whats the low down on high school ball rules?

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok... new to the HS ball and DD is a freshman...

we are supposed to start conditioning next week 3 days a week.... I tried to find info on the OHSAA site but cannot narrow it down. I know some of you experienced OFC'ers would probably be the fastest way to get some answers.

isn't there a 10 day something the team can practice together during this time? (between Sept. 1st and Feb. 23rd)

can someone just simplify this for me and make it simple to understand? what can we do... when can we do it....

(below) I copied this from the HS site but it doesn't say anything about dates between Sept. 1st and Feb. 23rd.

2014-2015 OHSAA Softball Calendar
Aug. 4 - Sept. 1, 2014 Coach No Contact Period
Feb. 23, 2015 First Day of Coaching
Mar. 28 Season Begins
Apr. 20 Non-Interscholastic Competition No Longer Permitted
May 3, 2:00 p.m. Sectional Tournament Draw Date
May 9 - May 16 Sectional Tournament
May 18 - May 23 District Tournament
May 27 - May 30 Regional Tournament
Jun. 4-6 State Tournament
Jun. 13 Season Ends

thanks!

Miller

Reaction score
Best advice. Don't take anyone's word on the rules as gospel. Talk to your AD and make him/her clarify the rules for you.

Kicking wing

Reaction score
I think conditioning is ok just no softball practice.

Last edited:

SOFTBALLS14

Reaction score
Website
www.mvxpress.com
Just an FYI... Ive been doing this awhile......:cool:
Conditioning is ok.....(examples... Lifting, core training, cardio, and stuff like that..) No SB drills by the coaches. Till Feb 23rd. That is when coaching can start for schools and tryouts start.
Summer coaches are no longer aloud to do team coaching or practices & can only do one on one or lessons one on one. No group lessons or team training till school team is out of tourney and released by coach.
I have talked to OHSSA on these points and that is straight from them.
Hope it helps and good luck to you and yours!! :cool:

BA824

Reaction score
Above is correct but High School also allowed to have open gym right now. Girls just do their own thing while coaches can only watch and supervise. No instruction. But under the new individual instruction rule which went in effect last year, coaches can instruct if only 4 players at a time.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
We run conditioning as an open gym for all that want to participate, any sport or non sport kids boys or girls.
not a team practice.this way so no problems with ohsaa

LADY_KNIGHTS

Reaction score
Conditioning of any kind can be going on without any type of restrictions. Softball open gyms can also be going at this time. As of last year coaches are now aloud to give instructions up to four students at one time. This is not 4 athletes per coach...only 4 at one time. So a coach could have 4 athletes from 6-7 then 4 more from 7-8 and so on...but two coaches could not be giving instruction in two separate buildings to two groups of four. Now if a coach wanted to just run a straight open gym and not give instructions...He could have multiple athletes.

Chad Strahler

Reaction score
Seeing how your dd is a freshman. Did she play jr high for this school? And was it a school funded program? Reason I ask that is since she is a freshman and hasn't technically made the team yet anyone can coach her in particular right now because if she wasn't on a school funded 8th grade team then she technically isn't an athlete of any of those coaches by rule yet. As far as the team thing goes everyone on earlier posts are correct.

daboss

Reaction score
Quit worrying about it and have your daughter where she is supposed to be when she is supposed to be there and leave the politics and judgements in the lap of the school officials running the show. The last thing any daughter that's a freshman needs is a parent causing even a ripple in the pool where she's trying to make an impression and be chosen to be a member of the team. Sorry for being so blunt but in some cases the fact you asked the question on here could start some flags being waved that will hurt her efforts and your intelligence. Your efforts for the next 4 years are to know where and when. Leave why and how to the others, swallow your pride, and refrain from speaking outloud while camping out as far away from the dugout as possible during the games. If you can do this for 4 years you may get an "All State" award out of it.

Don't respond to this. Give it 4 years before doing so.

OHsoftball

Reaction score
A bit off topic but topic but just wondering, can jr high kids play varsity ball in ohio? I saw where a 5th grader in KY played for a HS team..

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
OHsoftball

Nope. Other states have different rules and bylaws but Ohio you can only play from your 9th grade on. If by chance you can remember O.J.Mayo he played varsity basketball as an 8th grader in W.V. then moved to Ohio. His senior year he couldn't play in Ohio due to having 4 years played at the varsity level.
For some reason Ohio has tougher rules than most states.

In Tennessee players can play varsity from 7th grade on.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing how your dd is a freshman. Did she play jr high for this school? And was it a school funded program? Reason I ask that is since she is a freshman and hasn't technically made the team yet anyone can coach her in particular right now because if she wasn't on a school funded 8th grade team then she technically isn't an athlete of any of those coaches by rule yet. As far as the team thing goes everyone on earlier posts are correct.

that is a very interesting twist to this..... no we do not have any middle school program.

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
I'll start this out with saying that I an not on OHSAA official. I am not currently a Travel coach. But, I did have a DD who progressed up through the ranks of travel ball and HS ball so I have lived it. (and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express:eek:)

Now onto my point. The OHSAA has a set of rules and policies. We might not like the rules but it is what it is. The rules are meant to protect a student-athlete from the many dangers (physical and other) of scholastic sports. The rules are also meant to make sports even and fair for all student-athletes, no matter which school they attend. An OHSAA rule was implemented because, in the past, someone has tried to "scam" or "game" the system. It might have been families transferring districts to get into a better team, a coach that demands that all of the schools softball players play on his summer team, or that all of a particular team (name a sport) play on the same team during the off-season just with a different coach. Someone has tried to take advantage of the system and thusly, a rule has been made to deter that from happening again.

There are some rules that I scratch my head about and that I do not agree with but for the most part, when you sit back and look at the process as a whole, it is meant to protect the student-athlete and the integrity of inter-scholastic sports. Yes, it is run by administrators, some of which haven't participated in athletics in quite a while, and we see that when rules and policies are implemented. Yes, it is frustrating at times.

Schools are mandated by OHSAA to inform all potential athletes prior to the start of each sports' season of the OHSAA and School eligibility requirements. Schools do a very poor job of doing this. Some schools just hand-out a pamphlet when a potential athlete signs-up for a sport, some hold a meeting with just the athletes and no parents, and some do a great job of having a meeting with athletes and parents and explain the entire process.

Travel coaches..... in general, you are equally ignorant about the OHSAA rules because the majority of you have not coached through the HS years yet. Your DD is just now becoming a 7th, 8th, or 9th grader and no one within the travel organization has bothered to tell the "newbie" about the OHSAA rules. Get on the OHSAA website and read the bylaws and regulations. Get with the older coaches in your organization who have coached girls that have gone through the Jr High and HS age groups and ask them about the rules. Then make a plan so that your players can benefit the most without getting into trouble with the OHSAA rules.

Parents....Be proactive. Get on the OHSAA website and read the bylaws and regulations. Become an informed parent.

I read the Board of Director's Meeting Minutes when they are published and I see where student-athletes are suspended or lose eligibility, or schools have to forfeit games because of a OHSAA rules infraction. Why does this happen? The majority of the time it is because that the families just didn't know the rules. Very sad.

BTW, there is a lot of other material on the OHSAA website. Dig around and become informed.

Last edited:

badmonkeys

Reaction score
Curious,
From the OHSAA sports regulations:

7.2.1) Team Sports ? A member of a school team in the team sports of baseball, basketball, field
hockey, football, ice hockey, soccer, softball and volleyball may not participate in an athletic
contest, a tryout or any type of team or group training or practices with a non-school team in
that same sport during the school team?s season.

It has been discussed before when the school team's season starts. The older links are gone. It was stated before that the season starts when the high school team participates in it's first organized game or scrimmage. I cannot find that language written anywhere. Some say, as posted earlier, it's right after or during tryouts. Was that the old regulation language? Can anyone clarify or provide a link, etc?

badmonkeys

Reaction score
Nevermind,
Got the additional info from Lenski on the other fastpitch site.

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/rglts/SB.pdf

4) Non-Interscholastic Participation
4.1) A member of an interscholastic softball squad (any student who has played in a
scrimmage, preview or regular season/tournament game as a substitute or starter)
sponsored by the Board of Education or other governing board shall not participate
in a non-interscholastic program (tryouts, practice or contest) as an individual or
as a member of a team in the sport of softball during the school’s season (Sports
Regulation 7.3).

Coco Montoya

Reaction score
Till Feb 23rd. That is when coaching can start for schools and tryouts start.
Summer coaches are no longer aloud to do team coaching or practices & can only do one on one or lessons one on one. No group lessons or team training till school team is out of tourney and released by coach.
:cool:

February 23 is when the 2015 season begins in Ohio. Girls may still participate with their travel teams UNTIL their high school has its first scrimmage. Once the scrimmage has taken place , HS players MAY NOT participate in any travel team practices, scrimmages or games until their HS team has finished their season. This is right from Roxanne Price, the OHSAA Softball commissioner.

Dawgsdad

Reaction score
For those who fall into the middle school programs. If your DD plays for a club team that consists of girls from your school's district, she can still participate in her travel team's practices and games. Now if her middle school team is funded by the local high school, she is not permitted to participate in her travel team's practices and games. What is middle school? If its public it goes through the 9th grade but if its private, in our situation, 9th grade is considered high school. Rules are rules but the grey area around this is part of the problem. IMO. If people are looking to catch players at the freshman level, so called breaking the rules because they got beat by "said player or team" need to get over it. We all know OHSAA is overbearing, at least when it comes to the high school athlete. Yes, some rules are necessary but some are over board. There are not many opportunities for the 14U level to play both at the same time but if the player is willing, able and keeping her school work in order, what is the harm? Maybe being new to this age group keeps me na?ve? That's the way I see it.

KO123

Reaction score
February 23 is when the 2015 season begins in Ohio. Girls may still participate with their travel teams UNTIL their high school has its first scrimmage. Once the scrimmage has taken place , HS players MAY NOT participate in any travel team practices, scrimmages or games until their HS team has finished their season. This is right from Roxanne Price, the OHSAA Softball commissioner.

i like this answer

GeneralsDad

Reaction score
For those who fall into the middle school programs. If your DD plays for a club team that consists of girls from your school's district, she can still participate in her travel team's practices and games. Now if her middle school team is funded by the local high school, she is not permitted to participate in her travel team's practices and games. What is middle school? If its public it goes through the 9th grade but if its private, in our situation, 9th grade is considered high school. Rules are rules but the grey area around this is part of the problem. IMO. If people are looking to catch players at the freshman level, so called breaking the rules because they got beat by "said player or team" need to get over it. We all know OHSAA is overbearing, at least when it comes to the high school athlete. Yes, some rules are necessary but some are over board. There are not many opportunities for the 14U level to play both at the same time but if the player is willing, able and keeping her school work in order, what is the harm? Maybe being new to this age group keeps me na?ve? That's the way I see it.

In most Public schools 9th grade is considered High School.