verification

TClarkson

Reaction score
In all my years of coaching this was a first: Batter had 2 strikes on her, swung and missed a pitch for third strike that ended up hitting her in the ribs. Ruled Dead Ball 3rd Strike batter is out.

Since I've never seen this before wanted to verify this was correct call.

coachtomv

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
In all my years of coaching this was a first: Batter had 2 strikes on her, swung and missed a pitch for third strike that ended up hitting her in the ribs. Ruled Dead Ball 3rd Strike batter is out.

Since I've never seen this before wanted to verify this was correct call.

If it hit her in the batters box its a HBP, if she was over the plate then its a dead ball strike and on 3 she is out.

Batter owns the box, pitcher owns the plate. My take.

OhPhat

Reaction score
I believe a swing is a swing regardless of where the ball is located thus it's strike three and an out. It's rules a dead ball because is did contact the batter no different then if it were to contact the batter if she had not taken a swing.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Anytime a batter swings at a pitch, but misses it, it is a strike.

Anytime a pitch touches a batter it is a dead ball.

Put the two together...and if it is the third strike, the batter is out!

FastBat

Reaction score
...swung and missed a pitch...ended up hitting her in the ribs.

Gee...must have been a heck of a curve from a lefty??? I've never seen that and I've watched a lot of softball.

coachtomv

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Anytime a batter swings at a pitch, but misses it, it is a strike.

Anytime a pitch touches a batter it is a dead ball.

Put the two together...and if it is the third strike, the batter is out!

Another great reason to make sure your hitters turn away from a pitch that's going to hit them. Turn toward and bat goes foreword, possible strike, not to mention ball to the face maybe.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

crystlemc

Reaction score
DD got hit in the elbow guard, fully in the batters box last night and umpire said since she moved her front elbow too initiate her swing, even though she stopped, she was not to be awarded first. She said any movement negates being hit, regardless of where in the box the hbp occurred.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
DD got hit in the elbow guard, fully in the batters box last night and umpire said since she moved her front elbow too initiate her swing, even though she stopped, she was not to be awarded first. She said any movement negates being hit, regardless of where in the box the hbp occurred.

That's kind of a shakey explanation on a hit by pitch. Any movement? What if the movement is the batter jumping backwards, trying to get out of the way?

I've seen plenty of batters "stick out an elbow", moving it into a position where they would not have been hit if they hadn't stuck it out there. If the umpire judges that the batter purposely moved into the path of the ball to be hit, then he should not award the base.