When does it stop? Or will it ever....

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
After hearing another incident of cops being called, ejections, intoxicated parents at the State tournament.... when does the parks and or tournament directors start putting their foot down on the blatant breaking of the rules. Many of these tournaments and parks state no alcohol at the tournament, but I know there are some tournaments that actually sell beer and other items and thats whole other issue in itself.

Let me say first, I do not drink, BUT I am NOT opposed to a parent on my team having a beer or two while watching their kid play ball. But lately, I have seen it get way worse from opponent teams, the blatant breaking of the rules, case after case the "outfield crew" leaving beer can trash, being belligerent, and cops being called to a dang 10U softball game...I have had many tournament officials call me up and say wth asking about my experience with this team or that team because of the degrading of the umpires, to the beer trash, to the yelling at their own players/other opponents and it all comes back to the drunk parents. Many of these culprits are smearing it the tournament directors face that they are breaking the rules, instead of concealing it, many are walking around in the open around 9/10 year old girls.

I am sorry, I am tired of it....

Does this fall on the tournament directors and officials, the park staff, and/or the coaches?

Reaction score
I think it is all of our responsibility to collectively police it. If theres an issue with a parent the other parents on the team gotta step in and let them know its gotta stop. As far as umpires goes if they need to know about it thats what the head coaches are for! I haven't done this as long as you have but have you ever heard an umpire change his mind or change a call if you scream and trash them?? I have learned if you walk out and talk to them like a responsible human being thats supposed to be a role model for kids then they will talk with their partner and try and get it right. The vast majority of umpires like doing it and also wanna do their best as well!!
As far as alcohol goes I think the easiest start is to probably have the sanctioning bodies ban it at Youth aged events. I think it is unfortunate to need to do this, but I also think it is necessary to keep from having some drunk go postal over a 50/50 call in the first inning of the first game of pool play Saturday morning

IRdad09

Reaction score
I've seen this at nearly every tournament so far this year. I know it has always gone on and personally don't have an issue with it as long as people act responsibly. I just think parents have attempted to hide it better in the past. Just my 2 cents.

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I seen a umpire hauled off before because he had way to many Happy drinks.

Anonymous

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I decided to pull my daughter from her team. Over 1/2 the parents would drink the entire practice and/or game time and then drive their daughter's home. Not a great message for this age group.

Run26

Reaction score
Save the daddy pops for the hotel parking lot. Many good times had doing this when my daughters played. Drinking at the park then driving to and from is dangerous and irresponsible.

Stedman00

Reaction score
i've witnessed very few issues in my years. There have been several incidents where we were playing at parks that normally cater to slow pitch and beer was served. But honestly, the adults I have seen as a problem were usually with younger teams (8,10,12u). Is it related to the fact that they are newer to travel? Or the parents on older teams have learned? No telling for sure.

did see a coach drinking in the parking lot between games and that's just a huge no-no IMO.

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
As Coaches we can try and police this but they are adults and gonna do whatever they want to do. I flat out told my parents if u feel you need to drink that’s fine but do it quietly and don’t act a fool. Understand your daughter will be catching a ride with someone else.

Personally I don’t like parents heckling umpires and flat out tell my parents to pipe down. You can cheer the team on and be loud as you want but that’s it. Umpires are human too. They are going to make mistakes. Yelling foul language gets you nowhere with them.

Coaches need to make a stand and let parents know who runs the team. If they act out sorry little Susie is a goner. She Gone! Stop letting it happen Coaches. This falls back on ALL of us. Keep you team in line and run your house. As said in another Post Adults are the toughest age group to coach. So next time u see a group of them in Left Field under the tent getting smashed nicely ask them to think about their DD and lead by example. Personally I don’t want a 10u Athlete thinking it’s fun and cool to drink and act a fool.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Agree with some others ... I enjoy a beer back at the hotel or for dinner as much as anyone, but I don't think drinking should be allowed at youth sporting events.

ALLPH0

Reaction score
WOW! I had no idea this still happened. I figured that was left in rec ball