Catching and Catchers discussion Velcro Leg Guards for Catchers?

My DD recently used a pair of leg guards that were attached by using velcro rather than the hook and ring. She really liked these (quick on and quick off). I can't find these anywhere and I can't remember the manufacturer. Has anybody used this type before? Have you had good results with them. Who all makes them.

My younger used to use them when she was younger, 10U - 12U. but have not found them in the larger sizes.
Ours came in a kit from Dicks. where it was all the pieces, mask, chest protector and shin guards all together.

DD had a pair of Nike shin guards at 10U that used velcro fasteners. They were easier & quicker for her to take on & off, and they stayed latched for the entire inning. She has always had problems with the traditional hook & loops coming unfastened during innings. The velcro only lasted for the one summer though, I probably could have replaced it, but she outgrew those and we haven't found any in larger sizes. I believe we purchased the original guards at Sports Authority in Columbus.

That's the problem. The ones she used were at the limit in size, really too small. I told her they discontinued them and she has to go with the hook and ring type.

Most of the problem with the hook and loops the girls hook them up wrong. Had an old catcher show me to slide the hook under the loop instead of just hooking them on the outside. Not a 100% but much better if they are under the loops.

i don't think velcro leg guards would be very reliable b/c velcro can eventually wear out and they stick to grass and any other type of stufgetting then all messy.....i love my hook leg guards....most gurls hook them on the outsides of their legs....ive always found it ten times easier and faster to hook them on the inside.

Yes hooking them on the inside is quicker but my dd catching coach forbid her from doing them because of the possiblity of getting cut up from the hook. Just something to think about.

As far as velcro guards. I have never seen them but that sounds pretty nice probably better to adjust and keep adjusted.

Not to hard to make your own. Head to JoAnn's and purchase the heavier quality velcro and black elastic. You will just need to hand sew with apholstry thread. Quick, easy, and cheap to replace.

Just a thought.

Brandallee3 said:
Yes hooking them on the inside is quicker but my dd catching coach forbid her from doing them because of the possiblity of getting cut up from the hook. Just something to think about.

As far as velcro guards. I have never seen them but that sounds pretty nice probably better to adjust and keep adjusted.

the most it does to me is it leaves imprints but that is partly b/c their a little smalll....ive never had a real problem w/ them before.

I don't mean on the inside of the legs, saw a girl actually hook her legs trying to run at 10u with that setup.
You want the clips on the outside, but hooking them up from under the loops instead of over the tops.

SBmomma96~I did understand your post. I was quoting luv2catch. She mentioned that she hooks them on the inside.

We have not had too many problems with ours coming unhooked. My daughter is always messing with them but that is by choice and I think out of habit. But hers usually stayed hooked through the whole inning. Our biggest problem is that her Easton youths are getting a little small and the intermediate are HUGE! I's like to see what 12-14 year olds they are sizing these off of. They are actually a little large on me!

Sorry read it wrong. I have run into the same situation. ?Also my dd who is now 13 uses what they call the lobster legs. they have 1 or 2 of the extra pads above the knees to protect the thighs. ?One foul tip off the thigh and she fell in love the extra pads.
My dd blows the curve on the 12 to 14 sizing. She can wear the adult size as far as length, but her legs are so skinny she has to wear her knee sliders to keep them tight enough around her legs. She's 5-9 and all of 106 lbs. Also with some of the pitchers she has to catch having a little extra padding when blocking really helps. The velcro closures are nice but as said earlier they have to be kept clean.

Check with Mike Darnel @ Dumonts (Canton) or softball sales on line...