What were some of the good/bad tryouts you attended

Due to that thing called work, I was unable to attend any tryouts this past weekend. Heard some were good, some were not. What were some of the good ones? and Bad ones you attended? and why?

Edited:

I agree that you can/should name names. OFC is supposed to help the girls/families with info. So if you had a bad experience, dont be afraid to mention it. Likewise if you had a good one, toot their horn as well.

Its all about the info: Lets get it out there to the kids.

wmorrison... this is a good idea. OFC'rs... let the players and teams know. We (Static) are wanting to make sure we hit a homerun at tryouts and critiquing comes with it! As a staff we are super happy with our layout, timing, and efficiency. Ultimately our program is designed to push and pull the best/worst out of the DD's. Ultimatley it'sour goal to buld a succesful program and tryouts are a major backbone of that success! Can't wait to see the responses.

The best one so far to me has been the SGS Magic. They dont do station work, your DD's age bracket goes to a diamond. The coach picking the team runs their tryout, and they have people not associated with that team hitting ground balls and catching. Former players, ex coaches etc. Then coaches are free to just evaluate. I found it interesting, because every age level seem to run their own version of the tryout, I guess it was just a matter of how the coach wanted to run it, but either way it was pretty cool.

The worst one for me was last year, I am not going to name the organization because I think they were over whelmed. But they had a really big turnout, they ran stations and to be honest by about halfway through nobody even seemed to be paying attention, it was looooooooooong, booooooooooooring. They also timed running speeds in the grass, where the field was uneven and you ran in a straight line the same distance between Home to second, I guess 120'? Not sure why that was, they thought it would give you an accurate Home to second time, but you ran in grass in a straight line on an uneven surface one of the stranger things I have seen. I have actually never been so bored in my life watching softball, sooooooooo much standing around due to the amount of kids.

On a side note, I did see one funny thing there last year, a girl my DD plays with hit this rope right at the girl playing third, the girl sticks her glove out to snag it, the ball pulled her glove off and the glove flew out to the outfield with the ball in it :lmao:

The coach picking the team runs their tryout, and they have people not associated with that team hitting ground balls and catching. Former players, ex coaches etc. Then coaches are free to just evaluate. I found it interesting, because every age level seem to run their own version of the tryout, I guess it was just a matter of how the coach wanted to run it, but either way it was pretty cool.

We were at one yesterday afternoon where they did this. It really allowed the coaches to do nothing but evaluate, and I believe that is a great idea. They also had a rotation for the girls before hitting off of the Jugs machine, where they did some tee work, and then soft toss before ending up against the machine.

I have only been to two tryouts ever (both this week) and both were run very well. Very efficient with plenty of eyes to evaluate. I don't know the rules about naming names so I'll not name either, but the one we went to yesterday really pushed my 10U dd to her limit physically. By the time the regular portion of the tryout had ended the temprature was pushing over 90 and she was just getting started (she's a catcher). The coaches pushed her and she responded.
I really liked how they did that. Yes, it was gut wrentching watching my dd get balls beat at her and fly off of every body part...but she hung tough to the end and I am very grateful the coaches did that because I learned a lot about her yesterday...she may not be the biggest or the fastest but she's as tough as they come.

The lady lasers came to town yesterday and their tryouts were very efficient and productive. this was the first and probably last tryout we will have to attend (i hope).
Kudos to the lady lasers.

DD attended 16U Silver Creek Stars out of Bessemer, PA tryout yesterday. Very well ran tryout. No time to sit around, constant movement. All their coaches 10U through 16U helping out where needed. Very informative about what they expect from their players and families. Covered all the bases on goals for teams. Indoor facility is within walking distance of their fields. After field tryout all the girls walked to the facility for their hitting tryout. Did I mention they have indoor pitching lanes and Jumpstretch?

I would Compare this tryout to a tryout my dd attended for Rampage several years ago ran my Jonie Miller. Both tryouts my dd walked away from tired and knowing that's where she wanted to play.....

I have only been to two tryouts ever (both this week) and both were run very well. Very efficient with plenty of eyes to evaluate. I don't know the rules about naming names so I'll not name either, but the one we went to yesterday really pushed my 10U dd to her limit physically. By the time the regular portion of the tryout had ended the temprature was pushing over 90 and she was just getting started (she's a catcher). The coaches pushed her and she responded.
I really liked how they did that. Yes, it was gut wrentching watching my dd get balls beat at her and fly off of every body part...but she hung tough to the end and I am very grateful the coaches did that because I learned a lot about her yesterday...she may not be the biggest or the fastest but she's as tough as they come.

she's a tough lil baller. Hope she's ok after that workout. I was impressed with her catching abilities. Nice start for someone in the early stages of that very critical position. Tell her nice job and you should be proud.

just askin but, since the original posting are about good AND bad tryouts, why do we know so well the bad tryouts are not to be mentioned but the good ones we get to blast their names all over the place? if it was bad, doesnt everyone deserve a chance to know? and a chance to speak up for their org?

only 2 tryouts this summer, both ran rather smoothly but i liked things about both of them..of course,i am somewhat biased on who i liked the most

We have only attended one this year, Buckeye Heat, with 2 more next weekend. We liked the Heat, the coach was very informative and nice, the girls were nice, very well organized with not a huge turnout, at least yesterday. We're hoping for a good reply, but you never know. I did hear that the Stingrays had a huge turnout yesterday and that it was not a good situation at least to the parents I was talking to.

just askin but, since the original posting are about good AND bad tryouts, why do we know so well the bad tryouts are not to be mentioned but the good ones we get to blast their names all over the place? if it was bad, doesnt everyone deserve a chance to know? and a chance to speak up for their org?

I agree

well i went to a tryout on friday for one of the "big name" teams in ohio and i was amazed! Sure there were alot of girls but wow! it was horrible! you got 4 hit and a bunt, the guy with the gun to get the speed of your throw was also the one cating the ball (he backed off of some of the throws, thus throwing off the speed, while there are about 6 people right next to him just as qualified to hold the gun) and the feilds were bad as well! huge rocks everywhere. and when we got outfeild abot half of the balls accually made it there. For a team with so much hype i really think it should have been better

the worst for us was last year also. Ended up being a daddy ball team. funny thing is that the assistant coach who did not want my dd or another girl on the team ended up quit coaching half way through the season and his dd was moved to a different position. Not hitting tryout this year. Staying with last years team under a new name. coach has no dd on the team and interacts well with the girls. former college player so she understands what it takes to reach the next level. THANK GOODNESS NO MORE DADDY BALL

the worst for us was last year also. Ended up being a daddy ball team. funny thing is that the assistant coach who did not want my dd or another girl on the team ended up quit coaching half way through the season and his dd was moved to a different position. Not hitting tryout this year. Staying with last years team under a new name. coach has no dd on the team and interacts well with the girls. former college player so she understands what it takes to reach the next level. THANK GOODNESS NO MORE DADDY BALL

oh dad ball. happened 2 me twice :(

I will have to say that we went to the stingrays tryouts yesterday for 12u...It was absolutely HORRIBLE!!!! I thought it was poorly run, and I was not impressed with the coaches at all. It was very disappointing!!!

Parents that that were unhappy with tryouts, why? What were you looking for? Give details instead of saying it was bad. What was done that left such a negative feeling. And the ones that were happy, why? What did that team do that impressed you so much. Maybe this should be another thread to help out both sides in the future.

My daughter attended the NKY Bandits tryouts the last 2 weeks and it was an enjoyable experience. The coaches were very helpful and all the players were extremely nice. My daughter enjoyed it so much she wanted to stay for the next session.

I attended the Stingrays tryouts and I have to disagree with wabgz above. I attended the 13/14U and thought it went pretty smooth and organized! I thought it was handled very well especially with the huge turnout.

Went to Stingrays tryouts yesterday too for 14U though. The tryouts were okay except the new coach was at the WS in Myrtle Beach and the old coach was doing the tryouts. If we want to be considered, we have to go again next weekend to tryout for the actual coach. Would have been nice to know that before hand.

Heart of Ohio Rush mixed with Bomber tryouts got a little crazy with infielding. Too many balls being hit and fielded and thrown in all directions--there were several close calls and a few minor hits. The coaches didn't seem to really watch everyone at all of the stations but was overall okay.

Ohio Dragon's '95 (Tim Holland) was run well and seemed thorough and was set up in station format like the other two though not as hectic. They even had water stations set up for the girls because of the heat. That was nice.