Who's going to stick up for this peach?

mike_dyer

Reaction score
A guy I know, who will remain nameless unless he wants to chime in and say "yeah, that was me...", told me the very best high school softball coach story I have ever heard.

Girl who plays on his summer team takes the sign from the coach, steps in the box, and smashes a double to the fence. When the play is over her coach calls time, walks out to 2nd base, gets right up in her face, tells her she's not a team player, he's going to kick her off the team or bench her or whatever.

Got any idea what she did that was so horrible?

Guess.

You'll never get it.

The problem was he had given her the home run sign and she only hit a double.....

Yep.

Now,,,,

I want someone tell me that the coach is right and that the selfish brat should have hit a home run as instructed.

Someone tell me that this kid needs to continue to get berated, in front of god and everyone, like this lest they will look down upon her for not finishing what she started.

Someone tell me how no college coach is going to want anything to do with her if she doesn't play for this jewel again next spring.

coachjwb

Reaction score
I have done over 200 customized wristband systems, and not one coach has asked for a homerun sign. Come to think of it, no one has asked for a single, double or triple sign.

Oh, and I call BS on that story.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As many possible idiots that I could think of - I still have to call "BS" on this story!!!!!

Name them! If a coach has a HR sign - then he should be proud to be mentioned......LMAO

coachjwb

Reaction score
I could imagine a coach yelling and joking with a player that they only hit a 2B instead of a HR, and I could also imagine an idiot parent taking it the wrong way ... but I can't imagine a coach who would both have a HR sign and who would be genuinely upset with a player who "only" doubled. Nor can I imagine any selfish reason why a player only wanted a double instead of a HR ...

BS ...

FastBat

Reaction score
Or the other possibility, he gave her the bunt sign, and she swung away???

mike_dyer

Reaction score
It's kind of funny that you think "an idiot parent" would dream this up but that there isn't a coach alive who would do it.

What if the coach is also an idiot parent? Reckon it could happen then or would the fact that they are also a coach over ride the stupidity that comes with being a parent and prevent it from happening?

I'm not at all sure why this is hard to believe. I don't want to believe it, I've seen too much stupidity to put anything past anyone though.

I know a coach, I watch him do this same thing at least once a week. I bet I've seen it 12 times this spring. He's got too many kids on varsity so he tries getting them all into all of the games.

That's a lofty goal, I s'pose, here is where it gets funny though. Without fail he screws it up and tries to make an illegal substitution. Not because he's trying to be shady, because he honestly isn't smart enough to figure it out.

He does the same thing every time an umpire tells him he can't. He walks to the dug out and says "Oh welp,,, I tried to get away with it....."

The guy has only been coaching for 10 or 12 years.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
Or the other possibility, he gave her the bunt sign, and she swung away???

Ok. Suppose that was it. I relayed exactly what I was told, but let's just say he told her to bunt and she swung away instead.

The guy called time, stormed across the field, threw his finger in her face, berated her, etc, etc.

Is that ok because she missed a sign or maybe just flat out ignored him?

Reaction score
I know a coach, I watch him do this same thing at least once a week. I bet I've seen it 12 times this spring. He's got too many kids on varsity so he tries getting them all into all of the games.

That's a lofty goal, I s'pose, here is where it gets funny though. Without fail he screws it up and tries to make an illegal substitution. Not because he's trying to be shady, because he honestly isn't smart enough to figure it out.

He does the same thing every time an umpire tells him he can't. He walks to the dug out and says "Oh welp,,, I tried to get away with it....."

The guy has only been coaching for 10 or 12 years.

What have you been drinking to conjure up nonsense such as this? Why do you feel that it is necessary to blast coaches on this forum to make them appear as blooming idiots? If your attempt it to belittle your HS coach without actually calling them out; your not doing a very good job at it! If I coached your Daughter; you, I, and the AD would have a very serious conversation.

CoachB25

Reaction score
So, you're telling us that in practice this coach practices the home run on demand. BS! This incident is something along the lines of missing a sign and the whole story is not being told here. For example, this player might make it a habit of not doing what the coach ask of them. So, the coach gives a sign and, who knows, this could have been the fourth or fifth time she went on her own and after the coach communicated with her his displeasure of her missing signs. That is as relevant an assumption as your scenario. Then, the Coach is justified.

