to win and you need hits to get those runners on base and around to score.

FastBat

Reaction score
has spent all off season with a hitting/ throwing College Coach who corrected her swing and throwing mechanics. Fast forward to first week of practices, Daddy Coach tells my DD her mechanics are all wrong and he plans on fixing it.

Ouch, so painful to hear. I wish I had some good advice, all I can say is stay strong and good luck!