Wednesday Fun...What is your #1 pet peeve in select softball?

Continuing the Wednesday Fun tradition (if you can call it that after two weeks), please list your number 1 pet peeve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: Wednesday Fun...What is you #1 pet peeve in select softball?

We share a brain. I hate seeing parents (or siblings) in the dugout, or coaching from the sidelines. Let the coaches do their job (coaching) and you do yours (observing). There may be a good reason why your kid is doing something other than what you think is "right" - trust your coach to make the decisions. If he's wrong, he's wrong.

I hade the girls cheers. What age do they grow out of it?

I hade the girls cheers. What age do they grow out of it?

Ooh. That too. But I saw a lot of the same stuff in the regionals on ESPN. So my guess is that some don't. Cheering = okay. Singing and squealing = annoying. :)

My #1 has always been a strike out looking.

Get your hacks, drive your pitch, and expand your zone with 2 strikes!

lack of simple fundamentals beginning at the 14u age group. Like a SS that won't cover 2nd on a steal attempt , or a 2nd baseman that doesn't cover 1st on a bunt. Pitchers that fail to back up a base on a throw from the OF . just simple stuff that should be 2nd nature by 14u. I know it shouldn't but that sorta stuff makes me so mad I usually take a long walk away from the field.

When umpires refuse to get help from their partner on a questionable call

Ooh. That too. But I saw a lot of the same stuff in the regionals on ESPN. So my guess is that some don't. Cheering = okay. Singing and squealing = annoying. :)

Yeah, I guess I should clarify. Cheering on your team is fine. It is just the singing and dancing I mind. Pay attention to the game. At least I dont hear the same stuff we did in Indiana. The fielders kept repeating "Batter" in the most obnoxious voice I could ever imagine. It still gives me cold sweats at night almost 3 weeks after the tournament.

Parents/Coaches who have yelling matches with their DD's mid game.

Standing in the warmup circle and not timing up the pitcher with full swings. Instead they do that half speed break-your-wrist-at-the-bellybutton ****. All while giggling with their teammates who are in the dugout. Please concentrate on the task at hand. Otherwise don't cry when you strike out swining after the ball is in the catchers mitt.

The idiot parents that yell you need to see her three more years! No I don't, mine graduated..... :)

forgot a MAJOR ONE : girls who smack their back with their warmup swings . I have to fight the urge to grap the bat away from them . drives me crazy

Parents or coaches who think that if they argue long enough or loud enough, that the ump will change the call. Does this EVER work?

Coaches that do not know the rules of the game or understand them and try to argue their case with blue repeatedly during a 60 minute drop dead game.

18 year old games at 8AM................. Come on these kids for the most part dont start breathing until noon.

Squeezing my pitchers like they were a orange. Blue thats why she paid for instruction for all those years to have that much movement. Not to throw it down the heart of the plate to make your calls easier.

Tim

Standing in the warmup circle and not timing up the pitcher with full swings. Instead they do that half speed break-your-wrist-at-the-bellybutton ****. All while giggling with their teammates who are in the dugout. Please concentrate on the task at hand. Otherwise don't cry when you strike out swining after the ball is in the catchers mitt.

Amen, this one really gets me especially when the pitcher is a little slower and the girls assume I don't need to time her. This is all I preach to my team when they walk to the on deck circle. There is a great clip that straightleg posted of two college girls, one hitting and the other one in the back ground in the on deck circle. I thought it was a mirror at first because the on deck girl and the batter were in perfect rhythm.

Parents who want to discuss their issues with the head coach, by talking to the assistant coaches. If you have something you're not happy with, take it to the person in charge. If you're going to the asisstants, you're just whining.

"half speed break-your-wrist-at-the-bellybutton ****" :lmao: LOL! I love that description! My 18 yr. old son can imitate that, and it's absolutely hilarious!

* Referring to the pitcher's plate/circle as "the mound". ??? Is this baseball?
* Using a combo orange/white first base in lieu of teaching base running skills.
* Spending $300+ on a bat as a shortcut around hitting lessons.
* Negative cheering (jeering).
* Teams who do not cheer from the dugout! :D (fastpitch should be FUN!) :yahoo:

Squeezing my pitchers like they were a orange. Blue thats why she paid for instruction for all those years to have that much movement. Not to throw it down the heart of the plate to make your calls easier.Tim
Amen Brother

forgot a MAJOR ONE : girls who smack their back with their warmup swings . I have to fight the urge to grap the bat away from them . drives me crazy

Oh yes! I feel that crunch to the bone every time they do it!