Hitting and Hitters Discussion Whip Hit

BouldersDad

Reaction score
I have had a few ask for instructions on how to make a whip hit for about 15 dollars vs the 75 or 80 from the manufacturer.

Take an aluminum bat and using a pipe cutting tool or hack saw cut the bat in two right where the barrel starts to taper out. Use a 5/8 drill bit to drill a hole in the handle. Also take a baseball and drill a hole straight thru the center of it. Make sure Ito use a fine file to the handle so there is no jagged adages to cut the rope

Take a 1 or a 1and 1/4 spade bit and drill down thru the baseball about to the half way point.

Using 5/8 cord ( I prefer repelling cord it lasts forever ) fish one end thru the hole drilled in the bat, then fish it thru the 5/8 hole in the baseball.

Place a 1/4 inch U clamp on the end of the rope coming out of the ball. It will be a fight and a tight fit but you want it that way. Tighten the two clamp nuts as tight as possible then grab the rope and pull the u clamp back into the cavity made by the spade bit in the base ball. Using a 2 part epoxy resin fill the cavity to the top set the ball up right so it doesn't leak out and let it dry

The baseball should come to the sweet spot of your dd,s bat lay the bat down placing the whip hit next to it. Putting the baseball on the sweet spot and either stretching the handle or shortening it as needed.

Tighten the 1/4 inch U clamp on the handle end.

Taking a small screw driver push it in between the rope and the handle and try to put as much epoxy in the handle as possible.

Once the epoxy has dried wrap the ball in a few layers of black electrical or duct tape and do the same to the handle.

And there you have a 80 dollar hitting tool that will last 5 times as long as the store bought version.

Enjoy

Tim

Irish196

Reaction score
you lost me at "spade bit". This sounds like a good project though. I'll have to see if the husband has any of these tools you speak of.

Irish196

Reaction score
I had never hear of the Whip Hit, so I just looked it up. Would you say it is more effective than an Insider bat for keeping inside the ball? If you had to choose one of the two, which would it be (and why)?

BouldersDad

Reaction score
A spade bit is a drill bit that is wider at the bottom than at the top made to counter sink holes drilled in something. Or easier to understand it creates a cavity.

I have used the whip hit for years in instruction. I have also tried and used the insider bat. My personal feelings are that I prefer the whip it over the insider bat for the following reasons.

It gives you instant and immediate feed back
It creates a front elbow drive that is needed in the swing that the insider bat does not
The ball on ball contact has a sweet spot of a nickel. Your hand path has to be spot on to drive the ball up the middle
To use it correctly it teaches a good first move to the ball.( If your a spinner it will not work)
It forces the front shoulder to be closed more at contact than the insider bat does
It forces you to finish high with proper extension. ( If you roll your wrists and finish around its going to bite you on the back)

These are the huge reasons I prefer one over the other. And this is my opinion only your mileage may vary.

There are those that hate it who never received proper instruction in how to use it and flail it around like a mace. Like any other tool when used correctly it has benefits that are again in my opinion very important to any hitter wanting to take their swing to a higher level.

Tim

brownsfan

Reaction score
DD has used the Whip Hit for years. I echo what Tim states. I don't think there's another tool in hitting that can give you back instant feedback.

FastBat

Reaction score
Love the Whip Hit. I bought one off the internet, when my dd was 8. She has used it for 3 years and her brother has used it for a few months now. It's a good investment, I can see my kids using it for years to come.

FastBat

Reaction score
Would you say it is more effective than an Insider bat for keeping inside the ball? If you had to choose one of the two, which would it be (and why)?

Whip it. It's more versatile.

ValleyStorm

Reaction score
We use both because different players seem to respond to different kinds of feedback. Tim knows what he is talking about for sure.

Rocket8

Reaction score
Whip hits are a great hitting tool, easy to make (have made 3-4).

Last edited:

bigdaddyo1972

Reaction score
I have had a few ask for instructions on how to make a whip hit for about 15 dollars vs the 75 or 80 from the manufacturer.

Take an aluminum bat and using a pipe cutting tool or hack saw cut the bat in two right where the barrel starts to taper out. Use a 5/8 drill bit to drill a hole in the handle. Also take a baseball and drill a hole straight thru the center of it. Make sure Ito use a fine file to the handle so there is no jagged adages to cut the rope

Take a 1 or a 1and 1/4 spade bit and drill down thru the baseball about to the half way point.

