Who quits their team in the middle of a season!?

denised1989

Reaction score
Who quits their team in the middle of a season!? Then player/parent doesn't even have the decency to tell the coach and is a no-show at the next game. Leaving the team with only 9 players for the game. Not a hypothetical. This really happened to our school ball team today.

Last edited:

chixdad

Reaction score
We have had two senior players quit the team this year during games. They were not in the line up repeatedly, asked why and when not given a reason just left. Neither player did a lot to help make themselves a better player, but one had taken hitting lessons a couple years ago.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
To quote Mrs. Evelyn Myers, my 2nd grade teacher at The West End Elementary School:

"Mr. Subtraction is Mr. Addition's best friend."

Bink44

Reaction score
Denised1988...to answear your question...this type of player is typically (but not always) a very self centered/self serving indivudual...whose parents typically (but not always) raised her to think the World revolve's around her every wish.

For example, look at players/families that are on a different travel team each and every year...it is a hilarious predicament that everyone around them sees, but the actual player/family is clueless and blames everyone else!!

Last edited:

FastBat

Reaction score
This is very practical thinking, but this kind of stuff happens. I remember it happened when I was in HS, mid-90's, happened then and it happens now. You just can't please everyone. As long as you know you tried to keep things fair and had good communication, not much you can do!

mike_dyer

Reaction score
If you ask the parent I'm sure they will give a reason.

Ask the coach, who has to replace 6 or 7 players every year at tryouts, and the answer will be very different. It could only be how selfish those 11 and 12 year olds and their families were. All 18 or 20 of them.

Could it be the kid just didn't feel like it any more?

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Who quits their team in the middle of a season!? Then player/parent doesn't even have the decency to tell the coach in person. Instead, the player makes the announcement on social media and is a no-show at the next game. Leaving the team with only 9 players for the game. Really! Not a hypothetical. This really happened to our school ball team today.

There are many reasons why a player would stop playing school or travel ball.

Grades may have been suffering
Parents may be struggling getting DD to and from practice/games
Player may not have been getting much playing time (but, with only 10 that should not have never been the case)..
Conflicts with other players on the team
Communication issues with coaches...I seen this a ton where communication is only by text, twitter or email with some coaches (Maybe why no person contact)...
Injury or Illness of player or family member
Player may have just not liked playing the sport…

The list can go on and on….As will the team...

larrybowman

Reaction score
I think that (unfortunately) is kind of normal for some school teams. Billy's DD is better than Dave's DD but they don't play her because of politics. I heard her mom is sleeping with the coaches brother...yada,yada,yada.....The post by Bink44 pretty much says it all. They are self centered because mommy and daddy told me I was the best there is, so that means its true! OMG this makes me wanna pull my hair out! My DD HS team this yr is having a rough season to say the least, some drama, but nothing like that. At least have the testicular fortitude to tell the coach to his/her face! Or better yet.....put the team first instead of yourself.... wow, there's a deeeeeep thought!

AkronCarPro

Reaction score
I'm sure the kid had her reasons. I'm sure she could have handled it better. But I've also seen coaches who don't have open lines of communication with female athletes and eventually things needlessly boil over, whereas if grievances had been given the proper attention at the outset problems could have been prevented. There are two sides to every story.

Heavy Hitter

Reaction score
What a bunch of hogwash. Whatever happen to finish what you started? High school ball is a short season and will be over in a few weeks. No class on the parents for allowing it to go down that way! As they say they apple doesn't fall to far from the tree. This is the problem with today parents and kids. It is acceptable to just walk away when thing aren't going your way, no commitment. "IT IS ALL ABOUT ME ATTITUDE AND IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT SCREW YOU!"

Last edited:

JoeA1010

Reaction score
Normally I don't condone quitting in the middle of the season. I do think it can be better for the team if someone brings such a bad attitude every day that the team is better off without them.

yossarian

Reaction score
I agree with Cards. You never know what a kid has going on outside of school and sports that could make them feel compelled to quit.

shummel

Reaction score
I also agree with Cards. From a coaching standpoint, if a player gets to a point to where she doesn't want to be there she almost certainly will not be giving 100%. Is that fair to the team in general and the girls that are busting their butts? Would those girls want her there? I'm all about finish what you start, but if you arent 100% IN with what my team is doing, I don't want you there!!!!! I'm ok with quitting and support the girl/family decision to just walk now.

backstop09

Reaction score
Who quits their team in the middle of a season!? Then player/parent doesn't even have the decency to tell the coach in person. Instead, the player makes the announcement on social media and is a no-show at the next game. Leaving the team with only 9 players for the game. Really! Not a hypothetical. This really happened to our school ball team today.

It's not hard to anonymously dog a kid in public but you're not walking in her shoes. If she's #10 on a team that only has 10 players then it sounds to me like it's been a pretty long year. It's easy for you to say she should sit there and smile, be a team player and cheer on your kid. If the roles were reversed, how would your kid feel. And be honest.

Heavy Hitter

Reaction score
It's not hard to anonymously dog a kid in public but you're not walking in her shoes. If she's #10 on a team that only has 10 players then it sounds to me like it's been a pretty long year. It's easy for you to say she should sit there and smile, be a team player and cheer on your kid. If the roles were reversed, how would your kid feel. And be honest.

Not acceptable, I've been there and I told my dd she is not allowed to quit. She doesn't have to play next year but you made a commitment finish the year. What are we teaching our kids when the going gets tough just quit.

Last edited:

SOFTBALLS14

Reaction score
Website
www.mvxpress.com
My thoughts are, :cool: Finish what you started.. I'm sure they had a reason, but two things come to mind that Vince l. Said....
?Individual commitment to a group effort ? that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.?
?Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.? JMO ;)

mike_dyer

Reaction score
Well, you know, the world don't move to the best of just one drum.

And what might be right for you, well, that just might not be right for some.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Not acceptable, I've been there and I told my dd she is not allowed to quit. She doesn't have to play next year but you made a commitment finish the year. What are we teaching our kids when the going gets tough just quit.

Not knowing all the FACTS...I would say this is middle school or non varsity ball since they are struggling to get players.

Anyhow, the quotes from 1950/1960s while classic and good, do not mean much for most under 40 in todays sports environment. I have to shake my head when I see post like, "I would make them finish what they started" especially; when its someone elses kid...

I have no issues when one is critiquing their own kid but there is a lot of those that live in a glass house and throw a ton of stones... (My old quote that gets over used)

I know of ladies that had to leave a team at all levels for various reasons and guess what...They are doing ok without the doom and gloom or end of the world for player and team that posters like Heavy Hitter seems to forecast.

The bottom line is, this kid may not have the support needed coaching or parental, she may have actually NOT wanted to play but did because she was pressured by her friends, she may have been a solid player and hung her team out to dry just to do it..
This case just has too much information not known to form blanket statements ...
I do not see a person leaving a youth sports team causing them down the road to leave jobs, relationships, families etc ...

Last edited: