Why do you pay so much?

yossarian

Reaction score
Good read. I agree that the benefits of playing/training at a high level come with a cost that has to be weighed against all your other family priorities. My wife and I have an agreement – we don't share what we spend on sports, music or other training or experiences for our daughter. Not because we're ashamed of it or don't feel we can justify it. We just decided some people in our circles just wouldn't understand, ever, and we're old enough to know our job isn't to convince them. We have plenty of friends in travel sports, music, travel or other educational circles to talk with about that kinda stuff.

It would be interesting to know how high a level this person's kid is playing at and the financial requirement that goes with it. Some people think spending $500/year on a sport is insane. Some people spend $10,000+ per year easily and think nothing of it.

wow

Reaction score
Read the first comment on the linkedin page. Classic.

The money debate for sports will never go away. You have a choice. You look at it as an expense or investment. Some people buy Corvettes, some Harleys, some gamble it. Other save and then they die. Life is about the experiences. Everyone's threshold for financial expenders are different. If you choose to spend it on yr kids sports that's your choice. Is its a sound investment? NOPE, and anyone who thinks it is delusional.

Its about value. Some schools HS is $1200/yr. Some travel clubs are same or less. You have choices, however who you play matters and I would certainly think paying for quality events more important!

yossarian

Reaction score
Read the first comment on the linkedin page. Classic.

The money debate for sports will never go away. You have a choice. You look at it as an expense or investment. Some people buy Corvettes, some Harleys, some gamble it. Other save and then they die. Life is about the experiences. Everyone's threshold for financial expenders are different. If you choose to spend it on yr kids sports that's your choice. Is its a sound investment? NOPE, and anyone who thinks it is delusional.

Its about value. Some schools HS is $1200/yr. Some travel clubs are same or less. You have choices, however who you play matters and I would certainly think paying for quality events more important!

You should reply to his comment and say, "You paid $180 for soccer??!! That's ridiculous for a sport where they only use half their limbs!"
Actually, someone just went on there 1 minute ago and called that comment out.

Mykidcanplay

Reaction score
Great read! We all have are reasons to spend our hard earned $$$ on whatever we want. I choose to spend it on my kids sports The look on my DD face this past weekend when she hit the game winning run in was priceless. No amount of money could re create that feeling. I have to admit I am addicted to travel softball and seeing my DD smile from ear to ear.

311road

Reaction score
Unfortunately, parents who complain about paying for sports are typically the same ones who see nothing wrong with spending $1000 on an iPad to keep their children entertained

LinkAiris

Reaction score
Unfortunately, parents who complain about paying for sports are typically the same ones who see nothing wrong with spending $1000 on an iPad to keep their children entertained
Great read! We all have are reasons to spend our hard earned $$$ on whatever we want. I choose to spend it on my kids sports The look on my DD face this past weekend when she hit the game winning run in was priceless. No amount of money could re create that feeling. I have to admit I am addicted to travel softball and seeing my DD smile from ear to ear. It is better for me to use easy money loan app than working my ass off.
We need to pay for everything in our life! That is how our world is working

Last edited:

daboss

Reaction score
That is a good read. I honestly never thought to put it into words like this but in a way I've always had the mindset.

I've never argued with others on the money spent. I have wondered how others can afford it. Priorities. Everyone's points of interest posted so far are truly very insightful.

I always found it interesting that many of the parents claiming they can't afford the experience are the ones smoking cigarettes and the first to order drinks at the Bar and Grill between games. They want a break from paying their dues while other parents bring picnic baskets and spend time under a shade tree, driving an older clunker to tournaments and always willing to help out.

I have the utmost respect for the ones that make it work.