Using 5/8 cord ( I prefer repelling cord it lasts forever ) fish one end thru the hole drilled in the bat, then fish it thru the 5/8 hole in the baseball.

Place a 1/4 inch U clamp on the end of the rope coming out of the ball. It will be a fight and a tight fit but you want it that way. Tighten the two clamp nuts as tight as possible then grab the rope and pull the u clamp back into the cavity made by the spade bit in the base ball. Using a 2 part epoxy resin fill the cavity to the top set the ball up right so it doesn't leak out and let it dry

The baseball should come to the sweet spot of your dd,s bat lay the bat down placing the whip hit next to it. Putting the baseball on the sweet spot and either stretching the handle or shortening it as needed.

Tighten the 1/4 inch U clamp on the handle end.

Taking a small screw driver push it in between the rope and the handle and try to put as much epoxy in the handle as possible.

Once the epoxy has dried wrap the ball in a few layers of black electrical or duct tape and do the same to the handle.

And there you have a 80 dollar hitting tool that will last 5 times as long as the store bought version.

Enjoy

Tim

Tim
Can you post some pictures?

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
Tim
Can you post some pictures?

whiphit225-.jpg

Here's the store bought model

BouldersDad

Reaction score
Will post pic in the next day or so , left it at the edge tonight

CoachB25

Reaction score
A spade bit is a drill bit that is wider at the bottom than at the top made to counter sink holes drilled in something. Or easier to understand it creates a cavity.

I have used the whip hit for years in instruction. I have also tried and used the insider bat. My personal feelings are that I prefer the whip it over the insider bat for the following reasons.

It gives you instant and immediate feed back
It creates a front elbow drive that is needed in the swing that the insider bat does not
The ball on ball contact has a sweet spot of a nickel. Your hand path has to be spot on to drive the ball up the middle
To use it correctly it teaches a good first move to the ball.( If your a spinner it will not work)
It forces the front shoulder to be closed more at contact than the insider bat does
It forces you to finish high with proper extension. ( If you roll your wrists and finish around its going to bite you on the back)

These are the huge reasons I prefer one over the other. And this is my opinion only your mileage may vary.

There are those that hate it who never received proper instruction in how to use it and flail it around like a mace. Like any other tool when used correctly it has benefits that are again in my opinion very important to any hitter wanting to take their swing to a higher level.

Tim

Tim,

We are now a half year of using the whip hit for instruction and for HS Team. I'd have to say that I agree with all of the above.

Laser05

Reaction score
Tim showed me some a few years ago and I made some. They were easy to make and great training tool. If my daughter would stop losing them it would be great but they are easy to make.

Shaggy

Reaction score
Here is the one I made from the description. I need to add something in the handle due to it being very light.

xHeNT9U4X7hf86PlIVL26Sq5UebB7LShtt8nzuHuhWEWQ9rWVJXu1fvmIkD4rF4CU5zPEAOSLoz_lel_ljodYI07IjIGR6NJo_p8ONRFIqACeQJUj0Yd_P-fStLh6O7SoE4LAj3VlLIZl--ksI2umC-2K0mmfZUtD0m0urwZVgGORQZjJBS9m4u_8gHObToD1YYrezNCRHNzNYAd18m5iwZkkhdP0dDu_ZT25yjnBIEipq_r9Ud_-ASHgb7sBkZJ1V8SyvLGf6kf9vk3fx5XsshzaGOmEZ4L07mfDOBB1bdk9zG6jk9kD0Ju8RG6-3RtOi0ssjD-9Mr2zryR5fu4KWXj0kx4sKg8KQIRm_zD4RbSXOelq0M0ItY3D1dxKv0OOVbMI4I0vF1BHUfW6wW_-DUuSTNHSkkO-WWybJk4W5wtLCbI1vFlNsANOl3VuAEkY3GDbTBvWiePYFaEFdejHn5J32lHYjA-lJouIESEJ8W514QYUK5rcfcLbcFD5o-RYDfo61fO-NVZBmjai2TxaUqJSk0WR_7HjQfi_KK_KxKQAxDqYFq9tuf1iJgWnIBvMmMlc7noH1F3r1daRmyrlDpU0ayjbNUmCn5iJ3kIHOy9vg=w710-h1260-no

Bink44

Reaction score
Tim, I do remember making these back in the day. I probably made 12 to 15 of them. My first one was made in Howard's garage...lol.