When is it too much?

When does softball just become too much?

The other day I was driving my daughter home from practice when, out of blue, she said, "Dad, I don't want to play anymore. I'm really beginning to hate softball." I was completely shocked and didn't know what to tell her. She's been playing almost nonstop since the winter. I try not to push her, but she does play on a travel team and another "rec ball" team. I've told her that she doesn't have to play, but she always just shakes her head and tells me that she's fine.

She's become such a fine player, that I'd hate to see her quit, but at the same time, I hate to see her unhappy. Do you think enough is enough?

By the end of summer my DD is about burned out every year. She has played both travel and rec each year, until this year. We stuck solely with the travel and she is still itching to play & practice more. Not all kids can play year round and some decide it's not really for them just when they start to get good.

Give her some time off and just play catch or something else relaxing. If she truly enjoys the game you'll see it in her eyes when you ask her to go throw the ball with you.

The3dm,
I agree 100%

strike3_23,
Dont let her quit. Im telling you. Every time i go to a tournament and I see my old team playing a game I sit there and say the worst thing i ever did was quit that team. First of all she will miss the girls and coaches and second of all travel ball improves your game.
I have actually gotten on another team last year but during that 1 year period that I was teamless I was 100% regretful.

Im telling you.
DONT LET HER QUIT!

I agree with The3dm. My DD is active in softball all year long with travel ball, then fall ball, then winter league. She also runs cross country and does 5K's on the weekends she is not playing softball. If she needs a break then let her take one. If she really loves the game, she'll be back. The thing I try to remember is, they are still kids and if it isn't fun they aren't going to play as hard as the coaches and you would like. If anything drop the "rec ball". That should free up a few minutes. :)

My DD may pass on fall ball this year unless she gets a guarantee that she'll get to rotate around through other positions instead of the ones she normally plays during the season. It's a matter of keeping it interesting and fun.

I know that you are all tired of me talking about the fact that our DD isn't playing travel play for the first time in several years :-[, but as much as I miss seeing her play this summer, I think we did the absolutely correct thing in not trying to convince her to play. She really needed this break and she is very much looking forward to college ball.

So, strikethree, I don't think the issue has to be about "quitting". Let her take a break, but see if she will buy into the proposition that it is only a break and that she should re-evaluate at a future date (establish that date if she's willing) whether she wants to start playing again. Make it clear to her that if she wants to start back up after the break, you'll support her 100%. (Also, I'd definitely lose the rec thing; travel ball is grueling enough for someone who is on the edge of burnout).

BTW, how old is your DD? Because pushing her not to quit after she reaches a certain age (also known as the teens) just may be the kiss of death for her and softball.

i have two dd's, ?both teenagers and i have been careful not to push too hard and to let them have a break when they need it. ?sometimes it may just be one practice. ? i don't want them to become too one dimensional, ?sports only, ?so they participate in other activities, ?not as much fun for me as games, ?but it helps keeps them from becoming burned out. ?as far as what is too much, ?imo when you 8U and 10U teams playing 60 - 70 games a year and going to paid tainers for hitting, ?pitching, that is too much and a receipe for burnout later. ? friends with kids playing coach pitch are traveling to out of town tourny's ?3 and 4 weekends in a row, ?imo too much.