Reaction score
Website
WWW.OHIOBULLDAWGSELITE.COM
Are there bad coaches out there, sure. But it also isn't difficult to tell which parents enjoy stirring up drama from the sidelines complaining chair to chair, throwing snide comments toward the coaches, and embellishing 1 sided stories on the Internet. Pick your POISON

mike_dyer

Reaction score
What have you been drinking to conjure up nonsense such as this? Why do you feel that it is necessary to blast coaches on this forum to make them appear as blooming idiots? If your attempt it to belittle your HS coach without actually calling them out; your not doing a very good job at it! If I coached your Daughter; you, I, and the AD would have a very serious conversation.

You may coach at the '04 level, but you read and write at about the '08 level.

I didn't conjure anything, I've watched him do it week after week after week.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
So, you're telling us that in practice this coach practices the home run on demand. BS! This incident is something along the lines of missing a sign and the whole story is not being told here. For example, this player might make it a habit of not doing what the coach ask of them. So, the coach gives a sign and, who knows, this could have been the fourth or fifth time she went on her own and after the coach communicated with her his displeasure of her missing signs. That is as relevant an assumption as your scenario. Then, the Coach is justified.

I didn't figure this sort of thing could or would be defended by anyone.

So you're saying the proper punishment for a missed sign is to berate a player on 2nd base in the middle of a game?

Noted.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
The best part of this whole thing is that what he did seems to sit fine with all of you, you just don't buy into the reason given for why he did it.

She was askin' for it. Had to be, right fellas?

You guys don't deserve to look after someone's pets while they're out of town, and people allow you to be around their kids.

Last edited:

coachjwb

Reaction score
While I called BS on the story itself, let me be clear and say that I definitely don't think a coach should go out on the field and berate their players in the middle of a game. But if I called for a bunt and the player hit away, then we are going to talk about it later in a one to one conversation regardless of the outcome of her at bat, and I might even choose to take her out of the game right then and there if I could do so without hurting the team.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
This is the best.

Then, the Coach is justified.

He called time to threaten to kick the kid off of the team in front of everyone watching over something.

He's justified.

And the word "coach" is capitalized.

You can't make this **** up.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

And to anyone considering putting or keeping their kid on a team that any of these,,,, people "Coach", read their words.

When someone tells you who they are you should believe them.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i have a hard time beleiving this and IF it is true... what does the AD think about his (coaches) actions?

Run26

Reaction score
I think my oldest DD's HS team had a pitcher receiving a HR sign. She did a pretty good job delivering too.

Run26

Reaction score
The best part of this whole thing is that what he did seems to sit fine with all of you, you just don't buy into the reason given for why he did it.

She was askin' for it. Had to be, right fellas?

You guys don't deserve to look after someone's pets while they're out of town, and people allow you to be around their kids.

Unfortunately, your reading comprehension is skewed to what you believe you're reading. No one is saying the coach was in the right for berating a player for not hitting a HR - the forum is saying you are wrong for writing such a BS story.

Carry on.

Bink44

Reaction score
First off, I have never heard of a HR sign in a Coaches repertoire. 2nd, I would never condone a Coach calling time and berating a player in front of everyone.

The most likely scenario was a missed bunt sign. In such case, I would be happy that my player had a succefull AB and after the half inning, put my arm around her and say "Hey Kid...you know you missed my bunt sign" and that would be the end of it.

Now if there was a pattern of disrespect, with this being the 3rd or 4th time this player had missed my bunt signs, and believe me...a Coach knows when this is happening...the following is how I would handle it.

I would say " Time Blue" and walk with my score card to home plate. I would inform the home umpire that I had a substitution #42 in for #37 and resume the game.

After the game I would address the whole Team on missed signs, while not singling out any one player. At the start of the next game I would communicate with the player that was purposely missing signs on my expectations of her and the Team. I would then communicate that she would start off riding Mr Pine. She would be expected to continue following Team protocol by partnering up with a Teamate and throwing down the foul line on defense and running to the fence with Teamates on offense. If after a couple of innings, she is being Team oriented then I reinsert her in the lineup and we go from there :)

Last edited: