what is the actual rule for batting out of order.

taymakda

Reaction score
Ran into 2 instances during school ball and got 2 different answers from umpires. First time score keeper called it out before batter took a pitch so there was no actual infraction. Umpire told keeper that if they waited for one pitch to be thrown batter would then be called out. Happened again a couple games later. This time keeper waited for one pitch to be thrown and then informed umpire. Umpire then had the batter who was supposed to hit come to plate and take over that count. I've tried reading the rules and they are all over the place. What happened to once batter batted out of order they were out

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
The rule is kind of "all over the place". That's because it matters when the appeal was made (either before or after the at-bat is completed) and a few other variables. The printed rule itself makes sense, it just might not make sense to someone who hasn't had to deal with all of the "what if" scenarios the rule has to cover.

This has always been the rule: If the batting out of order (BOO) is appealed by the defense BEFORE the at-bat is completed, then you place the proper batter at the plate. The proper batter assumes any ball/strike count accumulated by the improper batter. There is no further penalty.

The only time you get an out for BOO is when it is appealed AFTER the at-bat is completed, but before the next pitch is thrown.

In that case, it is the batter who should have batted that is called out. The at-bat by the improper batter is negated (cancelled and wiped out). The next batter is whoever in the line up follows the improper batter that was called out.

One more note: An appeal by the scorekeeper should NOT be accepted. This must be appealed by either a coach or a player.

Last edited:

reagansdaddy

Reaction score
Bretman - can you clarify your next to last point for me.

Batting order is A, B, C, D

B bats illegally for A. Gets a hit and is called out when the coach appeals prior to the next pitch. The next legal batter would be C. Correct? If they are really screwed up and C bats for A, gets a hit and is called out on appeal, then D would be the next legal batter and B would be skipped completely, correct?

Also, in the above situation, let's say in B's illegal at bat a run scored on a wild pitch. That run counts, correct? What about a run batted in by B's illegal hit?

Thanks so much!!!!

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
When BOO is successfully appealed, it is always the batter who should have batted that is called out. So, in both of your first examples, batter A is called out.

Also when BOO is appealed:

- The at-bat by the improper batter is wiped out, just like it never happened. If they made an out, that out is replaced by the out for BOO. If they are on base, they are pulled off base.

- The next batter is whoever follows the batter that was called out. In both examples, the next batter is B.

- Any advances by runners during the improper at-bat by steal, passed ball, wild pitch, etc. count.

-Any advance due to the batter becoming a batter-runner (hit, walk, hit by pitch, etc) is negated. The runner is returned to their previous base.

- Any outs made by other runners as a result of the batter becoming a batter-runner stand.

I think that covers it all! This is why the BOO rule is so long. It has to cover all of these situations- plus several more.

Last edited:

snoman76

Reaction score
Let me throw one in here... There's A LOT of words above so forgive me if you answered this already.
Batter A should be up but B comes to the plate. B steps in and grounds out, batter C steps in and grounds out , batter D steps in and singles.... Appeal made before next pitch made, Does the BOO still apply?

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
No.

That's as few words as I can use! When a team bats out of order, once the next batter receives a pitch it's too late to appeal. All previous action then becomes legal and legitimate.

In your example, as soon as C received a pitch, C became the legal batter and all action up to that point stands. D followed and that is the correct line up, so no appeal can be made.