Hitting and Hitters Discussion Use of a "baseball swing" in fastpitch?

CMMom1740

Reaction score
My daughter is a second year 12U player, and has just finished trying out for travel teams. I got feedback from the coach of a team she tried out for, but did not make, and it included the following statement:

"I am worried about her hitting mechanics, it appears she has been taught the typical power baseball swing, which doesn't really translate to softball in my opinion. I bet she crushes the slower pitchers. I feel she might struggle with the faster pitchers we will be seeing."

Now, I am not an expert on hitting mechanics. At all. Her hitting coach says he's making too big of a deal of it, and there is nothing wrong with her swing. From a cursory examination of what's on the Internet, it looks as though the use of "baseball swings" is controversial.

The hitting coach for the team she did wind up making did not agree that she was using a "baseball swing," but agreed that she will have trouble hitting off faster pitchers because of the mechanics of her swing ("long" to the pitch vs. "short") and holding her bat horizontally vs. at an angle. He suggested bringing her elbow in so that her arm is more compact and using more of a hip rotation to generate power.

Although she's been playing rec for years, this is the first critique of this sort we've heard, so we want to do the right thing to help her improve as she ages.

Can anyone offer an opinion on this "baseball swing" issue and whether you feel we need to start over from scratch with her swing? See attached photos of her swing.

Attachments

• Swing Analysis.jpg
    Swing Analysis.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

BouldersDad

Reaction score
It's not a softball or baseball swing that is making your daughter slow to contact on faster pitching it's bat drag or lag. Her rear elbow is leading her back hand. She is dropping and loading her back Hand trying to push the barrel thru the zone instead of pulling front elbow and turning the back hand to achieve a barrel turn. It's pretty clear in the second pic what she is doing. If the travel coach saw these pics and diddnt pick up on that easy fix he probably should not be talking to anyone about their swing. Have her do high T to correct this issue. Pretty simple fix.

Tim Duncan

CMMom1740

Reaction score
Thanks. Her private hitting coach also told me that Frame 2 is what needs the work. The travel coach didn't see the pics. What is "high T?" Sorry, I'm just getting up to speed on the technical stuff.

BouldersDad

Reaction score
Your hi will know this I'm sure but place a T on a bucket where the ball is just about at her Brest bone level have her swing thru slowly......... Can't say this enough, slowly. Pulling front elbow and keeping her back hand above the ball. Turning the barrel getting her hands thru the ball to proper extension. You should be hitting line drives not pop ups or down on the ball.

Tim

CMMom1740

Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks and I will definitely pass that along.

DynastyFastpitch

Reaction score
You might even want to put a "mini" bat in her lead arm and do one arm drills. Also, don't put that back elbow in, you lose power that way. Tim is an excellent hitting coach in the Dayton area. I suggest booking a lesson with him. If you ever go through the Springfield area in southwest ohio, let me know, I can show you a few things. Best of luck!

CoachB25

Reaction score
There is no difference between a baseball and softball swing. That "analysis" simply is outdated. Efficient hitters swing with a high level swing that is repeatable and adjustable. I think Hitter has a good argument that the bodies are different and so, video between a MLB Hitter and a Pro Fastpitch Hitter might not match up exactly BUT I'd suggest that athletically and mechanics wise, a young lady can learn to be very close to what some gurus call a MLB Swing. My dd grew up hitting in cages with the boys as I was the varsity head coach of my high school. When we had "advanced hitting camps" where hitters were paired up per ability, she always matched the best boys. Meaning, hitting the FB and curve off of a machine and where the FB was always ramped up. That swing enabled her to be 1st Team All State in our state's largest division at that time and then a 2 time D-II All American. BTW, I got a good laugh when I read the OP and the comment about her swing might give her power. So, this coach had a problem with power? LOL My dd hit 50 bombs in college with what he would probably call a baseball swing. Move on and be glad you can.

Darrell

FastBat

Reaction score
/\/\/\/\ I agree! There is no real difference between a baseball and softball swing. The plane of the ball differ's to the batter, as the pitch is delivered.

WalkOffHR

Reaction score
Sounds like a response from a 12 U coach who is pretending to know more than they really do about hitting. Be glad she didn't make that team and keep working hard on that "baseball" swing!

lewam3

Reaction score
A coach that does not take a player because he is concerned about her batting mechanics is a coach that obviously had no plans on "coaching". This other team and coach is not the team that you want your young daughter to play on anyways. Be thankful.

CoachTEA

Reaction score
It's not a softball or baseball swing that is making your daughter slow to contact on faster pitching it's bat drag or lag. Her rear elbow is leading her back hand. She is dropping and loading her back Hand trying to push the barrel thru the zone instead of pulling front elbow and turning the back hand to achieve a barrel turn. It's pretty clear in the second pic what she is doing. If the travel coach saw these pics and diddnt pick up on that easy fix he probably should not be talking to anyone about their swing. Have her do high T to correct this issue. Pretty simple fix.

Tim Duncan

Boulders Dad is spot on, per usual, with his assessment. This is the reason he has developed a number of great hitters; I know because I have one on my 16u team (and she has already given a verbal commitment to a college). I am not a hitting coach and it takes someone with the right eye and experience to truly develop a hitter which is why I rely on folks like Tim Duncan, Mary Ellen Bonner, Bob Burlew, etc. I know there are negative remarks directed at the coach that didn't make her an offer, but I do not know the plans or status of that team. At my level of play and competition, I don't have time for "projects" but at 12u I was willing to take on a kid who needed some work so it really depends on his station and plans. You are taking the right path and seeking out experts and as it has been said to me on many occasions; "One door closes and another one opens" . I wish the very best in finding the "right" coach and team for your DD.

BouldersDad

Reaction score
Boulders Dad is spot on, per usual, with his assessment. This is the reason he has developed a number of great hitters; I know because I have one on my 16u team (and she has already given a verbal commitment to a college). I am not a hitting coach and it takes someone with the right eye and experience to truly develop a hitter which is why I rely on folks like Tim Duncan, Mary Ellen Bonner, Bob Burlew, etc. I know there are negative remarks directed at the coach that didn't make her an offer, but I do not know the plans or status of that team. At my level of play and competition, I don't have time for "projects" but at 12u I was willing to take on a kid who needed some work so it really depends on his station and plans. You are taking the right path and seeking out experts and as it has been said to me on many occasions; "One door closes and another one opens" . I wish the very best in finding the "right" coach and team for your DD.

Coach thank you for the props.

Tim

FastBat

Reaction score
"One door closes and another one opens".

Truth!

By now, I have learned, this is my dd's journey and I just sit back and enjoy it. It's about the journey, not the destination! Getting rejected or accepted is just a part of life and softball.

JMHO- Now that I look at the pics, her front arm is straight, and her back arm should be punching (or wrist before elbow). And she should not take her hands to the ball, rather she should bend at the waist, arms are the same no matter where the ball is located (during contact), high or low. Her legs look good.

straightleg

Reaction score
My daughter is a second year 12U player, and has just finished trying out for travel teams. I got feedback from the coach of a team she tried out for, but did not make, and it included the following statement:

"I am worried about her hitting mechanics, it appears she has been taught the typical power baseball swing, which doesn't really translate to softball in my opinion. I bet she crushes the slower pitchers. I feel she might struggle with the faster pitchers we will be seeing."

Now, I am not an expert on hitting mechanics. At all. Her hitting coach says he's making too big of a deal of it, and there is nothing wrong with her swing. From a cursory examination of what's on the Internet, it looks as though the use of "baseball swings" is controversial.

The hitting coach for the team she did wind up making did not agree that she was using a "baseball swing," but agreed that she will have trouble hitting off faster pitchers because of the mechanics of her swing ("long" to the pitch vs. "short") and holding her bat horizontally vs. at an angle. He suggested bringing her elbow in so that her arm is more compact and using more of a hip rotation to generate power.

Although she's been playing rec for years, this is the first critique of this sort we've heard, so we want to do the right thing to help her improve as she ages.

Can anyone offer an opinion on this "baseball swing" issue and whether you feel we need to start over from scratch with her swing? See attached photos of her swing.

Just a thought.
A flat bat will create a circular swing.
You can start with a flat bat, but it should get taller as you get through the swing to help you release the bat head underneath.
Another way would be just to start with a taller bat and don't flatten, drop the barrel flat when swung.
That will also help cure bat drag

Straightleg

manitoudan

Reaction score
Hey Gerry , Can you explain your statement about the bat getting taller ? I like to think I know at least some about hitting and I'm not really following you . THANKS .. Dan

straightleg

Reaction score
His bat is kinda flat feeling the hands/wrists then he stands the bat up tall before he starts the swing

Heres another, feel the wrists, flat bat, stand it up then go

Bat goes flat some then, he stands it up on go.

Standing the bat up will help you release the bat head underneath. A more straight through the ball..... bat path

Gerry

Last edited: