Which age group is most recruited

Converse Kid

Reaction score
In your opinion, which age group do college scouts recruit the most? 14, 16, 18U? Are they looking at the older girls who have established grades and more softball stats or are they looking at the younger age brackets to find the undiscovered girls? I have personally seen different results at all age levels but am wondering who the programs are targeting right now?

tjsmize3

Reaction score
Although I'm an in-betweener in terms of recruiting years right now, based on where things were at just a few years ago and where things appear to be now I would say 16 yrs old seems to be the sweet spot in terms of who is committing. Warren might want to chime in here as he deals with this every day.

spartansd

Reaction score
14U - only really looking at pitchers and get a line on players, no college coach wants or is interested in committing to a 14 year old player, way way more risk than they would like

16U - this is absolutely the sweet spot, and to be honest it is more of a tiered system, the bigger D1s are scooping up the best pitchers and talent at early 16U, your lower D1s are trying typically looking at the young 16s. For instance most D1 schools will be closing out there 2017 classes for sure next Summer and are getting the 2018 class in order this Fall and trying to close it out by next Fall for sure if not next Summer. The NAIA and D3 schools are not getting really serious until you are an old 16. And will look at 18U players.

18U - I would not expect D1 schools to be that active at this age group other than at the Gold level where the elite younger age players would be playing up. But if you are at 18U I would not expect a D1 school to come knocking.

Additionally if you want to get signed by a high D1 then you better have the measurable. By that I mean foot speed, overhand throwing speed, and size. And you better have good bat head speed and be able to hit.

I have been told by many many many D1 schools that they typically only watch the 1-4 hitters on any team if they are just randomly looking at players. The feeling is that if you are not one of the best hitters on your team at that age group then you are not going to be a great hitter in college.

Last Summer at 14U my wife (who coaches) was approached by many D1 school and all any of them asked was who are your best 3-4 hitters. Not who is the fastest. Who throws the hardest. Who is the most clutch. Or best fielder. All they ever asked was who could hit.

So my suggestion to everyone is spend as much time hitting as pitchers spending pitching and you should be in good shape. Of and start making you boding into a athletic machine. You better be able to crush it if you are not fit.

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
Well here you go I even broke it down by Divisions.

Power 5 Schools 14U and 16U

Mid Major D1 16U but more and more are looking at 14U players

D2 16U/18U

D3 18U

So based on that and what I see and hear 16U is still the best!

Last edited:

Louuuuu

Reaction score
But keep in mind that a player still has a chance for the Big Show at 18U if a school loses a player due to change of heart, change of coaches, current roster player quitting, family tragedy, player "un-verballing", etc...

spartansd

Reaction score
Thanks Louuuu I was going to add that but I think some will hear good option rather than exception.

On the flip side, I know a player that walked on at OSU. Got cut. Stayed on as student manager. A bunch of players went down with injuries and ended up getting put on team and was a 4 year letter winner. So the path is as varied as your imagination can handle.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
Oh come on now, we all know they are looking seriously at 11 year olds now........

Happy Friday!!

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
But keep in mind that a player still has a chance for the Big Show at 18U if a school loses a player due to change of heart, change of coaches, current roster player quitting, family tragedy, player "un-verballing", etc...

Yes Lou but the thread was most recruited age group! Not that happens but not real common lol

Last edited:

Louuuuu

Reaction score
Yes Lou but the thread was most recruited age group! Not happens but not real common lol

Well, yeah... But I couldn't let you end a thread after only 4 posts! :cool:

mike_dyer

Reaction score
Really, it depends on who posts it.

Sometimes when people say 16u it's followed by 10 pages of "we hate your guts" and/or "why are you attacking me and/or the organization that I run????" and/or "you need to get on board or you'll get left behind" posts.

Then someone else can post the same thing and get "thanks bunches" as a reply.

It's fickle.

Last edited: