Womens College Wolrd Series

not believing this--Florida 11-0 over Alabama in the bottom of the first!! will likely be short game..

The score now 13-1 Fla. in the bottom of the 2nd. Good old fashioned tater mashin

dang home plate blue in the Baylor - Ariz St game is Bad ! called several strikes for ASU the were clearly FAR OFF THE PLATE ! then Squeezes the Baylor girl and won't give her what should be a legit strike. MD

I was thinking that the Alabama girl could have really used the ump from the ASU-Baylor game, because she couldn't get anything on the outside corner. Don't know if it would have helped in the long run though.

twinsdad --did you think he gave the ASU pitcher
a mile while squeezing the Baylor kid ?

Speaking of Baylor, but is anyone else questioning

#1 How a kid with a fractured face can put on a catchers mask
#2 How hitting a ball square into your face doesn't cause a concussion
#3 How Mom and Coach can both believe a kid when she says I'm fine
#4 How you could let a kid (as a parent or a coach) into the batters box with a fractured face and not even require a facemask on the batting helmet.

I give the kid tremendous kudos for being as tough as they come but I cringe wondering what a foul tip into the catchers mask might have done to move around what had to be floating bones in her face right now.

I did notice that the injured Baylor catcher had a mask on her batting helmet for yesterday's game.
Her face also looked....broken. Gotta wonder about some folks decision making process.

If it was football she'd be sitting out with "Turf Toe".... Tough Kid!

Yeah, but I think she had something like 19 hr's for the year, correct me if I'm wrong.

When you only score 2 runs you need all the HR's you can get. Backups probably don't have near the fire power she had the potential of.

I seriously doubt this young lady was playing without a thorough and extensive medical examination. Give her parents - and the athlete - some credit. Without knowing intimate details of her injuries, anyone is just guessing about her medical status. Swelling is a part of the body's healing process, and although it looks bad, I'm sure an athlete in the national spotlight is getting the best medical care.

Let's go a different direction. After ASU's spanking of the Gators last night, I think it shows why great pitching can trump great hitting. There is no doubt Gators are capable, but last night showed how an ace pitcher can shut you down. Take away that ace, and the tables are turned. No use crying that the ump took the bats away from the Gators in the first inning (which they did), but there was no recovery after that. I think it also showed that hitting requires confidence/competence/stick-to-your game plan. Gators lost TWO of those elements last night - confidence (after the 1st inning) and sticking to the game plan - which HAD to be "LAY OFF THE RISE". At this level, yes - it CAN be done. Granted, a 16u rise ball pitcher can literally own a great hitter, but these are some of the best women hitters in the game today!

Is tonight going to be a repeat of last evening?? It's a given that Gators are going to see more of the same pitching, and Gator pitching will no doubt give up a LOT of hits. IMO, if the Gators MUST:

1) Use better hitting technique, game plan and DISCIPLINE
2) Eliminate senseless fielding errors and miscues.
3) Use change of speed more and keep pitches LOW and moving
4) Do a better job of keeping the ball out of the wheelhouse!

I absolutely believe that (pitching being equal - which it never is) Florida is a much better hitting team than Arizona State. Yeah, they weren't last night, but again-- pitching rules.

It would be nice to see an SEC team start a trend of east coast WCWS champions!