What happened to the strike zone?

cjs

Reaction score
While watching the WCWS so far, I am amazed at how tight the strike zone is being called, even the little k-zone thing ESPN puts on the screen has the top of the strike zone at the hitters waist, did I miss a rule change? All the talk about how hitting is catching up with pitching is direct result of the umpires forcing pitchers to throw into this new shrunken strike zone. Any thoughts on why they would do this? As a pitchers parent I think it stinks.....

manitoudan

Reaction score
Old boy calling the LSU- Mich has a rather large zone . At least for Mich he does . in that last inning he forced LSU to swing at pitches up and away and the girl still hit it .

cjs

Reaction score
The zone in the Florida/Auburn game was small and you could see it was effecting both the pitchers

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
The zone in the Florida/Auburn game was small and you could see it was effecting both the pitchers

Having seen several games the past few days the umpiring in general seems to be inconsistent. The Florida pitcher gave the HP ump some looks like are you kidding me as the game went on.

fpitchdad

Reaction score
Its part of the game and can't be used as an excuse. They have to deal with it. Zone does seem rather tight from my house as well. I can't believe I'm about to say this but GO BLUE.

DougA10

Reaction score
As the strike zone gets smaller, the number of pitchers getting line drived will go up.

Its all about increasing the offense.

JoeA1010

Reaction score
College umpires got a directive this year to call the plate, not their idea of the plate. As we saw tonight on the Florida-Michigan game, they still call strikes outside the zone. The more inexperienced umps still call the plate plus however many inches off the plate. I think it's a welcome change that hitters don't have to try to reach out to hit a ball six inches off the plate because they are afraid it will be called a strike.

bjbkar

Reaction score
I think small strike zones are great. Who wants to see a 1-0 game?

fpitchdad

Reaction score
I think small strike zones are great. Who wants to see a 1-0 game?
A Great Great 1-0 game last night in WCWS. It was exciting till the end. Thought the strike zone was very good both ways. As far as small strike zones go, thats just stupid... With small strike zones, balls will have a greater chance of getting line drived up the middle to much and put pitchers at more risk of taking a shot to the body or even worse the face, especially bad for those 99.9% of college pitchers that don't wear a mask. I for one love a 1-0 game. Hitters and hitters parents usually don't like 1-0 games.....hmmmm, maybe they should work a little harder.....:)

snoman76

Reaction score
I love the low scoring games..
I'm not sure about the strike zone though. Middle in is good but they seem to be calling the outside pitch.. Maybe the camera makes it look more outside than it is but I don't see how the ball is crossing the plate at all based off where the catcher is catching it. Some of them are close, yes, but some appear to be in the other batters box. Again, maybe its the camera angle but they sure look way outside.

Bink44

Reaction score
Good Grief... Tonight's ump is giving the Flooded Ohio River calls...lol

Bink44

Reaction score
Must be an SEC ump because the zone has suddenly shrunk in the bottom half of the inning!

JoeA1010

Reaction score
This ump has been inconsistent. The one called strike early in the game on a ball that was at least six inches outside was pathetic. A lot of softball umps give this call and it ruins the game.

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
This ump has been inconsistent. The one called strike early in the game on a ball that was at least six inches outside was pathetic. A lot of softball umps give this call and it ruins the game.

Was at a high school game couple nights ago and they called the river away all night long consistently. Amazing part was one coach saw it and worked his pitchers curve ball and other coach never noticed.

brownsfan

Reaction score
I really don't care about the strike IF the upire is being consistent.

If it's a small strike zone, then it's up to the pitcher to throw harder AND tighten up the spin to get later and sharper break to get the call.

If it's a larger strike zone, then it's up to the batter to expand their hitting zone. If I recall correctly, I saw an LSU batter stand on a far end of the batters box daring an outside pitch to be thrown. When thrown, she hits it HARD. It's obvious she worked on that off the tee, then live pitching.

Bink44

Reaction score
I agree the river can be acceptable if consistent...make the adjustment and go The flooded river is tough though, as I do not like my hitters to have to chase balls at the arm pits.